Multi watt dual rec VS roadster combo VS MK V combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabsonuro

Reaction score
So after seeing i cant get a mark v head (lack of funds) i have the option between these three. I am concerned about loudness, as i only play in my basement. On my current 18 watt head, i can turn the clean channel to the max. I can turn the full boost channel up to around half way before it gets too loud. (tubemeister 18)

I can get

MK V combo- 2399$
Roadster combo used- 1999.99$
Multi watt dual rec+ 2x12 cab- 2450$

all before tax.

Which do you think would be best? they all have similar wattages.

im chasing THE metal sound. Metallica, disturbed etc. but i also play classic rock and want a nice clean sound

Please speak if you think none of these would fit the bill.

Well, if volume is your key stipulation, then my suggestion would be the Mark V. It can go down to 10 watts on all three channels. Both the Roadster and the Newborn Recto's can only go down to 50 watts. You may find "decent" tones when you severely lower the volume on these two amps (some may debate that), but to get a truly great tone and THE metal tone as you refer too, you must let these beasts breathe. I have both a Roadster 2x12 combo and a Mark V head which I run through a Recto 4x12. When it's at home, I turn the Roadster way down and just put an OCD or Tubescreamer in front to get better "low volume" tone. The Newborns are a little brighter and the Roadster is a little darker, but both can provide an incredible metal tone when set up right. The Mark V can do incredible metal as well, but it's a much different metal than the Recto's. They're tighter and sit in a different EQ spectrum. Hope this helps.

If you leave the Roadster Combo's Effects loop engaged (switch in the back of the amp) you can easily achieve bedroom volumes. But be aware that when you hard bypass the effects loop (flip the same switch) the volume is frighteningly loud! So really, you get the best of both worlds! :)

i have only played the dual rec with my guitar through a marshall cab and it sounded OK.

I am a little confused, the Mark V head should be cheaper then the Mark V combo, how come you can afford the combo but not the head?

gabsonuro said:
So after seeing i cant get a mark v head (lack of funds) i have the option between these three. I am concerned about loudness, as i only play in my basement. On my current 18 watt head, i can turn the clean channel to the max. I can turn the full boost channel up to around half way before it gets too loud. (tubemeister 18)

I can get

MK V combo- 2399$

all before tax.

im chasing THE metal sound. Metallica, disturbed etc. but i also play classic rock and want a nice clean sound

siggy14 said:
I am a little confused, the Mark V head should be cheaper then the Mark V combo, how come you can afford the combo but not the head?
siggy14 said:
I also need to buy a cab aswell... the mkv plus cab is almost 3000 bucks

I see, well if you really have your heart set on a Mark V, then buy used and buy a used guitar cabinet, there are plenty out there.

gabsonuro said:
siggy14 said:
siggy14 said:
I also need to buy a cab aswell... the mkv plus cab is almost 3000 bucks

siggy14 said:
I see, well if you really have your heart set on a Mark V, then buy used and buy a used guitar cabinet, there are plenty out there.

gabsonuro said:
siggy14 said:
siggy14 said:
I cannot find a used mk v head anywhere at all. I dont want to buy from craigslist or kijiji as who knows what problems those amps have. I tried a mini recto through a marshall 4x12 and was reaally not impressed tbh.

I sell stuff on Craigslist all the time. Don't be so worried. Even if you are skeptical, you can play test it before you buy it. Not to mention that Mesa's 5 year warranty is transferable.

The biggest plus for Craigslist is that prices are negotiable. Buyers are typically willing to budge on their price to get the item sold. A dealer's price is the price. Plus tax. :)

I think i saw a used Mark V in the classifieds here today, might want to keep your eye on them.

gabsonuro said:
siggy14 said:

I cannot find a used mk v head anywhere at all. I dont want to buy from craigslist or kijiji as who knows what problems those amps have. I tried a mini recto through a marshall 4x12 and was reaally not impressed tbh.
[/quote]

gabsonuro said:

I can get

MK V combo- 2399$

all before tax.

i just got a MKV combo from ebay at a great price with 2 years left on the warranty..was under 1900.00
and i just scored a 2x12 recto cab for 450.00
there are a lot of good deals there,,personally i stay away from craigslist but thats just me..
the MKV will cover all the sounds you are looking for and then some..and the 10watt mode is great for the living room
all i can say is dont compare the V with a recto..... totally different sounds
so to have some variety i got the MKV and i love it so far.....(going from a full rack unit)
mostly everyone here will agree that the V is the way to go,,,,,,"bang for the buck"
and the info on the forum here is priceless
good luck and let us know what u decide :twisted:

Back