Mesa 5:25+/5:50+ head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabsonuro

Reaction score
I am very very interested in this head after kind of deciding the Mark V isn't really needed for just basement playing. I'm wondering if the 5:xx+ series are any decent. Can they do thrash metal? i play just about every style of music but mostly rock and metal. And is the 5:50+ better than the 5:25+? or are the differences just in wattage settings?

The amps are really good. They have a bright, recto-ish tone, but not as much gain. The addition of the GEQ makes them very flexible for tone.

The 25 and 50 versions have quite different tone and feel due to the very different output stages. If you want very stiff and punchy, go with the 5:50. If you want more saturation and sag, the 5:25 may work for you. Both have similar maximum volume, so the power rating shouldn't be a big differentiator.

Both amps share the exact same Preamps and Features.
The only difference is in the power Section - EL 84 with 25w max vs 6L6 with 50w max.

elvis said:
Both have similar maximum volume, so the power rating shouldn't be a big differentiator.
This is true, as long as you don´t need a clean tone - the 5:50 has a lot more headroom in the clean area, which makes it a little more flexible.
If you use the amp for crunch and highGain, the 5:25+ might be the better choice.

Did you watch the demo video? It shows the direction of what you can expect from this amp.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express+550.html#gpm1_4
I replaced my 5:25 (old version) with a 5:50+ and I think, it was a good decision.
Both Amps are great though.

I would NOT recommend this amp for any sort of thrash metal! If you must stick with a Boogie I'd pick up a used F series, Nomad 45, Mark IV, etc before an Express unless you are going to crank it up!

^^^^ THIS.

One of my jam-mates just bought a 5:50+, and while it is a spectacular amp, it definately doesn't strike me as anything in the neighborhood of a thrash amp. If you're into blues, it's very nice.

Latest posts

Back