which mesa to get?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabsonuro

Reaction score
So i want to get a mesa head n cab, and i will be pairing it with a 2x12 recto cab. (Vertical or horizontal?)
Im currently just jamming in my basment and im not gigging, so im looking for something that will excell from low to mid volume situations. I cureently own an 18 watt tubemeister 18 anr can crank it fully without pissing anyone off.

I can get:
Roadster head-2100$
Multiwatt dual rec-1800$
Mark v-2250$

I play just about every type of music, but mostly rock (gnr, acdc) and thrash metal (mostly metallica)

Have you considered a Mini-Recto?

IMO, fullsize Rectos are rather mediocre at low volumes. They do alright when moderately loud and really start to shine once they hit loud stage volumes.

The Mark V is good at everything from low volume to high volume, although it also tends to sound better as the volume increases.

I would say Mark V would do what you want. It will do Metallica fine.

2nd choice would be Roadster. I have that and feel I can get just about any sound with it, but as Screaming said, volume makes it great.

man i am so stuck about what to buy....... at the same time i want a mark V, but ive been told from people that its far too loud to be a home only amp and heard from some people its great for a home only amp. Im questioning how practical a 100w head is.... i can't decide if i should stick with the tubemeister i have now and get maybe a PRS or a LP standard, or go for a 100W head.

gabsonuro said:
man i am so stuck about what to buy....... at the same time i want a mark V, but ive been told from people that its far too loud to be a home only amp and heard from some people its great for a home only amp. Im questioning how practical a 100w head is.... i can't decide if i should stick with the tubemeister i have now and get maybe a PRS or a LP standard, or go for a 100W head.

If the Tubemeister gets you the tones you want, pursuing another amp seems redundant (to me). If you have access to try before you buy, definitely do that. And if you feel you just want a little mesa character with the tubemeister, Mesa has just released a series of pedals that might do just that, and be a lot cheaper than an amp head. On the other hand, if you just want the high gain sounds, a used mark 4 would suit you well, or perhaps a Single Rectifier. The SR is 50 watts, which will be a little quieter, but not a lot, but can be had for a lot cheaper (used).

Get the Mark V. It nails the tones you're after and excels in low volume, recording, jamming with a band, tearing heads off at shows, etc, etc... 8)

It really does sound like the Mark V would be right for you. Go try one out for yourself if you can.

I am a fan of the roadster and not the V. It just suits my style better. With that said, there's nothing about my roadster that makes me think it would be great to play it at acceptable volumes that won't piss off everybody. At our rehearsals it is LOUD and the amps is just waking up in the 50 watt mode (output is just above 9:00). Like Daisy said, it starts to sound great at stage volumes. If you're not playing out and you don't like the MR, then it's too much.

Stick with the V and enjoy those 10watt settings.

I vote for keeping your current amp and donating $2,000 to your favorite charity, a local church, or a food bank.

That's not what this forum is about, though. ;)

If your 18 watt isn't cutting it, based on your first post, Mark V all the way!

Back