Rectifier diode problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elbowselbows

Reaction score
I have a Stiletto trident stage 2 , recently while playing a gig the head cut out, went silent, couldn't get it going again. After taking it to the shop we found that one of the recifier diodes had heated up? Rattled ? And fallen out and a second one had come loose at one end and then re soldered itself when cooled. Luckily the diode was still rolling around in the chaise so he just soldered it back on. He figured the component had be cold soldered from the factory and that was way it came off because the head worked fine after.

It's now be a couple of months and I'm starting to wonder if that was all it was? Some of my tubes have shown wear unevenly . The stock power tubes in the middle 150watt position have darkened burnt spots on the glass indicating a lot of wear. Also, the rectifier tubes in the outter spots, 100 and 150 watt positions have white char on the glass around he bottom . All other tubes are fine.

I dunno, maybe I should just take it into my amp guy.

I've recently noticed that a volume problem that I've had since the beginning on the tube rectifier setting has gotten worse and I now know it's just not the way it's suppose to sound. (This being my first tube rectified amp)

I'm thinking it's a bad rectifier tube, could a rectifier tube cause problems in the silicon diode circuit ??
I can post pics if needed.

"The stock power tubes in the middle 150watt position have darkened burnt spots on the glass indicating a lot of wear."

Who told you this? This is probably normal. It's a result of the manufacturing process which helps to ensure a more complete vacuum inside the tube. It can look silver or black.

"Also, the rectifier tubes in the outer spots, 100 and 150 watt positions have white char on the glass around he bottom."

White powder-like material on the inside of any tube means "FAIL" due to loss of vacuum.

K, thanks,
The rectifier tubes still work ok if the amp is pushed, high volume or bold setting. Maybe there is still enough vacuum in the tubes to enable them to work sometimes but are on the way out.

The darkening on the power tubes I'm seeing is very different from the black/silver on the top of the tube that is suppose to be there from manufacturing . This darkening has appeared over time and is just a shade or two darker then the glass and can still be looked through.

I read that this was do to wear in and article about tube maintenance , I've been checking out a lot of info trying to learn, but sorry I can't remember where.

Not knowing anything about this amp, I would say it is very unlikely that the silicon diode rectifier is even used when the tube rectifier is switched on. So a bad rectifier tube is unlikely to cause your problem.

It sounds like you have a heat problem. The melting solder is likely a combination of high heat and high current fouling the solder joint. Careful resoldering with plenty of high-temp solder, plus adding a cooling fan, would be a prudent fix.

And change your tubes if you suspect problems. Running them as long as they make noise, even in the wake of amp problems, seems like a bad bet.

K, rad , thanks I'll change out the odd looking rec tubes and hopefully the solder for the diodes holds everything together.

Latest posts

Back