Roadster owners -- important service information

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackieTHEjokeman

Reaction score
I just got a call from the shop that sold me my Roadster. They said that Mesa Boogie needs all Roadster owners to take it to an authorized service technician ASAP. They have to add a resistor (or was it a transistor) to the head, to add to its longevity. I will be taking mine in over the weekend. Just an FYI. I have also confirmed this on other forums from other Roadster owners too.

I heard this too, as mine was delayed in shipping out from Boogie do to a tech fix...I just got mine Tuesday and it was supposed to arrive a week and a half earlier.

Is the integrity of Boogie lessening? First the RKII delay and the problem of that amp switching from ch3 vintage to ch4 modern because of some crackling, and now this?!

How long ago did they announce this? I have a Roadster head on order so hopefully it has already been taken care of by the time I get it.

Also, how long was the delay in your order? I was expecting mine in the next week or two. Hopefully it won't be too much longer than that.

Yeah, it sounds like Mesa needs to do a little more R&D before they release an amp. In their defense though, it is not uncommon to experience a few hickups in a newly released amp. That is the same reason why I don't buy the first year of a new model car.

Hopefully this is taken care of quickly and effectively.

Mine got delayed by about a week and a half...my understanding is that they had to go through all of the Roadsters they had assembled in stock to implement the update...so if yours is coming from Mesa, it shoud be addressed.

BrokenRomeo said:
Mine got delayed by about a week and a half...my understanding is that they had to go through all of the Roadsters they had assembled in stock to implement the update...so if yours is coming from Mesa, it shoud be addressed.

How long ago did you get your's? Hopefully mine was built/being built with the mod already in place.

Where was the resister located and how did they discover it was a problem? Do any of you guys have more info on this roadster service problem?

Patience...

I had all the time in the world to wait for my RK II, as long as I got it in flawless working order, which I did. I was giving Mesa **** for not getting my RK II to me fast enough. For that, I blame myself, not them. I paid $2500 for it. If I got it in non-working order, and it took as long as it did (9 months) thats a different story.

I wouldn't blame them too much. It's a new amp, they are trying to get your product to you as fast and flawless as possible.

Even though I don't have the Roadster, thanks for the update.

I received my roadster in June...my first Mesa...haven't been notified of anything. How do they normally go about notifying you about such issues? From the Factory or Dealer?

thanks

jackieTHEjokeman said:
I just got a call from the shop that sold me my Roadster. They said that Mesa Boogie needs all Roadster owners to take it to an authorized service technician ASAP. They have to add a resistor (or was it a transistor) to the head, to add to its longevity. I will be taking mine in over the weekend. Just an FYI. I have also confirmed this on other forums from other Roadster owners too.

Who did you buy your Roadster from in San Diego and how much did you pay? I am going to order one tomorow. My closes Mesa dealer is Guitar Trader.

I bought mine from Guitar Trader. From what they said, I got the first Roadster in San Diego. Not even the GC in San Marcos had it yet.
Which part of Chula Vista do you live? I live in Otay Ranch.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
I bought mine from Guitar Trader. From what they said, I got the first Roadster in San Diego. Not even the GC in San Marcos had it yet.
Which part of Chula Vista do you live? I live in Otay Ranch.

I live in Eastlake Trails, as far as GC I rather not deal with them.

If you don't mind me asking how much $$$ did you have to pay for your roadster and how much did you have to put down to order it?

MetalMatt said:
Patience...

I had all the time in the world to wait for my RK II, as long as I got it in flawless working order, which I did. I was giving Mesa sh!t for not getting my RK II to me fast enough. For that, I blame myself, not them. I paid $2500 for it. If I got it in non-working order, and it took as long as it did (9 months) thats a different story.

I wouldn't blame them too much. It's a new amp, they are trying to get your product to you as fast and flawless as possible.

Even though I don't have the Roadster, thanks for the update.

I agree. It's better that they address the issue now rather than waiting until it becomes a problem, even if I do have to wait a little longer. That's why I own Mesa's, not only do they sound great but they are a great company that takes the steps to make their amps the most reliable on the market.

I just called my dealer to confirm what I've heard here and to see if there is any substancial delay in Roadsters being shipped. He said he saw the service bulletin and that it was just one resister that they were adding. He said they havn't had problems with any of the amps, but they are taking precautionary steps to fix the amps. That gives me good piece of mind. He also dosn't think that this will delay Roadster shipments that significantly. If I have to wait an extra week or two, that would be well worth it. I should be getting mine any week now. :D And at least I have my Dual Rec to help pass the time. :D

Thanks for the info jTj, I called my dealer and yes they got a bulletin last week. They have to get the instructions first, so I can get this done next week. I'm a little disappointed they didn't tell their customers about it, but at least they'll do it. :)

got the call last night from Mesa Boogie themselves. I'm actually quite impressed, that they'd take the time to notify me instead of using a third party, seeing as I'm in Ontario Canada. Chris at Mesa told me that i'ts like a 20 min fix, althought there is only 2 certified service center's in Ontario.
Luckily one is about an hour away...

For MESA BOOGIE Roadster Amplifiers - Serial Numbers VR-00001 through VR-00669

Attached is a Service Advisory from Randall Smith for the Roadster Series of amplifiers only. This is a VERY simple update for the Roadster. The purpose of this update is to insure a proper voltage balance in the power supply for future reliability. There will be no change in the sound or performance of the Roadster. I feel compelled to mention that, to date, we have not had any failures nor would we be likely to see any for quite a long time, even if this modification went unaddressed. There is no need for alarm. This update is intended to guarantee and insure long-term satisfaction and we strongly encourage all Roadster Owners and any Mesa Boogie Dealers that have Roadsters that fall within the serial numbers listed above to have this modification performed under warranty at their earliest convenience.

This mod is relatively quick and easy for a qualified technician or anyone comfortable working with a soldering iron, screwdriver and amplifier components (See attached Adobe File "RDSTRMOD1.pdf ). The only part needed for this update is a 220k 1/2W metal film resistor - Mesa PN# 505220. For the sake of time and convenience, should you wish to perform the modification yourself, we will expedite the shipment of as many of these resistors as necessary.

For those not confident performing this mod, please feel free to send any Roadster Head or Combo you may have in stock that fall within the serial numbers listed above to an Authorized Repair Center as soon as possible.

If your Service Center situation requires that you send an Amp back to our factory for service, then please note the instructions for removing the chassis from its cabinet in the attached Adobe file above, (see attached Adobe File "RDSTRMOD2.pdf ) so that you can send the chassis only. We will provide call tags for anyone that needs to send a chassis back to the factory. In this situation, as always, please contact either myself or Rich Duvall (if you cannot reach me) to obtain a Return Authorization number.

Mesa Boogie will contact any customer who has registered their Roadster Warranty and supplied contact information as a follow up to this email. Additionally, to account for those who have made a purchase but may not have registered yet, we urge you to contact your customers to inform them of this advisory.

We regret any inconvenience this modification may cause but feel that our mutual customers may be less inconvenienced now by this simple modification than they would should a potential failure occur in the future. We know players trust us with their tone and feel it is always best to be proactive in ensuring the long term performance of our products for those who rely on it.

Thank you BRomeo for posting the notice.

My serial number is in the range, bought it in June. I have not received any notification from Mesa nor my Dealer. This board is probably the only reason I found out about it. I did call the my local repair center (prior to reading your post) and they confirmed everything.

I should be getting my Roadster in a couple of days. If it falls in between these numbers, I'll call Mesa and get the mod.

I think the fact that they are willing to do this shows a lot of integrity. I've had 3 Marshall TSL's and only 1 of them is still working. The other 2 had serious Bias problems that stemmed from poor manufacturing and placing the wrong parts in the amps.

Marshall won't cop to either one. I'll never own a newer Marshall again because of this.

Hey BRomeo, you could have at least thanked me for posting it on HCAF...

Unless you're on the rep's mailing list too...

Latest posts

Back