The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:47 am 
Mark II

got the call last night from Mesa Boogie themselves. I'm actually quite impressed, that they'd take the time to notify me instead of using a third party, seeing as I'm in Ontario Canada. Chris at Mesa told me that i'ts like a 20 min fix, althought there is only 2 certified service center's in Ontario.
Luckily one is about an hour away...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:06 pm 
Bottle Rocket

For MESA BOOGIE Roadster Amplifiers - Serial Numbers VR-00001 through VR-00669

Attached is a Service Advisory from Randall Smith for the Roadster Series of amplifiers only. This is a VERY simple update for the Roadster. The purpose of this update is to insure a proper voltage balance in the power supply for future reliability. There will be no change in the sound or performance of the Roadster. I feel compelled to mention that, to date, we have not had any failures nor would we be likely to see any for quite a long time, even if this modification went unaddressed. There is no need for alarm. This update is intended to guarantee and insure long-term satisfaction and we strongly encourage all Roadster Owners and any Mesa Boogie Dealers that have Roadsters that fall within the serial numbers listed above to have this modification performed under warranty at their earliest convenience.

This mod is relatively quick and easy for a qualified technician or anyone comfortable working with a soldering iron, screwdriver and amplifier components (See attached Adobe File "RDSTRMOD1.pdf ). The only part needed for this update is a 220k 1/2W metal film resistor - Mesa PN# 505220. For the sake of time and convenience, should you wish to perform the modification yourself, we will expedite the shipment of as many of these resistors as necessary.

For those not confident performing this mod, please feel free to send any Roadster Head or Combo you may have in stock that fall within the serial numbers listed above to an Authorized Repair Center as soon as possible.

If your Service Center situation requires that you send an Amp back to our factory for service, then please note the instructions for removing the chassis from its cabinet in the attached Adobe file above, (see attached Adobe File "RDSTRMOD2.pdf ) so that you can send the chassis only. We will provide call tags for anyone that needs to send a chassis back to the factory. In this situation, as always, please contact either myself or Rich Duvall (if you cannot reach me) to obtain a Return Authorization number.

Mesa Boogie will contact any customer who has registered their Roadster Warranty and supplied contact information as a follow up to this email. Additionally, to account for those who have made a purchase but may not have registered yet, we urge you to contact your customers to inform them of this advisory.

We regret any inconvenience this modification may cause but feel that our mutual customers may be less inconvenienced now by this simple modification than they would should a potential failure occur in the future. We know players trust us with their tone and feel it is always best to be proactive in ensuring the long term performance of our products for those who rely on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:34 am 
Mark II

Thank you BRomeo for posting the notice.

My serial number is in the range, bought it in June. I have not received any notification from Mesa nor my Dealer. This board is probably the only reason I found out about it. I did call the my local repair center (prior to reading your post) and they confirmed everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:45 pm 
Donating Member

I should be getting my Roadster in a couple of days. If it falls in between these numbers, I'll call Mesa and get the mod.

I think the fact that they are willing to do this shows a lot of integrity. I've had 3 Marshall TSL's and only 1 of them is still working. The other 2 had serious Bias problems that stemmed from poor manufacturing and placing the wrong parts in the amps.

Marshall won't cop to either one. I'll never own a newer Marshall again because of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:14 pm 
Donating Member

Hey BRomeo, you could have at least thanked me for posting it on HCAF...

Unless you're on the rep's mailing list too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:54 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Actually, my local dealer whom I just purchased a Roadster from, emailed it to me, because I had called him about mine due to the posting on the Mesa site...but I did see it posted on HC too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:27 pm 
Mark II

Monsta-Tone wrote:
I should be getting my Roadster in a couple of days. If it falls in between these numbers, I'll call Mesa and get the mod.

I think the fact that they are willing to do this shows a lot of integrity. I've had 3 Marshall TSL's and only 1 of them is still working. The other 2 had serious Bias problems that stemmed from poor manufacturing and placing the wrong parts in the amps.

Marshall won't cop to either one. I'll never own a newer Marshall again because of this.

Just placed an order for a Roadster. :wink:

As far as Marshall quality, the only reason I bought a TSL is because I got it from Voodoo Amps directly with a deluxe mod. When researching the amp I read so many horror stories with this amp. They seem to be hit or miss. I knew the guys at Voodoo would make sure everything was in working order. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have taken the gamble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:47 pm 
Donating Member

The TSL's sound good, but ......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:52 pm 
Mark II

First just want to say hey. Looking forward to some good advise from this place. Does this recall 001 - 699 include the combos also? I just got a 1x12 combo. 1st tube combo I've ever owned. Was looking at a F50 decided on the roadster. So far it's pretty cool.

Last edited by francric on Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:52 am 
Mark II

francric wrote:
First just want to say hey. Looking forward to some good advise from this place. Does this recall 001 - 699 include the combos also? I just got a 1x12 combo. 1st tube combo I've ever owned. Don't know if I bit off more than I can chew. Was looking at a F50 decided on the roadster. So far it's pretty cool.

I am almost certain the service notice applies to the combo...check with mesa though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:45 am 
Donating Member

It does apply to the Combo as well, but it is not a recall. It is simply a Service Bulletin.

It took me longer to pull the chassis out of the amp than it did to add the part.

It should be extremely painless if there is a Mesa Dealer or Service Center near you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:36 am 
Donating Member

Have you got the .pdf files for the mod?

Ciao ...

Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:00 am 
Donating Member

I found out from Pro Audio (the company that imports Mesa's into Australia) that all Roadsters have had the modification done by them upon entering the country. Looks like I'm in the clear.

Ciao ...

Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:05 am 
Mark I

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread, but I came across this post when searching about an issue with my Roadster..

Is there anyway to tell if this service has been done to a used amp? I have model VR-000084 that I bought used privately a couple years ago. I wasn't aware of this service notice until now.

I've pulled the amp from the chassis to take a look at the guts, but not sure what I'm looking for in regards to checking if the service mod was ever done by a previous owner or dealer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:44 pm 
Donating Member

the.rev wrote:
I'm sorry to revive such an old thread, but I came across this post when searching about an issue with my Roadster..

Is there anyway to tell if this service has been done to a used amp? I have model VR-000084 that I bought used privately a couple years ago. I wasn't aware of this service notice until now.

I've pulled the amp from the chassis to take a look at the guts, but not sure what I'm looking for in regards to checking if the service mod was ever done by a previous owner or dealer.

Call Mesa, if it was done by them or a Mesa certified tech, their records should reflect that. They can also send you the service bulletin PDF, so you can check it yourself.

Dom

'01 Recto 4X12 V30/Swamp Thang
'04 Recto 4X12 V30/Delta Pro 12A
'74 Les Paul Custom
'12 Les Paul Signature T
Slinky's & Jazz III's
Voodoo Labs MIDI
==> NOMAD on Facebook <==