Nomad 100 crackle and pot issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrixtc

Reaction score
I purchased a used Nomad 100 about 2 years ago, and I love this amp. I bought it at guitar center with a 1 year warranty since it was used, and we were touring. About 6 months ago, I had an issue where the amp lost most of the volume, and a lot of crackling was happening on that channel 2. After messing with things for a minute, we realized that the volume issued and crackling all seemed to stem from turning/adjusting the bass pot on channel 2. Specifically, pulling out the pot a little bit seemed to help, so we got through the recording session by sticking a piece of cardboard to keep the pot slightly pulled out, and using channel 3 to record.

When I got back into town, I took it in under warranty and the issue was fixed. The repair shop I took it to was pretty terrible but I didn't have a choice because it was a warranty repair, so I never got an explanation of the issue of resolution, but they did get it working. Now, 6 months later, I'm having the same issues. Tweaking the same pot (bass on channel 2) still boosts volume, and makes things crackle. This time it's worse though, I get crackle on every channel. From what I've read, it sounds like it could likely be the tubes. The tubes in there came with the amp used, so I have no idea how old they are. I think that's the likely culprit, but I'm worried about how that bass pot on channel 2 effects things.

I only have enough money to either replace the tubes or pay for a repair in the near future, so I'd appreciate some advice on what you think my best shot is for getting this thing up and running.

That is a bit weird, touching the pot causing noise. Dosen't sound like a tube to me.

But you may as well try replacing some tubes, could be the easy fix. Try the tap trick, with the amp on gently tap each tube with the eraser end of a pencil. Sometimes a bum tube will will make a rattle/buzz noise out the speaker.

Nomads are known to have pot issues. From what i understand, it requires replacement of the pots.

astrixtc,

Do you know the year in which your Nomad was made? Pennman is right, the earlier Nomads had pot problems. But I believe that was corrected in the ones manufactured later.

Yes...bad pots. I have experience in this. Mine had two bad pots from day = 1, brand new. It was a bummer.

Back