The Blue Angel is in the house / speakers??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crowbar

Reaction score
Well it is here, I picked up a BA 2x10 for 700 whacks, sold the Nomad for it. It is very clean, dark blue/black color with the tweed color grill cloth. Its quiet, no hiss.

But, it has a rumble in the speakers on low notes. Plugged into a different cab and it sounds great, I think this is gonna be a fun amp.
I just put it on the bench and both the speakers can be tightened up a good bit, I hope that is the bug noise, I love an easy fix. My wife and baby just came home so I'm not gonna crank it for a while, not till tomarrow.

Now about them speakers. They have no clear markings on them, I wonder what they are. Did the stock Jensens come like that or have they been switched?

Again, I think this is gonna be a good amp. I do have a month to return it though.

the jensens on mine have stickers on them. there is also like abig metal square bit on the back of the speaker where the magnet is, its pretty distinctive, so if yours has that probably someone just pulled the stickers off, they also have p10R in white on the outer edge of the speaker frame.
great amp hope you love it.

These speakers are all black. The magnets are open ended squares if you know what I mean, not round hockey pucks. Only markings are small stickers on the sides with some numbers.

And another thing. This amp is modded. Good ol' Guitar Center, none of those guys knows what they are selling, I have to figure this out myself. The ground switch has been changed to turn the effects loop on and off. When the loop is out the effects mix knob becomes a master volume. A small jumper cable like you'd use to connect floor pedals is plugged in and out of the loop and held to the air vents with a wiretie, to be left in when the loop is not in use. This is detailed on a schematic I found loose in the back of the manual. I'd been playing it with the mod switched off.
Still no chance to play today, I'm having a nutty holiday season.

The stock speakers are rather uninspiring alnicos. Might be worth swapping out.

Crowbar,
those speakers are alnico Eminence, model 10714, and can handle 20 watt each. They have been frequently used by Mesa Boogie in the past.

I talked to Anthony Lucas with Eminence and he told me they are similar to the Legend 102P (now discontinued).

Still busy with holidays, The Amp lies dormant. I was gone the last few days and now guests are coming here. I'm biting my nails.

I have a couple of Kendrick Blackframe 10's I got back in the 90's for a little Marshall I had. Now one of em is in my old Princton and the other sits in a seldom used extension cab alongside the original Princton speaker. I imagine I will be doing some swapping around in slow time this winter.

Anyone put Kendricks in there Mesa? I'll let you know how it goes.

Crowbar said:
Still busy with holidays, The Amp lies dormant. I was gone the last few days and now guests are coming here. I'm biting my nails.

I have a couple of Kendrick Blackframe 10's I got back in the 90's for a little Marshall I had. Now one of em is in my old Princton and the other sits in a seldom used extension cab alongside the original Princton speaker. I imagine I will be doing some swapping around in slow time this winter.

Anyone put Kendricks in there Mesa? I'll let you know how it goes.
Yeah, tell us how the Kendricks Blackframe works with the Blue Angel.

If I recall the late Ted Weber mentioned a while back he used to supply Kendrick their 10" speakers to their specs. But he didn't supply their 12" speakers.

I have a Kendrick's GreenFrame. Basically a Celestion G12-30H but more expensive. :?

I have a 2x10 BA monsta modded :D . I simply LOVE her . . . creamy cleans that you can add body with just more grip on your picking hand . . .dynamics for days!!

but im also not very happy with their speakers . . .mine are originals (eminence made alnicos). they cant handle distortion very well and fart easily.

i was thinking about those Celestions G10 greenbacks . . any thoughts about it??

Still experimenting here. Still havn't had much time to play.

So far I'll say the BA sounds better rigged into the Kendrick 10, very nice but did not get to crank it with a drummer. Also think I like this better than the Marshall 4x10 I tried it in. Plugged into the stock speaker on a Blues Junior and it was rather trebly. I find the stock BA speakers trebly too, I like the Kendricks because there mellower. Maybe hook it to the 2x12 Maverick and see what happens.

Crowbar said:
Still experimenting here. Still havn't had much time to play.

So far I'll say the BA sounds better rigged into the Kendrick 10, very nice but did not get to crank it with a drummer. Also think I like this better than the Marshall 4x10 I tried it in. Plugged into the stock speaker on a Blues Junior and it was rather trebly. I find the stock BA speakers trebly too, I like the Kendricks because there mellower. Maybe hook it to the 2x12 Maverick and see what happens.

Crowbar,
what have you finally done with the speakers? Have you figured out how to tame the alnico Eminence?

I was just playing the Angel now.

The stock alnicos are out of the amp. I put one in the Princeton, it O.K. In there but I liked the Kendrick better.

The two Kendrick's are in the BA. Definatly better than the trebly stock speakers but they do break up quick. I just had the Angel plugged into the Mavericks two 12" Celestions and was digging it, way more defined than the Kendrick's. Those 10" have a very small voice coil. Good in old Fenders but the Mesas seem to beat the things hard.

Back