Nomad 100 Channel 2 Issue Without Footswitch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLee

Reaction score
So now I got some strange issue that I know was not present before the last week or so. It seems that if I run the amp without the footswitch plugged in, that channel 2 sounds bad and has a strange buzz noise issue. The amp defaults to channel 2 when I power up and the back channel selector switch is set at the footswitch position. Is this normal?

Another question: Is it bad to use that back rotary switch or move it out of the "footswitch" position while having the footswitch plugged in?

When I run the amp with the footswitch plugged in and that back rotary switch set at the "footswitch" position, channel 2 does not have those odd noises and buzz.

This also seems to coincide with this new problem that I have, where all channels now sound off and a bit harsh. When I strum an open E chord I have this bad breakup and harshness on my two bottom strings. The amp lost it's clarity. I tried replacing all the preamp tubes with no change. I also tried runnning 2 of the 4 6L6's, or each pair of two separately with no change.

And last night I thought I found the issue as I plugged my guitar directly into the FX loop return. At first I did not have much output, so I thought I was on my way to narrowing down the problem. I plugged the cable in and out of the return jack a few times and the power amp seemed to sound better after that. So then I plugged into the front input but there was no change in this odd sound I am having.

This bad tone and harshness came a few days after I did a couple of mods. They were the mud mods, where I snipped one leg each of the 120pF caps that were across the phase inverter plate resistors. And I snipped one leg of that .005uF cap that is in series with the 56K to Ground after the FX loop. I ended up putting a 270pF capacitor back in place of that .005uF. I had the amp sounding really good after the mods and played it for quite a bit after that with good results. Then a few days later, the next time I turned on the amp to play it, it did not sound like the same amp at all and that is when this bad sounding harshness was there.

The other thing I am curious about, is if I could have damaged that ferrite bead after the front input? That same day that I was working on it with the mud mods, I had unsoldered the wire to the front input positive and soldered in a 56K resistor at the input. I did not hear any tonal change, so I removed that resistor and soldered the wire back to the input. But the amp was working properly right after that still, so I am not sure there.

Anyone know if there is a way to test that ferrite bead? Is there a certain value of resistance reading I should see there?

I just tried jumpering the Nomad into the DC-10 via the FX loops of each amp. I went both ways with it, as in each amp being the preamp while the other amp was the poweramp and vice versa. The problem is gone. But seems like I got it to do this again when I wiggled the power cord around on the Nomad. The MAINS Ground connection in the amp is secure, but when I tapped the green Ground wire or the power cord the crackling buzz will come and go. So at least it seems I have found something to look into. Seems mostly to affect channel 2. And the footswitch problem is gone as well.

Very strange indeed. But being the amp defaults to channel 2, it could be that a bad Ground connection could affect that switching circuit more on channel 2 than the others.

Latest posts

Back