Mesa Nomad One - Hundred 1x12 combo opinions??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noseybonk

Reaction score
From what i've gathered they are like a swiss army knife of amps ... impressed by the amount they have to offer. I've still not received the one i've purchased due to weather/courier issues in my country but should have my hands on it this week some time.

I wondered why it's so hard trying to find a decent review of this exact Nomad one hundred with the graphic EQ built in to it. Was there only a limited number made of the Nomad 100 combo amps with the built in EQ?? I find a few online but they are the 2x12 versions and not the 1x12 like i have bought.

Either way i can't wait to get my hands on my first Mesa. It's exactly the amp i'm after in terms of versatility. Might have to re - tube it but will wait and see. Is it pretty simple slotting in tubes on this amp as on the back i noticed a 6L6 switch, Bias or EL34 option?? I want to run it through a 2x12 cabinet and hopefully run everything at once.

If anyone can help me or forward me to a decent page giving the amp a good thorough review etc i would be most grateful. The youtube vids of any Nomad amps are awful ... sound quality etc. Even on the Mesa boogie site it has no info on the 1x12 Nomad.

Any help appreciated thanks guys :mrgreen:

The Nomad 100 1X12 combo is not a very common configuration, and I believe it was only offered for a limited time then replaced by the head and 2X12 configurations.

Sorry I can't refer you to any specific reviews. I really love mine (also a 1X12 combo), but I've also done a number of the mods suggested on this forum, and recently replaced a pair of the power tubes with EL84s using Groove Tubes Substitubes. I was always luke warm on mine until I did the FX loop capacitor mod and the NFB mod. Those two REALLY brought the amp to life and made it a monster. The recent addition of the subtitubes has been a very positive change too, as it sweetened the top end and softened the low end a bit. It also allows me to run the amp at around 20W if I switch it to half power mode.

The bottom line is, the nomad series is much maligned but they are also not everyone's cup of tea. They are very versatile and cover a lot of sonic ground, but they also take some time to dial in.

yeah the dialing in particular is what i've heard requires patience with these amps. i've always had a knack however of being able to produce great tones from amps that others seem to struggle with live etc, and the EQ in particular on my 1x12 Nomad is encouraging too. I also run my own EQ pedal too so wondered what it would be like with them all going together?? I'm only starting to learn about tube amps and a lot of technology etc, but eager to learn as much as possible for the Nomad 1x12 100 i'm getting so i don't do anything silly with it!

Yeah i noticed at the back there was a 50w option switch and a 100w which i thought was really handy, and the reverb controls for either channel are also at the back aren't they?? what speaker is in the 1x12 Nomad do you know?? i know its one of the shadow ones but not sure of it's power .. 100w at a guess?! haha

despite what everyone else has been saying negative - wise about the Nomad series, i'm confident mine will suit me great. I've always just used basic Marshall 2 channel tube heads like JCM800/900 but now i'm fed up of just the lack of versatility with them as i'm starting to settle down and play so much more stuff. i like the fact these offer some vintage settings as well as modern, and the cleans are just superb, never heard anything like it. I think they'll fill out sound wise live so much more than most Marshall amps do which i tend to find are too top endy but i think i can tame this Nomad and hope i enjoy it immensely. Would've loved to find a video of someone playing the Nomad i'm getting through a 2x12 marshall 1936!!

anyone know of any famous artists that use the Nomads??

Probably one of the main reasons a Nomad One Hundred 1x12 is uncommon is because a 100W amp will put out almost twice that power if the master volume is dimed....Boom - major repair bill waiting. I never ever used my Nomad100 at any more than 50W (single pair of power tubes), in fact, I put the second pair of power tubes in another amp...

huh that's interesting for sure ... i'd have no idea at moment, but i did say i was just going to run it at 50w as 100w is just too loud for anything i need at moment ...

ive got a new set of tubes with it too as well as the originals. i had no idea you could use less tubes in an amp when lowering the voltage?? i need some serious education!!! :roll:

but yeah i thought about running it 50w through my 1936 marshall extension anyway, still trying to find out who else does it ... i dont wanna try it first myself alone incase i blow something up!! haha

The Nomad operating manual is on Mesa's website. Its an important piece of reading. Also, there is a schematic of the amp on "schematic heaven" on the web. (something like webphix.schematic-heaven.???)

As one amp tech said "with great power comes great responsibility". Reading and understanding this information is an important part of the tube amp experience.

Other than getting some ideas on tone settings and a general understanding of what the different switches do, an important part of using the owners manual is understanding how to connect different cabinet configurations - eg. impedance matching and mismatching.

Probably the most important part (initially) of understanding the circuit schematic is using it to understand which preamp tube does what, and what voltages your power tubes operates at, and possibly the different bias voltages the EL34/6L6 switch produces. That information becomes important when you want to discuss what preamp tube to use in what position, and why. The Plate and bias voltage information is important when you want to order a set of power tubes, so the tube supplier can pick a matched set that will work properly in the amp with the existing bias levels.

As for the "half power" switch that Mesa has on their amps - this does not lower voltages in the amp (that function is called the "Tweed" switch but doesn't come on the Nomad). Mesa always refers to "half power" when the switch removes a pair of power tubes from the circuit, so removing the tubes themselves is no different. On the Nomad, if I recall correctly, the INSIDE pair of power tubes are "live (on)" on half power and the OUTSIDE tubes are "off". I have a different Mesa that is opposite to this.

Tommy_G said:
The Nomad operating manual is on Mesa's website. Its an important piece of reading. Also, there is a schematic of the amp on "schematic heaven" on the web. (something like webphix.schematic-heaven.???)

As one amp tech said "with great power comes great responsibility". Reading and understanding this information is an important part of the tube amp experience.

Other than getting some ideas on tone settings and a general understanding of what the different switches do, an important part of using the owners manual is understanding how to connect different cabinet configurations - eg. impedance matching and mismatching.

Probably the most important part (initially) of understanding the circuit schematic is using it to understand which preamp tube does what, and what voltages your power tubes operates at, and possibly the different bias voltages the EL34/6L6 switch produces. That information becomes important when you want to discuss what preamp tube to use in what position, and why. The Plate and bias voltage information is important when you want to order a set of power tubes, so the tube supplier can pick a matched set that will work properly in the amp with the existing bias levels.

As for the "half power" switch that Mesa has on their amps - this does not lower voltages in the amp (that function is called the "Tweed" switch but doesn't come on the Nomad). Mesa always refers to "half power" when the switch removes a pair of power tubes from the circuit, so removing the tubes themselves is no different. On the Nomad, if I recall correctly, the INSIDE pair of power tubes are "live (on)" on half power and the OUTSIDE tubes are "off". I have a different Mesa that is opposite to this.

Good info from Tommy as usual.

That half power switch also provides an easy access point to check the current draw on those two outer power valves. But of course, you would have TO KNOW if the valves are somewhat balanced on current draw as this will give you bias idle for both valves.

Transformer Shunt method is an easy procedure with these amps as well (do not attempt this unless you are experienced working inside LIVE amplifiers or electrical equipment!).

The bias probes are the easiest method for checking the bias on these amps though.

Latest posts

Back