Combo vs. Heads - Which Is Preferred?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely prefer a head to a Combo. While I can understand the convenience of a combo, I prefer a head only because I have the option of trying to many speaker cabinets with it. It really allows me to customize my gear and easily so!

YellowJacket said:
I definitely prefer a head to a Combo. While I can understand the convenience of a combo, I prefer a head only because I have the option of trying to many speaker cabinets with it. It really allows me to customize my gear and easily so!

This is true... though, if I wanted, could I put an A/B switch in there? :p

Yep, you can certainly put an ABY cab switcher in there. That's a great way to compare cabs, speakers, etc.

I've had both and definitely prefer heads to combos.

I don't like my tubes being attacked by sound waves in combo amps.

I enjoy swapping speakers and speaker cabs.

I like the look of the heads better than the combos.

I prefer lifting heads to combos.

I was a head/cab guy forever, but in the last few years I have definitely come around to loving my 1X12 combo. Heavy? absolutely, but with a Gator rotomold amp case with casters it's totally manageable. Aside from that, the speaker outs on the combo let me use different cabs when I want to.

+1 for heads.

Weight
Size
Easy to swap cabinet
Can play with a load box and no cabinet
Generally hate any cabinet smaller than 2x12, can't lift a 2x12 combo

talltxguy said:
I've had both and definitely prefer heads to combos.

I don't like my tubes being attacked by sound waves in combo amps.

I enjoy swapping speakers and speaker cabs.

I like the look of the heads better than the combos.

I prefer lifting heads to combos.

Good things pointed out in here... you're right...

the recluse said:
I was a head/cab guy forever, but in the last few years I have definitely come around to loving my 1X12 combo. Heavy? absolutely, but with a Gator rotomold amp case with casters it's totally manageable. Aside from that, the speaker outs on the combo let me use different cabs when I want to.

Yep... of course, my Road King combo is great at that.

elvis said:
+1 for heads.

Weight
Size
Easy to swap cabinet
Can play with a load box and no cabinet
Generally hate any cabinet smaller than 2x12, can't lift a 2x12 combo

I like 1x12 combos as practice amps (my fender, I use it for clean stuff), but my Road King combo is what I use for pretty much everything. I really like nothing less than 2x12 cabs. I actually can lift my 100 pound amp without any problems. I don't really mind that issue very much. If I need help, I'll ask one of my mates.

screamingdaisy said:
I prefer the convenience of combos but tend to stick with heads/cabs for sonic and logistical reasons.

Yea, man. I don't blame you. I tend to like combos better... you know, the really nice extra low-end... but I do like heads too, mainly for the fact that they take up less space. If I wanted multiple heads with one cab, it's feasible. Many cambos would take up a **** load of space... :p

Having had both types, I like the head and cab pair myself. I like being able to match the head with different cabs (for me either a 2x12 or a 4x12 or both at the moment), and not have a dedicated pair of speakers that are always attached. I also like the idea of being able to just take a head on the road if I am using another band's back line on a tour. With a combo, you can unhook the speakers, but can't leave their weight and bulkiness at home. I also like being able to separate the head and the cabs, especially in the touring realm, where we back line our gear a lot. You can stick your cabs up on the stage and then your heads on side stage and get everything set up for when you play. Also, the idea of sharing a Combo for a back line is not very appealing at all. You can also separate and leave the heads on the side of the stage, and just have the Cabs on stage, keeping clutter and cables going out of the way. With a combo, your amp is always where your speakers are.

Also, with Tube combos, it seems to me that it would be hard on the tubes to experience all the speaker vibration, and I have heard multiple combos have a tube rattle in them when played at even bedroom volumes. Never have that problem with a head and cab.
Just my experiences.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I like being able to match the head with different cabs (for me either a 2x12 or a 4x12 or both at the moment), and not have a dedicated pair of speakers that are always attached.

+1.

I've had a couple of occasions where I had a great sounding amp coupled to a mediocre sounding cab. Kind of a shame...

screamingdaisy said:
MesaENGR412 said:
I like being able to match the head with different cabs (for me either a 2x12 or a 4x12 or both at the moment), and not have a dedicated pair of speakers that are always attached.

+1.

I've had a couple of occasions where I had a great sounding amp coupled to a mediocre sounding cab. Kind of a shame...

Yes. I found that I pretty much hated how combos sounded and always preferred a 4 x 12 to anything else.
But, I tried the Electra Dyne 1 x 12 wide format combo and I was floored. Somehow I ended up with a head and a 27" 1 x 12 which sounds exactly the same, but ya, my favourite combo ever. With the head, I just like that I can team it up with a 2 x 12 or even a 4 x 12 if I absolutely need it. Yay for flexibility.

Latest posts

Back