Favorite Recto Artists?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaulguy32

Reaction score
It could be anyone from any genre, any time, from anywhere. Mine personally are Mike Einziger, of Incubus, Dave Grohl/Chris Shifflet of Foo Fighters, Kim Thayil of Soundgarden, and Tim Mahoney of 311.

Now, you may tell me yours. GO! :D

Oddly, I don't really have a favourite Recto artist. Most of the dudes who's tone I really dug actually used Marks, but I didn't know any better at the time so I bought a Recto. Still love the amp.

screamingdaisy said:
Oddly, I don't really have a favourite Recto artist. Most of the dudes who's tone I really dug actually used Marks, but I didn't know any better at the time so I bought a Recto. Still love the amp.

It's cool, man... Marks are great too... I just prefer Rectos personally... :D

Looks like people are hesitant to talk about this subject. I'm going to guess it's because no one wants to admit they bought one because of some nu-metal or pop-punk band.

If I had to pick a favourite Recto artist I'd probably have to pick Munky and Head. I'm a fan of both Korn (self titled) and Life is Peachy. Don't really dig a lot of stuff they released after that.

screamingdaisy said:
Looks like people are hesitant to talk about this subject. I'm going to guess it's because no one wants to admit they bought one because of some nu-metal or pop-punk band.

I bought my Mark V because of Mark Morton/Willie Adler of Lamb Of God.. they also use rectos and I have a mini, so would that count? :mrgreen:

bcdon said:
I bought my Mark V because of Mark Morton/Willie Adler of Lamb Of God.. they also use rectos and I have a mini, so would that count? :mrgreen:

Honestly, I like their early Recto tone better than the Mark IV tone everyone raves about.

screamingdaisy said:

If I had to pick a favourite Recto artist I'd probably have to pick Munky and Head. I'm a fan of both Korn (self titled) and Life is Peachy. Don't really dig a lot of stuff they released after that.

I love Head's tone, personally... and he NEEDS to come back to Korn... old Korn kicked ***...

screamingdaisy said:
bcdon said:

Honestly, I like their early Recto tone better than the Mark IV tone everyone raves about.

Isn't Mark Morton using Royals now?

Lets see.... Dino Cazares from Fear Factory, he used 2 ch Triples live for a while (way better tone than the current line 6 he uses now)

The melodic death metal band "God Dethroned", don't know the guitarist/vocalist's name.

Local death metal band 'Oppressor" that later became the better known but softer "soil" (forgot the names)

Dan Donegan from Disturbed.

Brad Delson from Linkin Park.

Both guitarists from "Kreator"

Tony from Godsmack, and that's all I remember for now. :lol:

JCDenton6 said:
Lets see.... Dino Cazares from Fear Factory, he used 2 ch Triples live for a while (way better tone than the current line 6 he uses now)

The melodic death metal band "God Dethroned", don't know the guitarist/vocalist's name.

Local death metal band 'Oppressor" that later became the better known but softer "soil" (forgot the names)

Dan Donegan from Disturbed.

Brad Delson from Linkin Park.

Both guitarists from "Kreator"

Tony from Godsmack, and that's all I remember for now. :lol:

Great list, man! I especially like Brad Delson of that list. Now, however, he is using Hiwatts and an AC30. I'm glad that he stuck to his CU24s, though... but I'm sure he'll be back on the boogies. His new rig does sound pretty impressive, I must admit.

bcdon said:
screamingdaisy said:

And yes, it counts :)

lespaulguy32 said:
screamingdaisy said:
bcdon said:

Isn't Mark Morton using Royals now?

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's part of his full time rig but check out the following videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg0_Q0SqAiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEjDSfNB6VE

The first time I was exposed to Rectos was when a local band had a couple of them. The band's name was 'Cough' and they were from Winnipeg. The sound out of those things was unbelievable but the guitarists in that band mentioned that the halfstacks cost as much as a car. At that time, it was like $2,500 for the head and $1,250 for the cab new.
Then a guitarist for another band got one and the results were much the same. EVERYONE who had one locally got this AMAZING tone.
I was originally looking at a Nomad55 with a Mesa 4 x 12 but the Nomad never came in for over 4 months so I ended up picking up a recto used at Ultimate Guitar Works! I later scored a side armour 4 x 12 which I had for many years before trading it for Bass Guitar. I think all things equal, I'd prefer the Stiletto / Traditional 4 x 12 for the greater midrange focus.

Favourite recorded recto tones?
Marcus Curiel from POD.
Pete Stewart of Grammatrain
Greg Hetson / Brian Baker from Bad Religion.
The Ataris
Tool
Dream Theater (Octavarium)
Killswitch Engage. (they apparently use boosted Roadsters live)

Honestly, I like their early Recto tone better than the Mark IV tone everyone raves about.[/quote]

Isn't Mark Morton using Royals now?[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's part of his full time rig but check out the following videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg0_Q0SqAiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEjDSfNB6VE[/quote]

I don't know, man... I like Morton's tones with the Marks and Triple Recto, such as in here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLPUfuYTNGU

Godsmack for sure, and (don't laugh) Nickelback has the odd good tone.

YellowJacket said:
The first time I was exposed to Rectos was when a local band had a couple of them. The band's name was 'Cough' and they were from Winnipeg. The sound out of those things was unbelievable but the guitarists in that band mentioned that the halfstacks cost as much as a car. At that time, it was like $2,500 for the head and $1,250 for the cab new.
Then a guitarist for another band got one and the results were much the same. EVERYONE who had one locally got this AMAZING tone.
I was originally looking at a Nomad55 with a Mesa 4 x 12 but the Nomad never came in for over 4 months so I ended up picking up a recto used at Ultimate Guitar Works! I later scored a side armour 4 x 12 which I had for many years before trading it for Bass Guitar. I think all things equal, I'd prefer the Stiletto / Traditional 4 x 12 for the greater midrange focus.

Favourite recorded recto tones?
Marcus Curiel from POD.
Pete Stewart of Grammatrain
Greg Hetson / Brian Baker from Bad Religion.
The Ataris
Tool
Dream Theater (Octavarium)
Killswitch Engage. (they apparently use boosted Roadsters live)

Wow... cool list, man! I love Tool, myself... :D

Back