What are the necessities of gigging gear?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npo12354

Reaction score
Alrighty. I'm looking to get back into gigging and playing shows now that I have the time to do so. However, I've never used any tube amp, let alone my Dual Rec, to play a show. Based on the gear that I have, what are your recommendations on what I should look into purchasing next? Oh, and money is a slight issue (just graduated college and I'm working for a non-profit organization...so the money's not exactly heavily flowing in).

The slim gear that I have is my 3-channel Dual Rec, an Orange PPC112 (1x12 w/ v30), and a couple of pedals. Should I step things up to a 2x12? Go for a power conditioner? I've been looking into the TC Nova's...but maybe I should hold off on that to get some other things first?

What do you guys think?

It really kind of depends on the context of what kind of gigs you plan on doing and what kind of music you're playing.

Whether or not you "need" effects is a matter of taste and style. If the music you're playing/writing doesn't have much call for them, then you probably don't need to invest in them. If you're playing straight up hard rock like AC/DC or something, you won't need any. If you plan on playing some kind of trippy shoegazer stuff you'll need a bunch of pedals or a good multi-effect.

A dual rec and a 1X12 cabinet "should" be more than adequate for most gigs, and in a lot of cases it's overkill. On the other hand, there are aesthetic considerations to keep in mind. If you plan on playing with a metal band, you'll likely not even be taken seriously if you show up without a 4X12 cabinet (or at the very least a 2 X 12).

Currently I gig with a Nomad 100 1X12 combo in a loud rock band. I never turn it up past 3 or 4 and it is more than enough to keep up with our drummer and a 2X15 or 8X10 bass rig.

That's a start, but your question is pretty general so it's hard to give any good recommendations.

The recto will do the job for sure, if you dont have enough power get a 2x12.
As far as effect, all I would need if I was about to do a small gig of rock , is a Noise suppressor and a tuner. But it's depend what your needs are.

If you want to have good think for your money. Look for a good multi-effect, no boss gt- something.
Look a rack midi gear like a Tc electronic G-Major with a small floor controller.
You can find a kit for less then 250$.

I have NEVER listened to a guitarist and thought "he should really have some more effects."

A decent amp and guitar, and the ability to use them, are all you will ever really need. One important thing to keep in mind is that the Dual Rec is designed for arena stages. You will tend to be too loud. Turn it down.

Thanks guys! Yeah, my primary concern was that the 1x12 might not be loud enough (aesthetics aside) or that I you would recommend getting the power conditioner or something else along those lines. I'm assuming that (especially right away) I won't be playing anything near large enough to warrant a 4x12...so I'm happy to hear that I don't really need those things right now. Besides, I think I might just save up for a new guitar or go for the nova :D That and invest in a decent surge protector.

Besides my rig gear I have a small duffle bag that I call my "Gig Bag". Inside is:
1-set powertubes
1-set preamp tubes
extra fuses
guitar tool kit
gaffer tape
vise grips
mains circuit tester
flashlight
patch cables
cable tester
contact cleaner
batteries
25-ft 12-ga extension cord
3-way outlet tap
fingernail clipper
bottle opener

I've used every item at one time or another while gigging.

Dom

That's a GREAT list :idea:

I have about 2/3 of that stuff in my gig bag. I'm going to add the rest.

I also have:
Wire cutters
Electrical tape
Extra 20' guitar cable
A few random cable adapters

Wire cutters are a must have. I have a pair in my guitar tool kit along with a set of Allen Keys, a Leatherman Multi-tool, two screwdrivers, two precision screwdrivers, a string winder, & a small pocket knife.

Dom

Wow, those are all ridiculously awesome lists! If I throw in a can of canned beans to the list then the store might think I'm stocking up for another Y2K. Just out of curiosity, do you use the contact cleaner for anything special besides for actually cleaning your contacts? I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on a cool and random use for it.

I have spare batteries, gaffe tape, an extension cord, a multiplug surge protector, a duet of power tubes, a couple good preamp tubes, fuses, extra strings, an extra guitar cable, an extra speaker cable, a multi-tool of some kind, a allen wrench multi-tool (mine is a Husky), guitar picks, and a phillips head screw driver that fits all of the screws on the guitar (normally a narrow, medium sized one works on pickups, pickguards, battery covers, and truss rod covers).

Other things to remember when gigging:
If it can break, it probably will at some point, so extras are always a necessity to make things run smoothly, especially if you are take things to the touring level. A backup guitar is worth it's weight in gold when that string breaks during the first song.
If you are a local act opening for national acts, the smoother things go, the more likely you are to get asked back by the venue to open for larger bands.
DON'T wrap cables up, break down gear and put everything away while on stage. Move EVERYTHING off stage, then tear down your rig, drums, etc. and then engage with fans after your stuff is completely out of the way. /rant

-AJH

Those tiny LED flashlights are cheap and powerful. As an electrician I also carried a little extension mirror. Magnetic tip screw getter. If you drop a screw it will be a life saver.

Another 1 x 12 would be good in time. If you get a cheap used amp with a loop you can use your preamp out and plug that in to the effects return of the second amp and have a quick and dirty wet dry rig. That would give you width and depth to the sound better than just a cab.

elvis said:
I have NEVER listened to a guitarist and thought "he should really have some more effects."

A decent amp and guitar, and the ability to use them, are all you will ever really need. One important thing to keep in mind is that the Dual Rec is designed for arena stages. You will tend to be too loud. Turn it down.

+1 on this entire post

npo12354 said:
Alrighty. I'm looking to get back into gigging and playing shows now that I have the time to do so. However, I've never used any tube amp, let alone my Dual Rec, to play a show. Based on the gear that I have, what are your recommendations on what I should look into purchasing next? Oh, and money is a slight issue (just graduated college and I'm working for a non-profit organization...so the money's not exactly heavily flowing in).

The slim gear that I have is my 3-channel Dual Rec, an Orange PPC112 (1x12 w/ v30), and a couple of pedals. Should I step things up to a 2x12? Go for a power conditioner? I've been looking into the TC Nova's...but maybe I should hold off on that to get some other things first?

What do you guys think?

Looks like the guys with much experience carry much the same items.

My carry along contains almost everything mentioned.

Its a balancing act between carrying too much or not enough.

Experience is what defines it.

The simpler the rig the less there is to f*ck with on stage. I have a power conditioner but I don't bother using it anymore.

Guitar - Wah - Amp - Cab

I carry a spare(s) of every cable, tube, fuse, battery, slide, string and pick that's used in my rig. If I use a pedal I bring two of them. I used to use a lot of boutique stuff but now I use Boss, Dunlop or MXR because they're cheap and easy to buy in pairs and replace if necessary.

I also find it useful to bring a second tuner (of the same brand/model as your stage tuner) and leave it with my string changing tools so that I can swap strings between sets without robbing my stage rig of it's tuner.

Other than that the lists above are pretty inclusive. I've never thought of putting nail clippers in my bag, although there has been a couple times I wish I'd had them.

I also carry a small set of cutting pliars. They make it easy to quickly remove a dead string. I've only had to use them a few times, but it was nice to have them.

I can't remember if anyone mentioned this yet, but a small pack of wipes is also handy to have.

I have found in my band, the only time something goes wrong is when we are prepared for it. Guitar dies on stage, the first night we brought an extra guitar to a show. Lost my drummers Iron Cobra on tour, we had at the last moment added a replacement on the bus, just in case...

As such we have agreed to never come prepared for disaster.

The things I am always reaching for are:
LED Pocket Flashlight. Invaluable to have one of these, I use it every show and keep it close by all the time.
Hand Wipes and Tissues. You can get small 10 packs of these and come in handy.
Multi Tip Screw Driver
Batteries

Other than that, I check my gear all the time. I don't want anything messing with my tone so, if something is suspect, I want to know. By that virtue I have been fortunate enough never to need more than a cable replacement during a tour. However, the further away from home we get, the more stuff I bring just in case. Eventually I guess I will carry a full second stage rig, haha.

A Mesa through a 1 x 12 makes a lot of noise. The Royal Atlantic 27" 1 x 12 cab sounds great. I have one for my Electra Dyne and I discovered that it plays nicely with my Dual Rectifier as well. A 2 x 12 is about the most power I can EVER see one needing for small gigs. 4 x 12s look awesome but they can be overkill. They're really not so loud when the amp is turned down but they are like gasoline for a sounddude's fire and they are not so kind to older backs.

I love having a 39lb tube head and a 40lbs speaker cab. It balances well for carrying.

YellowJacket said:
A Mesa through a 1 x 12 makes a lot of noise. The Royal Atlantic 27" 1 x 12 cab sounds great. I have one for my Electra Dyne and I discovered that it plays nicely with my Dual Rectifier as well. A 2 x 12 is about the most power I can EVER see one needing for small gigs. 4 x 12s look awesome but they can be overkill. They're really not so loud when the amp is turned down but they are like gasoline for a sounddude's fire and they are not so kind to older backs.

I love having a 39lb tube head and a 40lbs speaker cab. It balances well for carrying.

I find a 1x12 and 4x12 are basically the same volume. The big thing for me was that the 4x12s have a fullness that smaller cabs lack... however the new 27" wide cabs sound outstanding IMO and easily hold their own against a 4x12.

That said, 4x12s do look cooler... and sometimes appearances are just as important as the sound.

Latest posts

Back