Mark IV and Gmajor II relay switching question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mizati20

Reaction score
Hey fellas... going to try and explain this as specifically as possible, forgive my ignorance if I am misinformed on this subject as well... but here goes...

I have a rackmount Mark IV inbound... I am going to be using it with my Gmajor II, the Gmajor does some relay switching... it only switches 2 relays... so I am trying to figure out if I will be able to do what I want with it...

I want to be able to switch from channel 1 and 3... and turn the FX loop on and off, more specifically I would like to be able to switch from channel 1 with the FX loop on, to channel 3 with the FX loop off, to channel 3 with the FX loop ON...

Currently I have a Y-cable that is TRS on the single end, and the other end 2 mono plugs... now I understand that what I am wanting to do requires more than 2 jacks (would require 3) but I remember some years ago hearing something about the Mark IV will "default" to a certain channel if none of the channel external jacks are engaged, is this true? And if so I am hoping it defaults to either channel 1 or 3...

If so is it correct to assume I can take one end of my Y cable and plug it into the FX loop jack, then take the other end, and plug it into whichever channel I want to use that ISN'T the default channel, which should allow me to do all the switching I want... I don't need to control anything else like the EQ or anything like that...

Worst case scenario is I will use my 2 jacks to control both channels... and just leave the FX loop on all the time... but I would really prefer to be able to bypass the Gmajor when running my rhythm tone...

Sorry for the long winded post, wanted to be specific as possible, hope someone can help me out, any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have a really old Mark IV, serial #741, so mine may be different from yours. I also have a G-Major 2.

When I have the knob set to "External Switching," the amp automatically defaults to Loop ON, Lead Channel.
You could probably control your amp the way you are talking about by using the Loop jack and the R1 jack.

Let me know how it works. I plan on picking up a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I like the relay function on the G-Major 2, but they are a little bit slow.

Monsta-Tone said:
I have a really old Mark IV, serial #741, so mine may be different from yours. I also have a G-Major 2.

When I have the knob set to "External Switching," the amp automatically defaults to Loop ON, Lead Channel.
You could probably control your amp the way you are talking about by using the Loop jack and the R1 jack.

Let me know how it works. I plan on picking up a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I like the relay function on the G-Major 2, but they are a little bit slow.

This is pretty much the exact answer I was looking for... seems I am going to be able to control exactly what I want with only 2 relays... thanks for the reply...

Currently I use my Gmajor 2 with a Peavey 6505 (not the + model) and it switches the channels and the loop instantly... there is zero latency what-so-ever...

On an off subject... I've owned Gmajors in the past the needed to be rebooted after owning them for awhile... for whatever reason they would start to lag... like I would switch to a preset... and the effects would slowly come on one at a time, instead of all at once... maybe the issue is related to the relay switching as well.. maybe try saving all your patches and then resetting the Gmajor, because the relay switching on mine is definitely instantaneous...

Anyway, thanks again for the reply... I realized I posted this in the wrong forum... my cables I ordered from Guitar-Cable.com came in today... and the Mark get's here tomorrow, I am really anxious to see how it all works!

I will report back since I've seen quite a few threads on this topic... maybe even make a quick video...

Latest posts

Back