I've narrowed everything down

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greglockard1

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUIwehsqiKk

In my original thread, I had mentioned that I could not decide between a few select rectifiers, both old and new. Now I've narrowed it down to two: the multi-watt Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, and the Mesa Boogie Roadster, with a video to boot. The reason I've included the Roadster in the mix is because in an (old, maybe from 2006) interview, Adam D (one of the guitarists in Killswitch Engage) mentioned that for live performances, they used Mesa Roadsters and triple rectifiers (which isn't that big a difference from the duals). While this is true, I could never figure out what they used in the video, when they played live in Worcester for a special DVD. Hell, it could be a Framus Dragon for all I know. Since I'm not at liberty to try either of these amps out anywhere, I thought I'd make a topic almost identical to the last, only this time, I have something on video, and for you guys to listen to. The tone you hear in the video, is the holy grail tone I've been looking for. Now, here's the question...whether it's Mesa Boogies or not, which sounds closest in the video, the dual rectifier or the Roadster? I'm asking this here, because I've only tried the old 3 channel dual rectifier, and that's it. You guys would know which one sounds closer than the other one better, because more than likely, some of you here have owned either or both, and are more familiar of what they sound like than me.

Honestly, that could be any Recto.

I know we all argue and debate the details between various versions of the amp, and in the process it probably makes it sound like there's huge differences between each version, but at the end of the day they all produce the same basic sound.

Switching from EMGs to a passive humbucker produces a bigger tonal variation than switching from my old 2 channel to my Roadster. If you can try both amps and buy whichever one gives you the biggest hard-on. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the details.

it depends, if you would prefer a small combo, a Roadster will be more easy to find then a dual.
other then that... ?

playing si a more significant factor here.

screamingdaisy said:
Honestly, that could be any Recto.

I know we all argue and debate the details between various versions of the amp, and in the process it probably makes it sound like there's huge differences between each version, but at the end of the day they all produce the same basic sound.

Switching from EMGs to a passive humbucker produces a bigger tonal variation than switching from my old 2 channel to my Roadster. If you can try both amps and buy whichever one gives you the biggest hard-on. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the details.

+1

screamingdaisy said:
If you can try both amps and buy whichever one gives you the biggest hard-on. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the details.

Well said

D2dark said:
it depends, if you would prefer a small combo, a Roadster will be more easy to find then a dual.
other then that... ?
The roadster currently only comes in a 2x12 combo which weighs at least 85lbs. I would say get a head and a separate cab for portability. Lugging that massive combo around gets old real quick.

knotts said:
The roadster currently only comes in a 2x12 combo which weighs at least 85lbs.

Mesa's product guide lists it at 100lbs. I was thinking about getting one to simplify setup/teardown... but ****! Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a single top handle on a 100lb combo is an *******.

screamingdaisy said:
knotts said:

Mesa's product guide lists it at 100lbs. I was thinking about getting one to simplify setup/teardown... but ****! Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a single top handle on a 100lb combo is an *******.

I went to a Mesa Boogie night clinic once, and an endorsee was on stage to give a quick shoutout to Mesa. He said he was looking for a nice amp that was lighter than his rack setup. He went with a Road King I combo. I've tried lifting one of those up before. WTF@lighter than rack setup comment... :lol:

screamingdaisy said:
knotts said:

I only know because my LSC 2X12 was so **** heavy I build a head cab to separate it. It was ridiculously heavy which is why it had wheels, but those down help get it in the trunk or bring it up the stairs.

Back