Help w/ in-ceiling speaker wiring

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sab7896

Reaction score
I want to install 4 speakers in the sloped ceiling of my bonus room to plug my Lonestar amp into. I'm new at this and would greatly appreciate any advice offered. I'm looking for suggestions on what speakers to use and how to wire them. The amp has 3 speaker outputs (2x4 Ohm and 1x8 Ohm). After reading the amp manual, my first thoughts are to use 8 Ohm speakers and wire all 4 of them together (combination of series and parallel) to give a total load of 8 Ohms. This would make for a single input that would be safe (from my understanding) to use on either the 8 Ohm or 4 Ohm output from the amp.

As far as the speakers are concerned, I'm willing to spend $300 to $400. Any recommendations on specific models or even just general requirements would be appreciated.

I think you would ruin your home IMHO.
You are essentially making your ceiling a 4x12 cab.
The vibration would be "epic dude".

Is that opinion too cautious?

That's a good point and one that I hadn't considered. Does vibration ever cause problems in homes that have surround sound speakers mounted in walls or ceilings? Or speakers used for music? I'm not trying to refute your point... I ask because I don't know. The ceiling is insulated (attic is on the other side) which may or may not cut down on the vibrations spreading. I'm not planning on giving any concerts in the room, I just thought it would be cool to surround the room w/ speakers that don't take up any space or have wires running everywhere.

I used to install mall type in the ceiling PA systems. It's a high voltage wire that delivers the sound and each speaker taps into it with a wattage rating. They don't vibrate much at all and they are pretty darn loud even tapped as low as one and two watts.

With my Mesa 1x12 at jam level I can shake the house. At jams it shakes the drum kit real good while setting a sound level.

What would be the difference in plugging the amp directly into the speakers vs using the speakers as a PA system and putting a mic on the amp? It would be nice if these speakers could double as TV speakers (not as surround sound just additional speakers to the TV). What would be the best option here? Or is it not a worthwhile cause?

You can't get there from here. Speakers that will sound good for guitar will sound bad for TV or music, and vice versa - they're two totally different types of speakers and sound requirements. Also, I'd bet that guitar speakers will sound very bad mounted in a ceiling, although I've never actually tried that. I did try several of the other combinations when I was a teenager and I didn't know about all this!

Your best bet is to use small full-range 'music' speakers, and if you want to play guitar through them, use a modeling amp. Really. There is no benefit to using a decent tube amp to drive speakers like that. If you really want to use the tube amp to play quietly, use a dummy load to absorb the power of the amp, then re-amp it through a modeler set to a clean sound and then through the room speakers. Mic'ing the amp and then going through a (normal hi-fi type) amp into the room speakers will also work, but if you can hear the amp's own speaker, why bother?

I see that now as I'm learning. I'm glad I posted instead of just attempting it. I'll devote the ceiling speakers to the TV and stereo and just stick w/ the amp for now. If I want more speaker later I'll just use a speaker cabinet.

Latest posts

Back