Mesa vert Rectifier cab compared to Port City cab or???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papersoul

Reaction score
Guys, I am looking for a cab to use with Celestion Creambacks. Port City 212, Rectifier cab or something else? Really interested in the Port City! Already have Stone Age with Lynchbacks and Bogner with V30s.

I am worried the Port City could lack good lows and the vertical rectifier cab may be better. Either way, the cab is getting Creambacks or a mix of WGS Invader/ET-65!

Thanks.

Maybe some folks on the board don't own one, or the other, or both.
I wondered myself about Port City cabs though. :?

Thanks. Since I want this cab to be my greenback cab, I am leaning toward something like a Splawn 212 or the Rectifier vertical 212 and installing Celestion Creambacks when released. :)

I've not had those two cabs literally next to each other for a shoot out, but in the way of bass and/or punch, it's somewhat close. And mine are the old school Boogie 2x12 half-back cabs (with the back on) loaded with WGS ET65 top and Veteran 30 below. Bass is solid without flub...pushed, it's impressive. IMO, more defined than the PortCity. The Port City model I played thru had V30s and was horizontal. Not exactly a fair comparison, but it's all I have. :wink: My rig is a classic rock setup, so YMMV.

kdorsey said:
I've not had those two cabs literally next to each other for a shoot out, but in the way of bass and/or punch, it's somewhat close. And mine are the old school Boogie 2x12 half-back cabs (with the back on) loaded with WGS ET65 top and Veteran 30 below. Bass is solid without flub...pushed, it's impressive. IMO, more defined than the PortCity. The Port City model I played thru had V30s and was horizontal. Not exactly a fair comparison, but it's all I have. :wink: My rig is a classic rock setup, so YMMV.

Thanks bro! Not much of a classic rock guys anymore...maybe in my younger years. Either cab I get...must be fully closed because I am using Celestion Creambacks. I find any Greenback or Greenback close, even high powered ones are so much better in closed back, that is why I skipped on Foite cabs and other semi open back cabs. I have a THD cab with G12K-100s, a Bogner that is an oversized 212 with V30s and a Stone Age 212C with Lynchbacks. Next cab, I don't want to order new! It must be used because I am tired of spending so much on cabs. I just bought a Stone Age two months ago. I run all my cabs semi open!

The cab I want needs to be tall enough so I don't have to bend over far to adjust (I am 6'4") and also for better spread at gigs. My semi open back cabs can be heard well on stage, but with a closed back, it will need a port like the Port City, horizontal on a stand or vertical......vertical cabs to me lack a full low end, but the Mesa vert is very deep and wider than most vertical 212 cabs. Hopefully it would take Celestion Creambacks well. :)

However, one cab I want is close or maybe closed and ported. I was looking at a used Splawn horizontal 212, Mesa vert rectifier

Would the Port City be a horizontal, diagonal, or vertical?

I've heard that diagonal 2x12's sound more like 4x12's.....Lopoline, Soundcraft...others?

OK, I played a friend's Port City and hated it as I have always hated ported cabs! Too boomy, lots of lows and highs!

What about a cab like 29Wx24HX14D? My current cabs are all that size except they are 12" deep. For my Greenback cab I was thinking 14" because I want this closer to a 412 response. Was also looking at the MojoTone diagonal 212 that is 26Wx27Hx14D.

Finally, still looking at the Mesa Vert! I like the look of the Mesa, although the width could be an issue if I buy a Splawn Quickrod head, which is 29" long!
The other worry is the slant top! Some people say with a slant top, there can be an issue with EQ. You end up EQing the amp darker to compensate for all the highs with the slant speaker hitting you in the face and then the audience hears a dark tone. Honestly I think that is BS. With a slant cab, I tend to EQ more accurately because I can better hear the cab.

The cab is getting Creambacks by Celestion.

Back