Question About Reborn Recto Tone Comparison

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoismetal

Reaction score
I'd like to hear back from owners, especially those with 90's 2-channel recs, how it compares to older 3-channel and 2-channel rectos.

I had a ROV Series 1 combo for a while and it sounded awesome. I know that the singles and duals do not sound exactly the same as DR's, but it gets pretty close IMO.

However, I found my ROV sounded a bit fizzy on Vintage and quite a bit fizzier on Modern.

Did Mesa "fix" this on the reborn rectos?

Thanks!

If you dial in the amp well the fizz problem will be fixed.

If you dial it in like every other dude with a fizz problem, then you'll have a fizzy amp.

I use very "conservative" EQ'ing on my amps.

I rarely max out any setting. My EQ is usually treble: 1 o'clock, mid: 10 o'clock, bass: 11 o'clock, presence: 10.5 o'clock.

Volume is set to about 2 on the output and 2 on the channel master for a-little-over-bedroom-volume sessions.

I find that Vintage mode is less fizzy. However, it doesn't sound as "open" as the Modern mode. It sounds a bit... muffled?

Thanks for the feedback!

Will somebody please explain to me what fizzy means? When I think fizzy I think static, like white noise on a dead tv signal. Am I way off? Also, what is woofy and barky...

SonVolt said:
Will somebody please explain to me what fizzy means? When I think fizzy I think static, like white noise on a dead tv signal. Am I way off? Also, what is woofy and barky...

You could say it does sound a bit like static, like a bad fuzz OD.

I know some of the terminology used by musicians can be rather hard to interpret.

The way I like to think about fizz is to visualize. Think a bout a note being a straight-ish line and the fizz being harmonic overtones that stick out perpendicular to the note you are playing. A fizzy sound also tends to be quite thin-with no solid body.

Non-fizzy OD tends to be smoother and thicker. Again, think of a line, but this time the harmonic overtones ring parallel closer to the original line.

I hope that explanation sort of makes sense.

Latest posts

Back