Mesa V30 vs Celestion V30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Both speakers loaded in a 23" Mesa 1x12 cab. The rig went SG -> Recto -> Cab -> SM57

Starts with the Celestion and switches to the Mesa. Before people start the default "mic position" debate you should know the differences accurately portray the differences I hear in the room.

http://tonefinder.com/files/90-V30%20Comparison%202.mp3

Below is some pictures I shot of each speaker's driver assembly. The basket and the cone look identical, but I can't see the voice coil on either so no idea. Both are made in the UK.

Celestion V30
7428236098_367123dda0_c.jpg

Mesa OEM V30
7428230018_882ff36d22_c.jpg

Celestion V30
7428226874_dc3149606b_c.jpg

Mesa OEM V30
7428232654_9817378069_c.jpg

And here's a cab comparison....

Mesa V30 in a Mesa 23" 1x12 open back cab
http://tonefinder.com/files/21-V30%20Comparison%202%2C%20Mesa%20Only.mp3

Bottom left V30 on my stock Recto 4x12
http://tonefinder.com/files/95-V30%20Comparison%203%2C%20Recto%204x12.mp3

Mesa spec v30s are definitely darker and smoother sounding.
I also find it extremely interesting how similar the two cabs sound when miced up. You can tell the differences between cabs much more readily in a room.

Wow, the Mesa spec wins hands down in this one. The Celestion sounds like a fizzy trebly mess :?

Could 8 ohms vs 16 ohms have a say here?

Funny how I tried my Celestion V30 4x12 vs a Marshall spec V30 4x12 and there wasn't much difference at all.

Jackie said:
Yes. I would expect it to sound brighter and tighter at 16 ohms than 8 even if the speakers were identical, and even if the amp is correctly matched to each one.

Also, do the speakers have equal break-in time? This makes a big difference with V30s, even long after what would normally be thought of as 'broken in'.

Wow. I didnt even read which was which first and took a listen. It aint no surprise I chose the mesa speaker as the winner.

YellowJacket said:
Mesa spec v30s are definitely darker and smoother sounding.
I also find it extremely interesting how similar the two cabs sound when miced up. You can tell the differences between cabs much more readily in a room.

Definitely. The differences would be important when putting a distance/room mic on the cab... I tossed those clips out because it was surprising and gave me a new perspective of what's actually required at a mic'd gig.

Jackie said:

I have 16ohm Mesas and they sound more or less the same as the 8ohm versions. I just didn't feel like ripping apart my 2x12 to use them for this experiment.

94Tremoverb said:
Also, do the speakers have equal break-in time? This makes a big difference with V30s, even long after what would normally be thought of as 'broken in'.

The Celestion has about 7 years on it. The Mesa was around a year... maybe a little less.

I think you guys are getting hung up on the impedance and ignoring other details.

If you look at the pics you can see that they use different casting methods, that the voice coil on the Mesa is machined instead of cast, that they appear to be made out of different alloys and that they use different adhesives. Plus the significant difference in the amount of magnet that's protruding.

I can confirm that the difference in magnet showing has nothing to do with impedance as the 16ohm Mesa's are the same as the 8ohm Mesas.

screamingdaisy said:
I think you guys are getting hung up on the impedance and ignoring other details.

Yep, fully agree. The glue type is a large factor (with the different V30s) although most people would think it to be totally innocent. You can't really even see it, but it is responsible transfering the voice coil movement to the cone. That may not seem like a dificult job, but when you consider that the cone changes direction upto many thousands of times a second !

Then there is the cone doping, you can't see that either...

I think the T3904 and T4335 are cone designations....if they are, the cone is also possibly different in the two speakers.

Tommy_G said:
I think the T3904 and T4335 are cone designations....if they are, the cone is also possibly different in the two speakers.

They're are their part numbers. To the best of my knowledge all V30s use the same 444 cone.

Mesa = T4335 (8 ohms) or T4416 (16 ohms)
Celestion = T3903 (8 ohms) or T3904 (16 ohms)
Marshall = T3989 (8 ohms) or T3897 (16 ohms)

I'm going to repost some info I found on TGP...

------

=MGSchindel;10054597]What do Vintage 30s sound like?

That's a good question, since there seem to be at least three distinct voicings of this speaker that I keep coming across. After years of mic'ing different cabs and cranking different cabs and mixing different speakers with different amps, looking for the right tones, liking some of them and not liking others, on occasion, I've pulled this together just from general observations:

The Mesa-only proprietary V30 seems to have its own thing going. Warmer and smoother right out of the gate, with its mids shifted lower and its highs more rolled off than the others, it sounds more broken in almost right away, to my ear, no matter what cab you stick it in. It carries its own celestion model codes. Here is a Mesa-only, custom-voiced proprietary V30, English made, post 2002, taken out of tall Recto cab. Model T4335 with extra copper on voice coil, seems like slightly different suspension and adhesives, straight 444 cone, etc.

MesaV30.jpg

mesav302.jpg

Below is an old mid-90’s England-made (same as current chinese made) celestion-only voiced V30, painted tan-gold frame, model T3904, cone is stamped D20 444…..mids and treble sit differently from the Mesa and Marshall versions, to my ear, and I guess celestion couldn't be using either of the proprietary mesa or marshall voiced V30 sounds, for its own raw frame speakers available to the general public. Other amp manufacturers that are NOT mesa or marshall typically have this version of the V30 in their cabs, such as Engl, Randall, etc. Still reasonably warm but can be chesty and fizzy with some amps, and really benefits from heavy break-in to smooth out the fatiguing mid spike it throws off with some amps. Seems to have some extra 700hz too.

englishV30.jpg

britv30.jpg

And here’s the Marshall “Vintage” proprietary marshall-only model T3897, raw silver frame, made by celestion in England for Marshall, OEM. It never actually has Vintage "30" printed on the magnet sticker, just "Vintage". This is the first, earliest, longest-running, and original V30, initially designed and released in 1986 for use in some Marshall amps and cabs, before Mesa and Celestion ever had their own custom voicings later on in the 90's. If you're hearing a v30 tone on a recording made before 1990, it's these speakers. They were originally designed to sound almost like an AlNiCo speaker, but using a large ceramic magnet, sort of a cross between a celestion Blue and a G12H30.

This Marshall Vintage speaker seems the brightest, most crunchy, most metallic and most cutting of the bunch, with the upper mids and treble sitting differently (shifted higher up, overall) than either of the later mesa-only or celestion-only variants, to my ear. Less chesty mid-mids, and harder sounding upper mids, than the others. Treble can be quite piercing depending how you dial it with some amps, at high volumes. The cones are always just stamped 444. You'll find these in some of the old Marshall silver jubilee cabs from 1987-1988 particularly, and thereafter in the current- production Marshall 1960AV/BV cabs:

All V30s out there are NOT created equal. All V30s are not designed the same. All V30’s are not made in China, even today, not that it matters, per se. All V30s are not made from the same parts and materials. All three versions above, for example, sound noticeably different to me. Some work better than others with certain amps. They all generally have a V30-type sound and clearly all live in the same tonal family, but the mic and the human ear and the band mix do not experience them all the same way, IMHO. They each require different amp settings with the same amp. YMMV. I am also advised by Celestion directly that ALL verisons of the V30, no matter when or where or for whom made, are about 65 watts in actuality. So the discretionary 70w or 60w ratings of various manufacturers as printed on their cabs over the years have no real bearing on sound, quality, build, etc. That has never changed. If your 1998 Mesa recto cab has 280w printed on the speaker jack plate, and your 2011 Mesa recto cab has 240w printed on the speaker jack plate, rest assured it is still the same English-made T4335 V30 inside, unchanged since about 1991, with the same tone and power handling. If the older one sounds better, it's just more broken in and the adhesives, magnets and paper cones are aging nicely.

Yes a Marshall 1960BV cab will sound different from a Randall XL4x12B will sound different from a Mesa Stiletto cab. No, it's not just the cabinet design, the speakers themselves are all different models inside each of them, so pick you favorite based on your amp and the overall tone you hear for the speaker model in question which you prefer, rather than "brand hype."

Hopefully this post will dispel at least some of the many internet myths and misinformation of the mysterious V30 and its different models and voicings, which no one ever seems to have any actual factual info about, and no one seems very comfortable discussing. If you've ever hated or loved a V30 with an amp, someone else may not be having the same experience because the particular V30 they alternately hate or love may actually have a slightly different voicing and be a different T code model altogether, notwitstanding how a really good break-in over the years can affect all of the above.

Cheers!

And I should add that there is yet another V30 voicing or two I am aware of...such as the Hellatone 60"L" model. Avatar sold this speaker for a while, and advised it had more low end and a more rolled-off, smoother top end than the standard Chinese T3904, which they still sell relabeled as the plain old Hellatone 60. Avatar advised the 60"L" was a 16 ohm Chinese made speaker, and was NOT the English made Mesa V30 or Marshall Vintage, either. If anyone has a Hellatone 60"L" could you PLEASE advise us in this thread what the four number celestion T model code stamped on the frame or magnet sticker is, and what is stamped on the paper cone?

UPDATE: THE HELLATONE 60L IS IN FACT YET ANOTHER VOICING OF THE V30. IT IS A CHINESE-MADE MODEL T5321.

I am further advised by a reliable source that some boutique amp manufacturers may also have their own slight voicing tweaks on the V30, and that small custom runs are discretely handled by celestion for them out of their England facilities in low quantities.

"Based on all our direct tests and recordings of all these, in general it seems the Mesa-only V30 T4335 used from 1991 on is the warmest and smoothest V30 with the cleanest punch and nicest top end. Definitely voiced differently. The old english and new chinese celestion-only T3903/T3904 is brighter with more filler fizz, less bass, and looser low mids. The marshall-only “vintage” T3897 in the 1960av/bv cabs is the brightest, tightest and harshest of the bunch, but crunchier with less fizz and way more treble."

There's a reason guys like Andy Sneap, when producing a slickly-produced metal album, will drop a re-amped guitar tone right through an old Mesa Recto 4x12 with V30 T4335's....The way it is voiced in the mids, it falls right into the mix with the least amount of post eq'ing, and 80% of the homework is done. No extra bass blurring the kick drums to roll off, not much mid-fizz to notch out, and no harsh treble to compete with vocals and cymbals. Guys that don't even like V30s sometimes wind up having some producer re-amp their guitar sound into V30s just to make the mix more professional and balanced, like it or not.

Then again, some guys only like Marshall 1960AV/BV cabs for live use, and think the Mesas are too buried in the live mix. Those Vintages can slice thru the mix, and the awesome din of a live metal gig, like a flamethrower through tissue paper. I've heard some early Marshall Vintage speakers in the studio, and at some live gigs, that were so bright, their top end rivaled or even surpassed the wicked, gnarly top end spike of cranked G12T-75s.

I can tell you, from swapping out the speakers into the opposite cabs, that while the cab shell design will slightly alter the content of the low-end and low mids, the overall voicing, brightness, eq'ing, etc. was primarily dictated by the differences in the various proprietary speaker designs and builds, IMHO. A mesa cab with Marshall Vintages suddenly sounds almost just like a Marshall cab, and a Marshall cab with Mesa V30s suddenly sounds a WHOLE lot warmer and smoother like a Mesa cab LOL!

I hear ya! I stuck a 2009 Marshall 1960AV with its stock T3897 Marshall Vintage speakers right alongside a 2008 Bogner 4x12 with its stock Celestion V30 chinese T3409 speakers. Both cabs were placed lying on their sides, directly on the floor. Using a Marshall 2203 head with presence 6, Bass 7, Mids 2, Treble 4, Volume 4, Preamp 9, pushed with an overdrive pedal, I can tell you that both in the room and at the mic, the Marshall speakers were smooth but bright, very clear, tight, thick in the low mids, and almost scooped due to their bright top end and solid lows. They also feel harder and like they have less of their own slight break-up. The Celestion V30 speakers by direct comparision had less lows, a more rounded top end, a softer overall sound, slightly blurry low mids, and a compressed, chesty mid-to-upper midrange. The effect was a less scooped speaker that is a bit darker overall, but with accentuated mids in the 700hz range that exaggerated their fizzy mid spike, and I will admit I always find them a bit fatiguing due to that mid spike even though they have much less treble than the marshall speakers. They also feel a bit looser and like they add a little bit of their own break-up to the sound.

Some guys really dig the marshall speaker after it breaks in well and warms up, and they used to use those for thrash metal due to its clear, bright, scooped, less fizzy nature (like on some old Exodus albums). But some guys hate that speaker, calling it piercing or brash, and prefer the warm, washy mids of the smoother chinese model, especially with a strat and especially with lower gain settings, where the chinese speaker's extra mid-hump, rolled back highs, and extra dirt helps fill out the sound very well, with some amps.

Sort of of topic, but very important/valid.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to match an amp to the speaker voicing it was designed around. Otherwise, with a speaker that is a tonal mismatch to your amp, you'll spend all your time chasing various tweaks to the tone controls, and will never really settle on the right sound where you just want to play and get lost in the sound.

Worse yet, you may wind up disliking and selling a really great amp, after too much frustrating time trying to dial it in for the wrong cabinet and speakers. Lots of guys change amps like underwear, but try to keep and use the same cab/speakers. This can be a recipe for constant disappointments.

I almost sold my Recto because I couldn't stand the sound of it through my Orange 4x12. The sound was bright, harsh and fizzy. I had my mids near cranked and the treble turned off trying to smooth it out. I thought my ears must've changed in the time between selling my previous Recto and acquiring a new one, but it turned out that I hated the sound of that cab with that amp.

My Orange 4x12 is now half reloaded with used Mesa V30s. Some day I'll acquire another two and finish the process.

Thanks for that great compendium of info. Who would have guessed the world of v30's could be so.....complex.

KH Guitar Freak said:
Probably the same reason why Eric Johnson rewired his 4X12 cabs to 8 ohms...
Which is not possible, with four 16-ohm speakers. I read that quote too, and took it to mean that "running at 8 ohms" meant that he runs his amp at 8 ohms into a 16-ohm cabinet.

screamingdaisy said:
Not ignoring - just that the difference in impedance should be responsible for some of the difference in tone.

screamingdaisy said:
And here’s the Marshall “Vintage” proprietary marshall-only model T3897, raw silver frame, made by celestion in England for Marshall, OEM. It never actually has Vintage "30" printed on the magnet sticker, just "Vintage". This is the first, earliest, longest-running, and original V30, initially designed and released in 1986 for use in some Marshall amps and cabs, before Mesa and Celestion ever had their own custom voicings later on in the 90's. If you're hearing a v30 tone on a recording made before 1990, it's these speakers.
Even that is not the *original* V30. The very first ones had a vented magnet like the Mesa C90. I had a Marshall Studio 15 - the first amp ever to use the V30 - with one of these in it.

They were originally designed to sound almost like an AlNiCo speaker, but using a large ceramic magnet, sort of a cross between a celestion Blue and a G12H30.
I'm not sure where this has come from - other than Celestion, who seem to state it - but it's wrong. The V30 was never designed to sound like an Alnico speaker, it was specifically designed to sound like an old G12H-30 - a "vintage 30" - hence the name. (Or why else would they call a 70-watt speaker a "Vintage 30"?) The fact that it doesn't sound like a vintage H30 is probably why they backtracked and claimed something else, but I remember seeing the original ads for it back in the 80s... which I wish I could find now! They clearly stated that it was modeled on an H30, using laser interferometry to analyse the cone movement - which shows how much faith you can put in science when it comes to subjective things like tone, sometimes :).

94Tremoverb said:
I'm not sure where this has come from - other than Celestion, who seem to state it - but it's wrong. The V30 was never designed to sound like an Alnico speaker, it was specifically designed to sound like an old G12H-30 - a "vintage 30" - hence the name. (Or why else would they call a 70-watt speaker a "Vintage 30"?) The fact that it doesn't sound like a vintage H30 is probably why they backtracked and claimed something else, but I remember seeing the original ads for it back in the 80s... which I wish I could find now! They clearly stated that it was modeled on an H30, using laser interferometry to analyse the cone movement - which shows how much faith you can put in science when it comes to subjective things like tone, sometimes :).

One thing to remember is that Marhsall "Vintage" speakers were out for years before Celestion released the Vintage 30, and that back in the 80s G12H-30s weren't exactly vintage anything. Long story short, I have a hard time believing the goal was to make a speaker that sounded like a speaker they just discontinued.

Some theorize that it's called a Vintage 30 because 30cm = 12". Others because it was made out of leftover G12H-30 parts... namely the heavy magnet and bass cone. Me personally, I don't care as I don't think it's name has an impact on the way it sounds.

As for what they were trying to develop, who can say? Maybe the original Vintage speakers did sound vaguely like an old alnico to a bunch of people who were burned out on scooped G12T-75s? It's obvious they didn't nail it, but that doesn't rule out that their original goal could've been to create an alnico/ceramic cross and the Marshall Vintage was the best they could come up with.

screamingdaisy said:
One thing to remember is that Marhsall "Vintage" speakers were out for years before Celestion released the Vintage 30, and that back in the 80s G12H-30s weren't exactly vintage anything. Long story short, I have a hard time believing the goal was to make a speaker that sounded like a speaker they just discontinued.
I really wish I'd kept a copy of something with Celestion's original description in it!

This was just at the time that old speakers were starting to become desirable, when people were beginning to notice that the old cabs with 25s and 30s sounded much better than the new ones.

Some theorize that it's called a Vintage 30 because 30cm = 12". Others because it was made out of leftover G12H-30 parts... namely the heavy magnet and bass cone.
Wrong and wronger ;).

As for what they were trying to develop, who can say? Maybe the original Vintage speakers did sound vaguely like an old alnico to a bunch of people who were burned out on scooped G12T-75s? It's obvious they didn't nail it, but that doesn't rule out that their original goal could've been to create an alnico/ceramic cross and the Marshall Vintage was the best they could come up with.
Trust me, I was just really getting into guitar gear exactly at the time all this was going on (early enthusiasm obsessiveness ;)) and I can guarantee that it was meant to sound like a vintage G12H-30 but with higher power handling. Alnico had nothing to do with it - back then they were only considered speakers for an AC30.

The G12T-75 had only been out for a year or so at this point too - the 'modern' speakers mostly in use in Marshall cabs were the G12-65 and G12-80, and a very short run of the G12M-70 just before they switched to the 75s. These early 75s *also* have vented magnets and sound different from the current ones, by the way...

For what it's worth, I took the original V30 out of my Studio 15 and put in a genuine vintage G12H-30, because I didn't really like the V30. How things have changed! (Or rather, the speakers have genuinely improved with age as well just like the old ones did.)

On another forum someone did something similiar but with Chinese V30's versus UK vintage V30's. The verdict? I'd say 90% of anyone who posted like the Chinese one's better.

For me? I thought the Chinese one's KILLLED the UK V30's. But yes, the Mesa spec V30's also sound great and better than the regular V30's as well.

Back