Red Hot Electra Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesboy335

Reaction score
Hello,
recently I purchased an Electra Dyne; great sound.
Since I read the manual, I found out that you can easily replace the 6L6 tubes for EL34's (for the bias, I don't have to worry, the manufacturer had id set;)
I have done so.
J*sus what a sound!! 8) Awesome!!
However; Also the temperature goes up; you cannot hold your hand on the button for the reverb (rear);almost blisters on my fingers.
This is only the inside; than the outside, the circuit board must be boiling by mow
I dare to take the El's are not really in; afraid that the amp it's not going to survive.
Shame, because this is the sound where I have been looking for quite some time.

According to the booklet I can do this, but I dunno... :?
Has anyone experience this?
Or good advice?

El34 tubes won't run significantly hotter than the stock 6L6 tubes if everything is as it should be.

Do you have a head or combo ? The combos upside down chassis does run hot and the heat rises into the above circuit board and components.

I have an ED head and after a few hours it would get painful to touch, they do run hot. I installed a pair of cooling fans in mine which do keep the temperature much lower.

Indeed, I bouht a pair of JJ's, from wich I knew they sound good. (I always had those in my JCM900)
In the ED the sound is far better!
I expect to buy a pair of Mesa's ?
What kind of fan(s) should I use, like the one in a pc?

bluesboy335 said:
Indeed, I bouht a pair of JJ's, from wich I knew they sound good. (I always had those in my JCM900)
In the ED the sound is far better!
I expect to buy a pair of Mesa's ?
What kind of fan(s) should I use, like the one in a pc?
Are these JJs rated to run at Mesa bias specs, or did you just buy a random set?

The tubes could be running at a very hot bias current which could explain the excessive heat.

Dom

domct203 said:
Are these JJs rated to run at Mesa bias specs, or did you just buy a random set?

The tubes could be running at a very hot bias current which could explain the excessive heat.

Dom
I bought a matched pair (4); not Mesa specs.
Maybe these are the tubes I need:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/mesa_el34_str447_gelb.htm

Wat does the color yellow stand for? medium hot?

bluesboy335 said:
domct203 said:

Dom
I bought a matched pair (4); not Mesa specs.
Maybe these are the tubes I need:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/mesa_el34_str447_gelb.htm

Wat does the color yellow stand for? medium hot?

I'd save yourself the headache and buy the mesa badged tubes, especially if the amp is still under warranty (which it WILL be). Using other tubes voids the warranty.

Hi I also have an Electradyne combo (the short one)
I am still using the 6L6 that came with the amp, and noticed also that the rear panel gets really hot.
I am afraid some cables inside could melt down...
Regarding the fans you mentioned...
What kind of cooling fans are you talking about?
Are they batteries operated or do you have to connect them via cable?
Where did you locate them?
I used to have a big regular fan running behind my amp, but 2 small cooling fans sound like a better idea.
Please share your experience installing and locating these fans!
If you can load a pic would be cool!
Thanks!

I thought there was a photo at one point, I did a quick search but didn't turn it up. This is the thread:

http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=55948

I would not worry about wires melting inside. But keeping it cool is a very good idea. Electronics age much faster at hotter temps.

Latest posts

Back