Road King 2X12 Horizontal extension cabinet questio(s).

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone...

I have a Road King Series 11 combo. I'm thinking about getting a 2X12 extension cabinet for the bigger rooms.

My questions are: I've seen several 2X12 Horizontal Recto cabinets for sale but little or no Road King 2X12 Horizontal cabinets out there. I believe Mesa still makes the Road King 2X12 Horizontal Cabinet but no one seems to stock them.

Do any of you have a Road King Series 11 combo and use a 2X12 Horizontal extension cabinet? If so, which one? Are there any real difference between the two? I'm assuming Mesa designed the Road King 2X12 Horizontal cabinet to go with the Road King amp/combo.

Any input or help will be greatly appreciated.

RD

I don't have a RK combo, but I have a Road King 2x12. It is a great cab. I had them wire it a little differently when I ordered it since I use it with another 8 ohm cab, and made it 8 ohm mono/16 ohm stereo so I can run both at 4 ohms from one head. It functions great on it's own as a 2x12, and is a little heavier than a Recto horizontal 2x12. It has the same dimensions as the Recto 2x12 as well, just has the open side and closed side. I have never seen anyone stock one of these cabs in any music store, so I ordered it without hearing one, but I really like it. Wouldn't trade it for a Regular Recto 2x12. It is less harsh (balance of C90/V30 instead of just V30s), and a little less directional than the Recto 2x12. Not sure if this answers any of your questions, but it's my experience with the cab. Good luck!

-AJH

Thanks AJH for your response.

I'm guessing that the Road King 2X12 cabinet is more open sounding to complement the combo model. I think that's definitley the correct way to go. I'm not sure why you don't see any of these out there. Well I did see one or two but the majority are the Recto cab's.

Did you order your's from Mesa or go through a dealer? I live in Jacksonville, Fla. and we don't have a Mesa dealer at present.

RD

I believe you'll have to order it from a dealer, especially if you want custom options. Might be able to get it shipped to you. I ordered mine from the factory, but I am endorsed. I don't think I could do that otherwise.

-AJH

No problem. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 2x12, especially if you like the combo. Does the combo have a V30/C90 speaker combination, or is it just one or the other? I was just wondering about that, and I can't find what speakers are in the combo on the internet.

-AJH

AJH- I don't know what the actual speakers are in the the Road King Series 11 combo. The manual doesn't indicate and I can't find anything- so far- on the net that indicates what they are. I believe they're unmatched or not the same. I would like to know.

I really like this amp. You do have to spend so time with it due to the incredible number of choices it offers but once you find them, it's pretty awesome. The choices do make a big difference in the tone, volume, sound, etc. It's such a great amp for a player that needs multiple choices in their music. I was a bit overwhelmed at first but once you get the idea, its really pretty simple.

When I do decide to order the Road King 2X12 Horizontal cabinet, I do have a question regarding how to correctly hook it up. Do I just run a cord from the extension cabinet to the 4 ohms input of the combo? What about the dummy plugin- do I leave that plugged in or unplug it? Sorry for the elementary questions, the manual doesn't make it very clear.

Many thanks again for your help.

RD

Thanks also Yellowjacket for your input.

AJH- I don't know what the actual speakers are in the the Road King Series 11 combo. The manual doesn't indicate and I can't find anything- so far- on the net that indicates what they are. I believe they're unmatched or not the same. I would like to know.

I really like this amp. You do have to spend so time with it due to the incredible number of choices it offers but once you find them, it's pretty awesome. The choices do make a big difference in the tone, volume, sound, etc. It's such a great amp for a player that needs multiple choices in their music. I was a bit overwhelmed at first but once you get the idea, its really pretty simple.

When I do decide to order the Road King 2X12 Horizontal cabinet, I do have a question regarding how to correctly hook it up. Do I just run a cord from the extension cabinet to the 4 ohms input of the combo? What about the dummy plugin- do I leave that plugged in or unplug it? Sorry for the elementary questions, the manual doesn't make it very clear.

Many thanks again for your help.

RD

Thanks also Yellowjacket for your input.

Back