Mesa Transatlantic issue (vid inside)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imc2111

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my brand new Mesa TA-15. It starts working normally and then it starts sounding distorted and unmusical. I don't have much experience with tube amps, I would appreciate any input on this case.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWX_GxlbliI&feature=youtu.be

I would say 99.9% it is a bad tube. Do you have a replacement preamp tube(12AX7)? If not, go buy you one or two. Replace each tube one at a time until you find the culprit. If it is not a preamp tube, it will be a Power tube(EL84). Buy you a matched pair and replace. Preamp tubes are much cheaper and are more likely to fail, so start there. Let us know what happens!!

Probably a tube. Mesa warranties the tubes for 6 months from the date of purchase. If you're in that window it's covered.

Ive been experimenting a bit, put it on 5 watt mode (where it ony uses 1 power tube), and it worked perfectly, used it no problems for an hour. Switched to 15 watt mode, and in no time the issue came back. Does this mean its a power tube?

It is almost certainly V4 (the driver tube) or one of the power tubes. Those tubes are also the hardest working tubes in the amp.

Assuming your tubes are outside the 6 month warranty, I'd start with V4. Still, if you have to go a get some tubes you may as well get a pair of power tubes as well. Having a spare set is a really good idea.

Latest posts

Back