New Mesa Amp Advice Needed..........Super long post, sorry!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I just sold my Express 5:25 (1x10 combo) and my Maverick 1x12 combo.
I am down to just my Super modified DC-5. DC cleans with Stiletto style / souped up Marshall lead channel.

I was originally thinking that I wanted to find another DC to mod and keep as a back up amp.
Now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a more versatile amp, which would officially make the DC my backup amp.
My band is about to start gigging and I hate only having 1 amp.

I tried a Mark V when they first came out. I really liked some things about it (cleans were great, R2 was actually usable, reverb was stellar), but just couldn't bond with it. I've always wondered if that was because I did not have my guitar with me and I wasn't really able to open it up in a busy music store.

I had a Roadster when they 1st came out. I tried the 2x12 combo in the store and loved it. I bought the head though for more versatility and never really bonded with that either.......

So, I'm down to these choices based on my needs:
Mark V combo
Roadster 2x12 combo
Express 5:50 1x12 combo

Music played:
All originals ranging in style from Steely Dan, Zappa, Incubus, Rush, mixed in with a little Santana, Black Sabbath, early Maiden etc.
Lots of clean parts ranging from jangly chords to funk to SRV type bluesy strumming.
Lots of heavy tones with jangly jazzy chords and single note arpeggios.
Lots of controlled feedback and sustained notes on distorted tones.

I am looking for:
very Fender like cleans
very Heavy distortion with tons of clarity and oommpphh!
Able to sound great at reasonable volumes for small gigs, but still able to crank it up for larger gigs and get relatively close to the same tones.
Able to feed back when needed (similar to Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream tones)
Singing sustain and single note clarity for lead work (similar to Santana's Supernatural tones)
GAIN!!!! I'm a serious gain head! Even for my bluesy tone, I use gobs of gain. I like crunchy, ballsy tones that do not loose their clarity at any volume or level of gain.

Amps I've had in the past and why I sold them:
Express 5:25 - sounded great at bedroom volumes and high volumes without the band. Did not cut through well with the band, even when using different cabinets. Did not have enough headroom on the clean channel for band volume. I want my cleans to be clean until I add a boost to them.

Maverick 1x12 - Great cleans, but still started breaking up at band volume. Lead channel was nowhere near heavy enough for the music that I play.

DC 2, 3, 5, 10 - I've owned all of them over the years.
- DC-2 - did not like the fact that the Contour only worked on the lead channel. I could have modified it, but chose not to. Great for smaller gigs, but not enough headroom for larger ones. Sounded incredible with a Heyboer output transformer upgrade!
- DC-3 - great all around amp. Not quite enough volume and headroom for larger gigs, sounded small and boxy, even with Mercury Magnetics transformers.
- DC-5 - current amp. Decent cleans, but not as chimey and Fender like as I am looking for. Great feedback and lead tone with mods. Sounds freakishly huge with Mercury Magnetics transformers. Not very good for lower volume gigs, although it does sound pretty good for bedroom playing.
- DC-10 - My favorite out of the DC lineup for depth of tone and clarity. Great cleans and great lead tones. Not quite enough gain for what I play though.....

Lonestar Classic - Great clean tones, stellar reverb. Hated the lead channel. Hated the reverb dropout when changing channels.

Lonestar Special - Great clean tones, stellar reverb, this may be my favorite Mesa so far for clean tones. Hated the lead channel, but it did sound more aggressive than the Classic.

Roadster head - just couldn't bond with it, no matter what cabinet I played it through. Did not really like the loop. I really missed the graphic EQ that my DC-10 had!

Mark IV (A & B versions) - Sterile cleans, reverb was weak, R2 only sounded like the Stones. Lead channel was great, but so close to my DC-10 (the IV had a tiny bit more gain but the 10 had this raw sound to it that I really liked at the time) that I ended up keeping the 10 and selling the IV.

Heartbreaker 2x12 combo - Incredible range of tones. Sounds phenomenal with the right mods and Mercury transformers! Ended up being a pain in the *** to move around though.

Here are my thoughts:
Mark V has LSC cleans & reverb.
Mark V has Graphic EQ.
Mark V comes in 1x12 combo. Great for grab and go & the small stages on Maui.

Roadster has tons of options and 4 channels seems like it would be great for my band since we are always experimenting with different sounds.
No Graphic EQ though.
Not sure how it would sound at smaller gig volume.
Not sure if I want to carry a 2x12 combo around anymore.

Express 5:50 has similar cleans and reverb to both of the other amps.
Only has 2 channels.
Only has the Contour option (the knob makes it much more user friendly)
Comes in 1x12 combo format, which I like.
I'm concerned that it won't cut through the mix and will get lost like the 5:25 did.

Biggest stumbling blocks.....
I live on an island. Lots of bikinis, but no great music stores. There is nowhere on my island that I can try any of these amps out (or any high end amp out for that matter).
I'm almost tempted to pull the trigger on a used V, but don't want to ship it in only to find that I don't like it!
I do not like most of the tones that I hear out of the V on any clips or videos. In fact, I was not even considering the V until I watched the Petrucci videos on Mesa's website. That guy knows how to get a great tone out of an amp!!!!!!!!

I am also guessing that all of these amps have the dreaded reverb drop out when changing channels. I think that I can live with that since I won't really hear it when the band is playing.

:lol: **** that's long........

I forgot to mention. I am only really looking at combos.
I simply do not have enough space for a head/cabinet setup and most of the places that we can play here will be way too small for a head/cabinet to fit onstage with us.
Also, I have really grown fond of the grab and go aspect of a combo!

And........
Most importantly! I want an amp that is able to make the same tones every time! The thing I hated the most about the Mark IV is how temperamental it was.
I would find the tones I wanted and it sounded great for the night (although I never used R2).
I would leave my amp exactly where it was (same cords, plug, knob settings, etc.), and the next night it would sound completely different.
The last thing I need is an amp that needs constant tweaking and attention!

Monsta-Tone said:

I live on an island. Lots of bikinis, but no great music stores. ...
Ha, ha, can't have your cake and eat it too!
[ me, sour grape, sarcasm, envious of your location :evil: ]

:lol: :lol: :lol: If it's any consolation, it's pretty hard to not wreck every time I drive through this town called Paia. So many miniskirts and bikinis, it's hard to concentrate!

I also forgot to mention that a friend of mine, here on Maui wants to sell my old Rectoverb (series II).
That amp was really great sounding, but I never used FX loops at the time.
Now I have to have a great series loop for delays and chorus!
I might try and swing by his house to look at it. He won't let anyone try any gear out with their band though until they have bought it.......

Great post. I actually like that it's long and involved, as it doesn't leave many questions to be asked.

My pick would be the Express 5:50. Lightweight, plenty loud for gigging (which the 5:25 is not). Lower cost than the Roadster or Mark V. Perfect rig for a cover band would be a 5:50 1-12" combo, with a 1-12" extension cab underneath it. Small footprint, while getting one of the speakers off the ground so you can hear yourself.
Would look pretty cool too.

If you needed an extra sound, some type of pedal could make the Express into an effective 3 channel amp.

Reading your post, it seems you are not concerned with having an amp with more then two channals since some of your choices are only two channal amps, being you love the DC series which is a cross between a Mark and a rectifier I will give you some suggestions.

1. Any amp with a Loops you can put an EQ in the loop and it will act as the same as the EQ's on a Mark or DC series, the fish n Chips is a good EQ and cheap.

2. I would suggest with the second amp, and since you want it to be a combo and you play so many styles of music, why limit yourself, use both amps with an A/B switch, you can cover alot more ground, and if one amp goes down then you just play the rest of the show with the second amp and get by. By the way some of my choices you will only be able to buy used, not sure if Money was an object here either.

So now for my suggestions of amps.
1 (My First Choice) Mark V combo, after a certain number they made a change and they sounded alot better, I want to say after S/N/2500 or around that range, so look for one with a high S/N.
2 Roadster or Tremoverb Combo, like I said use a EQ in the loop.
3 Stiletto ACE 1x12, Great sounding combo.
4. (My Second Choice) Mini Recto with a Mine Recto 1x12, this is close enough to a combo. I put this last because out of all the amps I listed this ones clean is not as good as the others but still really good.

Keep in mind you could still use the combo speaker cabinet with any head, just unplug the wire from the back and plug it into the head (cable should be long enough or extend it) so I would not limit yourself to combos only and then if you ever wanted to upgrade to a 2x12 or a 4x12 you could.

Monsta-Tone said:
Well, I just sold my Express 5:25 (1x10 combo) and my Maverick 1x12 combo.
I am down to just my Super modified DC-5. DC cleans with Stiletto style / souped up Marshall lead channel.

I was originally thinking that I wanted to find another DC to mod and keep as a back up amp.
Now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a more versatile amp, which would officially make the DC my backup amp.
My band is about to start gigging and I hate only having 1 amp.

I tried a Mark V when they first came out. I really liked some things about it (cleans were great, R2 was actually usable, reverb was stellar), but just couldn't bond with it. I've always wondered if that was because I did not have my guitar with me and I wasn't really able to open it up in a busy music store.

I had a Roadster when they 1st came out. I tried the 2x12 combo in the store and loved it. I bought the head though for more versatility and never really bonded with that either.......

So, I'm down to these choices based on my needs:
Mark V combo
Roadster 2x12 combo
Express 5:50 1x12 combo

Music played:
All originals ranging in style from Steely Dan, Zappa, Incubus, Rush, mixed in with a little Santana, Black Sabbath, early Maiden etc.
Lots of clean parts ranging from jangly chords to funk to SRV type bluesy strumming.
Lots of heavy tones with jangly jazzy chords and single note arpeggios.
Lots of controlled feedback and sustained notes on distorted tones.

I am looking for:
very Fender like cleans
very Heavy distortion with tons of clarity and oommpphh!
Able to sound great at reasonable volumes for small gigs, but still able to crank it up for larger gigs and get relatively close to the same tones.
Able to feed back when needed (similar to Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream tones)
Singing sustain and single note clarity for lead work (similar to Santana's Supernatural tones)
GAIN!!!! I'm a serious gain head! Even for my bluesy tone, I use gobs of gain. I like crunchy, ballsy tones that do not loose their clarity at any volume or level of gain.

Amps I've had in the past and why I sold them:
Express 5:25 - sounded great at bedroom volumes and high volumes without the band. Did not cut through well with the band, even when using different cabinets. Did not have enough headroom on the clean channel for band volume. I want my cleans to be clean until I add a boost to them.

Maverick 1x12 - Great cleans, but still started breaking up at band volume. Lead channel was nowhere near heavy enough for the music that I play.

DC 2, 3, 5, 10 - I've owned all of them over the years.
- DC-2 - did not like the fact that the Contour only worked on the lead channel. I could have modified it, but chose not to. Great for smaller gigs, but not enough headroom for larger ones. Sounded incredible with a Heyboer output transformer upgrade!
- DC-3 - great all around amp. Not quite enough volume and headroom for larger gigs, sounded small and boxy, even with Mercury Magnetics transformers.
- DC-5 - current amp. Decent cleans, but not as chimey and Fender like as I am looking for. Great feedback and lead tone with mods. Sounds freakishly huge with Mercury Magnetics transformers. Not very good for lower volume gigs, although it does sound pretty good for bedroom playing.
- DC-10 - My favorite out of the DC lineup for depth of tone and clarity. Great cleans and great lead tones. Not quite enough gain for what I play though.....

Lonestar Classic - Great clean tones, stellar reverb. Hated the lead channel. Hated the reverb dropout when changing channels.

Lonestar Special - Great clean tones, stellar reverb, this may be my favorite Mesa so far for clean tones. Hated the lead channel, but it did sound more aggressive than the Classic.

Roadster head - just couldn't bond with it, no matter what cabinet I played it through. Did not really like the loop. I really missed the graphic EQ that my DC-10 had!

Mark IV (A & B versions) - Sterile cleans, reverb was weak, R2 only sounded like the Stones. Lead channel was great, but so close to my DC-10 (the IV had a tiny bit more gain but the 10 had this raw sound to it that I really liked at the time) that I ended up keeping the 10 and selling the IV.

Heartbreaker 2x12 combo - Incredible range of tones. Sounds phenomenal with the right mods and Mercury transformers! Ended up being a pain in the *** to move around though.

Here are my thoughts:
Mark V has LSC cleans & reverb.
Mark V has Graphic EQ.
Mark V comes in 1x12 combo. Great for grab and go & the small stages on Maui.

Roadster has tons of options and 4 channels seems like it would be great for my band since we are always experimenting with different sounds.
No Graphic EQ though.
Not sure how it would sound at smaller gig volume.
Not sure if I want to carry a 2x12 combo around anymore.

Express 5:50 has similar cleans and reverb to both of the other amps.
Only has 2 channels.
Only has the Contour option (the knob makes it much more user friendly)
Comes in 1x12 combo format, which I like.
I'm concerned that it won't cut through the mix and will get lost like the 5:25 did.

I live on an island. Lots of bikinis, but no great music stores. There is nowhere on my island that I can try any of these amps out (or any high end amp out for that matter).
I'm almost tempted to pull the trigger on a used V, but don't want to ship it in only to find that I don't like it!
I do not like most of the tones that I hear out of the V on any clips or videos. In fact, I was not even considering the V until I watched the Petrucci videos on Mesa's website. That guy knows how to get a great tone out of an amp!!!!!!!!

I am also guessing that all of these amps have the dreaded reverb drop out when changing channels. I think that I can live with that since I won't really hear it when the band is playing.

Good post, long and explicative :)

So here's my valid options:

1- Express 5:50, very versatile, reliable and loud. 54 lbs. Good cleans and reverb, cool pushed/bluesy and thick expressive lead. It has the contour for each channel. I've experience with the head+2x12 v30's only so I don't know how it sounds with the c90 in the combo but I think it will be also good.

2- Mark V: LOUD! But you can use the 90/45/5 watts feature. Heavier than the Express being 65 lbs. I like it more in the head+v30's cab than in the combo+c90 speaker. A lot more versatile, a lot of options.

3- Stiletto 1x12 combo: if you like british-oriented amp. Really heavy, 78 lbs. Good clean and crunch/lead. Loud.

4- Lonestar Special: Awesome clean and reverb and, if you don't like the lead that much, add an OD or a Boost. 59 lbs.

Right on, thanks guys!

Today at band practice, I realized that the last amp I had (when I was playing with a band) that I loved the distortion channel on was an original 5150 head.

Really, my ideal amp would be....
5150 like distortion, mean, unruly, ballsy, with great clarity if you don't go overboard on the gain, and sustain for days
Fender clean tones, warm, buttery and chimey
Fender reverb, I only use it on the clean channel
Series FX loop that is transparent

That's really all I need. I have a few great pedals that I would use with it.
Boss GE-7 (with Sniper mod)
AC Booster (probably will upgrade to the BB Pre or build another BYOC OD-2 pedal)

That should give me a few different channels worth of sounds and that's all I really need.

I think that 50 watts is plenty, don't really need 100. It's hard enough to keep a 50 watt amp at a decent volume for gigs, that extra 5-10% of loudness just makes it a little harder. Although....I really love the thump that a 100 watt amp with a closed back 2x12 has!

DC-10 and a boost pedal if it doesn't have enough gain. Seriously, not enough gain?! The DC-5 I had had more gain than my Tremoverb - which was quite a surprise when I got the Tremoverb, although I never normally need that much anyway so it wasn't a problem. If the DC series doesn't have enough gain for you, you need a Mark probably.

Also, don't rule out a Nomad 100. The Nomads get a bad press, and I admit I don't like the 45s and 55s, but the 100 is in a completely different league. It's probably down to the graphic EQ as well as the extra power.

Or, get a Heartbreaker head and a cab...

Uh, Mark V but it will probably be tempermental.

If you weren't into combos only, I'd suggest the Recto Reborn for the balls heavy 5150esque distortion as well as the jangly cleans. But I don't think this is what you are looking for because it doesn't have the leads.

If you can deal with a pissy amp, the Mark V is sure not to disappoint. I've heard some incredibly heavy tones in extreme mode!

A lot of what you're writing points me towards recommending the Mark V.

I think you'll like channel 2s Crunch mode a lot... and if you want leads check out channel 3/Mark IIC+/Triode.

I recommend getting the head and a 2x12 cab. Sounds better than the combo, particularly if your goal is heavier/gainier sounds.

Petrucci wasn't using a single open back cab with a C-90 speaker in those videos you liked...

If you can deal with a pissy amp, the Mark V is sure not to disappoint.
I'm guessing that this means the Mark V is as temperamental as the IV?

94Tremoverb said:
DC-10 and a boost pedal if it doesn't have enough gain. Seriously, not enough gain?! The DC-5 I had had more gain than my Tremoverb - which was quite a surprise when I got the Tremoverb, although I never normally need that much anyway so it wasn't a problem. If the DC series doesn't have enough gain for you, you need a Mark probably.

Also, don't rule out a Nomad 100. The Nomads get a bad press, and I admit I don't like the 45s and 55s, but the 100 is in a completely different league. It's probably down to the graphic EQ as well as the extra power.

Or, get a Heartbreaker head and a cab...

I really love the DC's. I think though that I'm headed into Marshall voiced distortion territory.
I always thought my Tremoverb had more gain than the DC. Maybe it's just that they are voiced so much differently?

I was just listening to some old UFO and that is almost exactly the tone I'm after, but with a little more growl slightly darker.
Nice and crunchy, slightly dark sounding, lots of sustain when needed, tons of harmonics, and most importantly.......extremely touch sensitive. I know he's using a cranked Marshall. I just don't have that luxury.

I really do miss my old Heartbreaker. Shouldn't have sold it! I recently saw it go on ebay for around $500 or so!
I had the super high gain mod on the Lust channel, which got extremely close to the same UFO tones that I was listening to earlier.
Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a decent used HB and throw my EQ pedal in the loop.

Petrucci wasn't using a single open back cab with a C-90 speaker in those videos you liked...
No doubt! But...I'm not about to try and hide 5 4x12 cabs in my house! Pretty sure the wife might catch on and wonder where all of our savings went. :lol:
I simply don't have much room for amps and cabs right now and there is almost no venue on Maui that I could unleash a 4x12 on. I used to play with 2 half stacks in stereo, but always found myself so crowded for space that I was basically standing in the mosh pit. At the time, I had this huge roadie that would stand in front of me while we were playing. He must have saved my life at least a dozen times.
:mrgreen: It did sound freaking huge though!!!! :mrgreen:

FWIW: I built the same high gain Marshall channel into my DC. It has the best controllable feedback out of any amp I have ever owned!
Maybe I should just get another DC and mod it the same way.

Maybe I should stop gassing and play my guitar!

I did find a Roadster 2x12 combo on Oahu for $1,300 though.......

Have you tried a Royal Atlantic yet? If you get a chance to try it, you might like it a lot. Comes in a 2x12 combo version. Has great cleans, and you can get a ton of gain saturation with the on board attenuator. Both lo and hi gain are just awesome. Sort of Marshall toned, but clearer to me. I tried it at a store, played on it for a long time. Couldn't turn it off. Used a JPX to and played the head through a Recto 4x12. Keep changing channels and finding new tones with the turn of the gain knob. Even at store volumes, I loved it, and I'm a Recto guy through and through. This thing rips, and if I had the funds, I would already have one on order. Just food for thought.

-AJH

I talked with babow2 about his RA100 combo.
He said that his Monsta-modded Heartbreaker is the one he's keeping and the RA is for sale. I forgot why he chose the HB over the RA though.

Man, someone is hard to please!! This is the trouble with being an amp tech and a guitarist, you've become a snooty chef. That's ok though, I'm seriously picky as well!

If you want an non-pissy amp, an Electra Dyne is about the furthest thing from a Mark V. A 27" 1 x 12 combo with a c90 should have enough horsepower for anything you might play. You'd need a boost pedal like the BB Pre (or maybe some mods) to get those searing leads though...
Still, I just don't know if you'd like this. The Mark V seems like everything you want minus the tweaking, and something tells me there has not been a perfect amp ever made.

Tweaking with the Mark V isn't as bad as previous Marks. The pot tapers have larger sweet spots and there's no shared pots between channels to force compromises.

Like any versatile amp it can be a pain in the *** to find "your sound" unless you happen to luck into the right settings on your first or second time out... but other than that once you figure out what you like it's pretty simple to dial that in again and again. I have my settings memorized, but I use my iPhone to take photos of EQ settings so I have a record of what settings worked in what situation.

screamingdaisy said:
Tweaking with the Mark V isn't as bad as previous Marks. The pot tapers have larger sweet spots and there's no shared pots between channels to force compromises.

Like any versatile amp it can be a pain in the *** to find "your sound" unless you happen to luck into the right settings on your first or second time out... but other than that once you figure out what you like it's pretty simple to dial that in again and again. I have my settings memorized, but I use my iPhone to take photos of EQ settings so I have a record of what settings worked in what situation.

Do you find that you play your Mark V more than your Roadster?

Monsta-Tone said:
Do you find that you play your Mark V more than your Roadster?

It's about equal. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I choose which one I use based on how I'm feeling on any particular day.

Back