Mesa Tremoverb vs. Road King Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaulguy32

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been wondering; how much do the Tremoverb and Road King differ in tone? Despite the Road King having 4 channels, and the Tremoverb having reverb and tremolo, what main tonal differences do they have? Since I'm going more for a more alternative sound, and sometimes add some reggae-like tones in there, I'd like to know. If there's anyone out there who's had both, that would be even better!

Tremo has more upper midrange then the roadking, but the roadking has more mid's then a dual rec, so i always say the RK sits in the middle of the two amps and is a great choice of an amp. Now understand I am talking about a RK1, I have never played an RK2

Thanks, man! I actually played a RKII a couple of months ago. It is such a great amp! I ask this because since the Tremoverb is discontinued, I have no ability to try one out. I do love the tone of the Tremo, judging from what some of my favorite artist's tone is.

I have owned both. Of course both are great amps.

The vintage and modern high gain on both amps are very close in my opinion.

The cleans are different. The RKII has glassy cleans, tweed clean, Brit clean and raw clean. I like different types of clean. The Tverb has the best sweetest clean beakup I have ever heard. To me it is what a Marshall clean should be. It was hard to get a tight clean with no break up out of the Tverb for me though. I could clone the clean channel and get a tighter clean but it wasn't as sweet.

channel cloneing on tht Tverb is only cloning the power section of the amp. I think of of as early progressive linkage. (not a pre amp clone)

The Brit mode on the RKII is similar to the blues mode on the TVERB as they both cut thru the mix.
I currently use a Mark V and it suits me the best for my style. I may get another Tverb just for that sweet clean break up.

Hope this helps.

I think the above post says it best.

When he talks about that clean break up on the Tremoverb, a good example is if you listen to some Incubus Make Yourself album. Specifically the first song. You can hear it immediately. That tone is very hard to duplicate with any other amp.

Otherwise, you can get very similar tones out of both amps. If you want a crystal clean sound, I think you may better with the RK.

Thank you so much, guys! It's funny, as I'm a huge Incubus fan... Mike Einziger is one my favorite guitar players of all time. I may actually end up having both at some point... who knows! Anyways, thanks a lot, guys!

Well, I bought the Road King. It should take about 6-8 weeks for Mesa to make and deliver it. Cool. Now, it's time to look for a nice Tremoverb combo to go along with it. Thank you guys for your help.

Update - So, I've tried the Tremoverb. I now have had the Road King for two weeks. I love it! I adore it! Although, somewhere down the road, I will invest an a Tremoverb. I am a combo guy, so it may be tough, but I WILL do it. There are starting to be less and less Tremoverb combos up for sale lately, but I am almost 100% sure one will come up. I love the tones in both of these great amps... I just wonder why the Trem was discontinued...

lespaulguy32 said:
... I just wonder why the Trem was discontinued...
My opinion, I think MESA did away from "channel cloning" for extra 2 channel plus not just two but three modes on each channels. Then perhaps the tremolo did not catch on so they did away with that, thus the successor Road King (or Roadster).

I was just about to flip my T0V for a Road King. But when I tried a Road King, it didn't break new amp tone grounds per sa, more like more channel at your finger tip or rather foot (footswitchable). So I had to decide am I willing to pay much more for these extra features plus due away with the tremolo (Our band plays Creedence Clearwater Revival covers) or just keep my ToV.

Kept my Tov. Don't get me wrong, Road King is the "Swiss knife" of guitar amps!

As a Tremoverb owner I have a really stupid question, and of course I can try this when I get home 8 hours from now, but if someone knows the answer I would love to know so the waiting and anticipation will end.

O.K. here goes...

I have cloned in the past and made tamed my red channel by cloning it to orange. When I did this I only ever played it in high gain.

I never tried to get cleans out of it.

My question is if I clone red to orange and select blues instead of high gain will I get better cleans?

My guess is no, but hey it doesn't hurt to ask.

TremoJem said:
As a Tremoverb owner I have a really stupid question, and of course I can try this when I get home 8 hours from now, but if someone knows the answer I would love to know so the waiting and anticipation will end.

O.K. here goes...

I have cloned in the past and made tamed my red channel by cloning it to orange. When I did this I only ever played it in high gain.

I never tried to get cleans out of it.

My question is if I clone red to orange and select blues instead of high gain will I get better cleans?

My guess is no, but hey it doesn't hurt to ask.

Not sure, man... but I think that if you do, your cleans may be a bit more relaxed, if you know what I mean... :p

RR said:
lespaulguy32 said:
... I just wonder why the Trem was discontinued...
My opinion, I think MESA did away from "channel cloning" for extra 2 channel plus not just two but three modes on each channels. Then perhaps the tremolo did not catch on so they did away with that, thus the successor Road King (or Roadster).

I was just about to flip my T0V for a Road King. But when I tried a Road King, it didn't break new amp tone grounds per sa, more like more channel at your finger tip or rather foot (footswitchable). So I had to decide am I willing to pay much more for these extra features plus due away with the tremolo (Our band plays Creedence Clearwater Revival covers) or just keep my ToV.

Kept my Tov. Don't get me wrong, Road King is the "Swiss knife" of guitar amps!

Oh, yes it is! Though, now that the two-channel Dual Rectos are now Single Rectos, isn't it possible that less people would go after those, but more so the old two-channel Dual Rectos? I see way more people with old two-channel Duals than Singles...

stephen sawall said:
If I remember correctly they discontinued all of the 2 channel DR's at the same time.

It's funny... more people are buying them used now than they were when they were new! :p

TremoJem said:
I prefer the BLUES clean .... but really they are just different. Not one is better than the other.

stephen sawall said:
TremoJem said:
I prefer the BLUES clean .... but really they are just different. Not one is better than the other.

Yes. Also, we all have a different ear. Tone altogether is completely subjective.

Finally diggin' this whole thing out of the dust. Well, looks like I'm getting the Tremoverb next month, if things go as planned. First listing I see on eBay for a newer, decent condition combo, I'm goin' in! Wish me luck, fellas!

Nice used Tremo combo on GC Website for $900, I usually work with one of my local GC guys and he gives me free shipping or $12 dollar shipping and sometimes I can get him to knock some dollars off the price. Anyway it is item 109700489, has tan cloth instead of normal black, located in spokan washington.

siggy14 said:
Nice used Tremo combo on GC Website for $900, I usually work with one of my local GC guys and he gives me free shipping or $12 dollar shipping and sometimes I can get him to knock some dollars off the price. Anyway it is item 109700489, has tan cloth instead of normal black, located in spokan washington.

Definitely be considering that one... thanks, man!

Well, I've ordered the Tremoverb. Now, my rig will be awesome(er), and unnecessarily large. :p

Latest posts

Back