Power conditioners vs power regulators for no ground

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker44

Reaction score
I recently moved into an older home and I don't think the power outlets have a ground. I am getting a noise whenever I do not touch any metal on the guitar. When I touch the guitar it stops. I am sure it is a power issue as it is only noticable at home.
Which would serve me better a regulator or conditioner for my problem? I really don't want a rack unit.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Why don't you upgrade the outlet? You could buy a new circuit-breaker and then upgrade the other rooms over time.

If you are leazy, just take a wire and creat a ground for your rig, you don't need to put it into the wall plate, Just creat a contact with the metal body of the amp.

Attach the other end to something like a 12 inch nail and put it into the ground next to your window or attach the other end to any water pipe.

That will like you to the earth directly ! No major investment , just a wire!

Even a old jack can do!

Thanks for the tips. I'm currently renting the house so upgrading at my exspense won't happen. I may purchase it later though. I gather that a power condioner won't help with a no ground problem. I may have to try D2dark idea. very creative.

Remember, the ground terminal is a safety feature. It needs to be able to take fault current. A 12" nail in dirt will not do that. The water pipe thing may work, but only if all your pipes are metal. Most homes have plastic pipes in at least part of the house.

Many states have a code for ground stakes that are 4' to 6' into the ground near the house. You can get a nice copper stake for this at almost any hardware store. They are most often used for grounding satellite TV runs where they go into the house for lightning protection. Run at least 12 gauge from that to your outlet. I'd go that route.

Both regulators and conditioners use the chassis ground as part of their conditioning scheme. They may still help with the noise, but again, will need the GND for fault protection.

It is not necessarily the lack of GND that is your problem, BTW. It may be that you are getting appliance noise into your power line, or that the wiring into the electrical box is poor or incorrect. The missing chassis GND is more of an issue if you have ground loops from connecting multiple AC-powered boxes, like a rack effect or AC-powered pedal to your amp.

Tucker44 said:
I'm currently renting the house so upgrading at my exspense won't happen.

Correct. It is the property owner's (landlord) responsibility to make sure the house is up to the current electrical codes in your area.

I believe that a properly gounded electrical outlet is a National Code and is required in all 50 US States.

Just sayn' .........

Dom

Back