Renaming Mesa's cabs...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
So, with the demise of the Stiletto I'm assuming they're going to rename the Recto Traditional cab yet again. This has me thinking....

The thing I didn't like about them switching to the Recto (formerly Recto Std) and Stiletto (formerly Recto Traditional) designations is that it told people what cabs they should be using with which amps. The flaw in this is that tone is subjective and a lot of people prefer to match their Recto/Stiletto with the opposite cab. In a world where people don't think very hard for themselves, it makes me wonder how many people didn't try the other cab simply because it had the wrong name....?

Now, considering that the ED and RA already have their own cab lines, I'm kind of thinking that Mesa's going to rename the Stiletto cab the Mark 4x12... or something like that. Despite the fact that a lot of people prefer the Recto 4x12 with their Mark amp. Again, if they do this I wonder how many people will buy the "Mark" cab simply because it has the correct name without ever trying or considering the "Recto" cab.

Long story short, I think they should either go back to Recto Standard/Recto Traditional designations... or simply call them Mesa Standard/Mesa Traditional cabs... and leave it up to someone ears to decide which cab mates best with their particular amp.

Edit: The risk of the latter idea is confusing the marketplace by removing the "Recto" designation on their most famous and popular series of cabs. Might be better to either use the first idea (go back to Recto Std/Trad), or maybe consider Mesa Recto 4x12/Mesa Traditional 4x12.

'Rectocab' sounds awesome!

I just found out that they were changing the trim on the 27" Electra Dyne extension cab and calling it the Royal Atlantic extension cab now. This almost cost me an additional $150!!!

Personally, I agree with your logic in regards to the two sizes of 4 x 12s. If I needed a 4 x 12, hands down I'd run the 'Stiletto 4 x 12' with whatever head I was using. A more neutral name would definitely assist guitarists since it does not cause for any sort of bias.

Marshall's cab names make way more sense but they're SUPER BOOORING!

YellowJacket said:
A more neutral name would definitely assist guitarists since it does not cause for any sort of bias.

Particularly when either cab would suit any of their new series of amps.

It would be cool if they produced either of the Std/Trad 4x12s in any of the stock trims with no upcharge (i.e., someone could order a Recto 4x12 in RA colours at no extra cost).

Wait, why is everyone saying the stilettos are being discontinued? Theyre still listen on the MB site and last I checked Sweetwater still sells them........

And that way the TS is describing it,

Traditional should be the recto cab

And standard should be the stiletto cab?

I think they should just pick maybe like 10 different cab designs, discontinue everything else and make cosmetic changes where needed to suit each line of amps if that makes sense

Because right now especially in the 1x12 and 2x12 cabs there seems to me atleast that there are alot of cabs but alot of them are similar to another cab with mainly cosmetc differences. Best example I know is thw roadster 2x12 vs the stiletto 2x12. The only difference is whats visible on te front which has a small impact on both tone and looks, so just get rid of one.

It would also make production for the cabinets easier, fewer desgins to make

Seanthesheep said:
And that way the TS is describing it,

Traditional should be the recto cab

And standard should be the stiletto cab?

Prior to 2004 the Recto Standard was the oversized one and the Recto Traditional was the smaller, more traditionally sized one. In 2004 they renamed the Traditional 4x12 to the Stiletto 4x12 and the Recto Standard 4x12 became the Recto 4x12.

YellowJacket said:
Marshall's cab names make way more sense
You think? The "19xx" numbers have never made any sense to me - especially as some of them are close enough to years to be very confusing for anyone who doesn't know they're just catalog numbers.... and ones originally assigned by Rose-Morris too, not Marshall.

I totally agree that the Mesa cab names are stupid too, especially when they have to change the name for basically the same cab when they change amp series.

I don't see why they can't just call them "Standard 4-12", "Oversize 4-12", "Standard 2-12", "Compact 2-12" etc. Then maybe add "V" or "C" depending on what speakers they have. (V, G or T for Marshall.)

94Tremoverb said:
YellowJacket said:
Marshall's cab names make way more sense
You think? The "19xx" numbers have never made any sense to me - especially as some of them are close enough to years to be very confusing for anyone who doesn't know they're just catalog numbers.... and ones originally assigned by Rose-Morris too, not Marshall.
+1. Never made sense to me either.

elvis said:
Or a 4x15 tuned for guitar?
Marshall actually made those.

Well OK, they were intended for bass! But since they sound crap for bass and good for guitar, I think they should still count :).

Back