6v6's in Heartbreaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy_G

Reaction score
Mesa EL34's don't quite have the "cut" and mids required to get forward in a full band mix. I love their breakup and they suit the heartbreaker very well. With Greenback-ish speaker, things sound just like the pro's. To get the cut that I need, I run a Boss eq.

This said, I've been curious about 6v6's. They are probably a better match power wise for this amp, with the half power and full power switch.

Which 6v6 brand would you recommend. I'm really pushing power tubes with my setup. I'm looking for something that can really stand out in the mix and that sounds EL34 ish.

I've to a MonstatTone modded HB head, with the JCM800 lust channel and improved/blackfaced love channel. So, it isn't stock. Also, I am running through either a Recto horizontal 2x12 with V30's or an old 80's vertical half back 2x12 (MC90/EVM12L).

That said, I am running 6V6's right now- JJ's. I have had Mesa EL34's in it for the past 2 years. It really rocks the EL-34's with the mods I have. The 6V6's drop it down to 40 watts at full power (have to use Tweed mode with 6V6's). I find the 6V6's sound rounder with more smooth mids, more in the family tree of 6L6's and a little more vintage-y. They clip a little sooner and have a little more edge than the 6L6. But, to my ears with my amp, they aren't as tight or focused as EL34's and they don't punch through the mix as much as EL34's. Again, my amp is not stock, so we may not have a fair comparison.

In my "jazz"/french/euro pop band, the 6V6's are really nice. With my main rock band, I'd take EL34's hands down to cut through the mix with a double keyboard player.

So, my application and amp may be different than yours, but with what I have, 6V6's wouldn't get you what you wanted compared to the EL34.

That's just one man's experience with his gear.

From what I've read, the JJ's 6v6's are more 6L6-ish and the Tungsols are more EL34-ish, and your review is consistent with the JJ-side. Are you able to get some country spank and sizzle on the Love Channel Low Gain? That's probably as important to me or more as getting a good Fogerty tone on the Lust Channel.

BTW, I'm running Mesa EL34's right now and I have have wet dreams about the amp now. I really didn't dig it with 6L6's like I do with EL34's. Despite being a high gain guy all my life, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this amp clean with the power tubes cooking. Its probably a little smoother than I would like, probably because of the 12AY7 I've got as the PI. That really seems to smooth my amps out.

What are you running for V3 and V4? My mids aren't quite as forward as I'd like - a little tough cutting through the mix even with EL34's. I'm maybe going to give the Groove Tube Mullards a try.

i'd be interested in a review on your two cabinets, too!

Hey, nice email. I am going to make an admission up front- I am not a tube junkie, especially pre-amp tubes. I live in Petaluma, and have a professional and personal relationship with the guys at Mesa. They tend to keep me in tubes, and I run stock Mesa pre-amp and rectifier tubes. I do play around with power tubes though.

Again, my HB is modded, so my tones and gain are much different than yours. I can get some decent clip/sizzle in Love low gain but that isn't where I live. I either use Love for fender/high headroom cleans or on the hi-gain Mk1 setting. My amp absolutely nails Mk 1 tones. I use Lust low-gain to get a more Vox-y chimey british clip overdrive, as this particular mod really shines there.

As to the two cabs- I picked up the Recto 2x12 specifically for this amp, hoping to get a tighter attack and more present, in your face, feel. It definitely delivered there and I was totally digging the tones, even though I am not usually a V30 lover. This cab was recommended to me by a good friend/Mesa Artist/studio engineer, who also doesn't usually use V30's but feels this particular cab sounds really good. So, the Recto definitely could help you with more mid focus, tighter attack and cutting through the mix. I just picked up the old vert halfback 2x12 (MC90 on top, EVM12L on bottom) for a song, as I have the matching 4x12 version for my Mk V and wanted something a little smaller. I immediately noticed how much more musical and rich it was compared to the Recto. While not as tight, the low end is more balanced, richer, and thumpier. It seems more 3-dimensional and sonically more complex than the Recto. It is more pleasant to my ears, even though I was digging the Recto. If I were using it in a rock situation, and needed to cut through a mix with a second guitarist, I'd go with the Recto. If I was using it in a more open, loose perhaps jazzy or fusion type setting, or where I wasn't constantly competing with another guitar of keyboards for sonic space, I'd go with the halfback, as the tone is more soulful and balanced.

Now, I can update this when my Royal Atlantic arrives......... and which will force me to sell the HB! If you know anyone who might want an awesome HB head, modded by our very own Andy/ Monsta-Tone, throw them my way.
Brent

Thanks Kevin. PM Sent.

Question around the Mk1 sound. Got some settings I should try. I get something out of the Hi/Boost Love channel, but it just doesn't quite strike me as what I have heard of MK1's. You running a TS or other pedals in front. I even have a Yammy guitar, so I should have Santana oozing out of my rig.

Back