Trem-o-verb or Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzblaster

Reaction score
I love reverb, which have the best reverb?

Which is better for stoner rock distorsion?

i was about to buy a mark V but now i can score a trem-o-verb for a good price. I know both are different animal.

id like to know the Pro's and con's of the t-verb

THX

If you have an opportunity to get a Trem-o-verb then GET IT!

Mark V will always be around. Maybe its easy for me to say that since I live here in the West Coast and the two adjacent towns near me have MESA Authorized dealers.

Anyway, most everyone who owned or still owns a ToV will marvel how great it is. Then there's always the 2 Ch. -vs- 3 Ch Dual Rectifier debate. Many prefer 2 Ch version. The ToV is basically a 2-Ch DR but I think it has an extra mode[? not sure] but it has all the hi-gain saturation of DR but has all the in-between preamp gain stuff too.

It has "Channel Cloning" so if you your two favorite mode setting are in the Orange Channel (or Red Channel) you could clone it so you now can footswitch between the two. Of course MESA Road King did away with the cloning and added all kinds of Bells & Whistles ... but no tremolo. :?:

Then of course tremolo, if you play Creedence Clearwater Revival covers tremolo is a must.

If T0V is not your cup of tea I'm pretty sure you could a decent price for it, I would think.

I think the TOV will get you more of a stoner rock sound than the Mark V, which is more in the metal realm I think.

You'll dig the T-Verb. It was my favorite out of the Rectifier series by far. Rhythms can crush but the lead tone is to die for. Good score man.

You can get many different flavors of stoner rock out of the FIVE. It's much more versatile.

That said i've only owned one single recto, and I wasn't ever a fan. People do love their tremoverbs though so if you can try it out take the time.

Edit. I forgot to say I like the Mark V's reverb better than my t.c. electronics gforce. It's very warm and it doesn't seem to 'sit on top of the tone' if that makes any sense to you. It's a far better reverb than my Mark IV's.

jazzblaster said:
just got my tverb today,

and man thats a keeper :lol:

serial R-008650
Uh, did you know a lot of ToVerb mystique tone comes from the protective aluminum bar in back of the chassis. :lol:

I sold my Tremoverb tonight and bought a Mark V. To me there's no comparison - Mark V all the way. Much more versatile, tighter and sounds infinitely better at lower volumes. My Tremoverb was all but useless at bedroom levels. With that said, Stoner rock like Kyuss? I'd think a big muff or any farty distortion pedal in either amps clean channel would work. They both have tons of headroom for that sound.

To each their own when it comes to guitar tone!

I really think it is just a case of apples vs oranges. As I recall, the Tremoverb is a particularly great iteration of the Dual Rectifier but it definitely has that 'recto' sound to it. The Mark series amps are so much more precise and articulate. The lead tones are particularly awesome!

YellowJacket said:
To each their own when it comes to guitar tone!

I really think it is just a case of apples vs oranges. As I recall, the Tremoverb is a particularly great iteration of the Dual Rectifier but it definitely has that 'recto' sound to it. The Mark series amps are so much more precise and articulate. The lead tones are particularly awesome!

+1

I have two Tremoverbs and have long debated with myself about the Mark V.

I really need to go to the local shop and take one of them with me and set up in a room with a Mark V, Road King II, and a Roadster.

I have made many adjustments to the tone by adding EQ, using my GMajor, in the FXLoop, and by adding a little gain and EQ to the front of the amps using the Radial Tonebone SwitchBone.

This has dramatically improved my tone, sustain, tracking, (less mud, more articulation) and harmonics.

So now I have to bring my whole rig to the local shop...geez, or maybe not, as I love these amps.

I big part of me does not want to surrender the stereo/parallel rig, but I can't afford to just add a Mark V or any amp for that matter.

So this means selling the Tremoverbs and using a mono rig, which if you have ever used stereo/parallel, is almost unthinkable.

I also loaded each one with different SED =C= power tubes (6L6 & EL34) and they are very unique from one another with regards to overall tone, and I know alot of very reputable contributors have said that there might not be that much of a difference and I totally respect them, but to my ears it is huge, and maybe that is because of I spock mind meld or something, I don't know, but for me there is huge tone difference between these two identical combos when using the different tubes.

Using them together with the different tubes just makes for an amazing wall of tone.

Another thing that has really helped me to realize the potential of these beasts is adding a Marshall 1960B 4x12.

The combos lack punch and authority with regards to tight articulation or tracking, as they are open back and the 4x12 cures this problem.

Lastly, turn it up. You must let the horses run and move the paper on those **** speakers.

I have never been a fan of loud playing volumes, but I did it, do it and love it now.

The difference in tone is as night is to day.

I am not saying to play at stadium volume where the size of the stage places your closest cabinet 50 to 75 feet from you, but do crank it up, as the tubes and speakers react to that and I can't stress enough how this affects your tone and playing ability.

Hell, it has made me a better guitarist both in technique and creativity.

Just my .02 cents.

Sorry I could not speak to the Mark V and although I love my amps I would really like to compare the amps I mentioned earlier.

Oh, and lastly...alot of posts claim that the rectifier series is great for rhythm and horrible for leads.

In my experience over the last six years with my Tremoverbs, I have always loved the lead and tone capabilities of these amps.

In fact, it was not until joining this forum a year ago, that I even knew they were considered dark and in some peoples opinions not worthy of lead tone use.

Different people post varying opinions and facts that intrigue us & motivate our actions, as we are hungry for information.

12 years ago, I went into a local shop and played every amp they had, which included all the favorites, Vox, Soldano, Orange, etc. all high end boutique stuff.

I plugged into the Tremoverb and inside of five minutes I was sold.

It was not until 6 years later I bought two used ones.

As is, live playing and recordings were amazing...to me.

But then I found this forum and used all the useful information to improve on what I thought was already perfect and I have never looked back.

Hell, I am still tweaking, maybe because my playing has changed and my ear has changed. I roll tubes, eq, etc. in an effort to improve my tone. Hell, I am now working on speakers...Celestion G12s, V30s, X patterns etc. for my 4x12 and am thinking of getting a second 4x12 and investigating buffers for my FXLoop, as my pedal board already has a buffer in the beginning of the chain and at the end, just as luck would have it.

BUT! Now that I have improved on the tone and removed the dark tonal tendencies of the amps, it is even better and I thank Chris Mckinley for that. Just search my posts and you will find the conversations.

I am really sorry for the rambling and hope that I was able to help.

I really should not be on a forum at 6:20 a.m. in the morning on a caffeine high...I ramble, sorry.

It really is an each to their own thing. (Although there are certainly people who like both.)

Me, I've never got on with any Mark series Boogie I've ever played, and I only owned one very briefly, which was an extremely frustrating experience. I thought I just hated Mesa/Boogies, and so it took me years to get around to trying a Rectifier. When I finally did I was totally blown away. The Tremoverb is basically the sound I've had in my head since I started playing guitar. I've also liked the Maverick and Blue Angel, and even some of the Dual Caliber series. (But not the original Calibers.)

Mesa and Boogie are not the same thing *at all*, despite being the same company. I've never played a MkV, but I still hate Boogies so I'm not in a huge hurry :).

Back