Importing Mark V US into UK

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genome

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here, shout at me if I'm breaking the rules.

I've bought a US Mark V head to be used here in the UK. I've already done a fair bit of research on this, but there's a couple of things I'd like to ask.

1) - If using a step down transformer, is a 1000va enough for the amp. A 120v Mark V draws about 480w if my calculations are correct. And can anyone recommend a reliable make/company who supplies them?

2) - Will there be any issues in the mains frequency difference (50 v. 60z) when using the step down with regards to reliability and risk of overheating when the amp is cranked?

3) - I've been quoted about £400-500 to get the Mark V a 240v transformer fitted, eliminating the need for a step down. Is this reasonable and/or worth it in the long run, in your opinion?

All said and done I will still be saving a few hundred than buying an export Mesa, which is great. I just want to do it right!

Cheers,
genome

genome said:
Hi guys, new here, shout at me if I'm breaking the rules.
3) - I've been quoted about £400-500 to get the Mark V a 240v transformer fitted, eliminating the need for a step down. Is this reasonable and/or worth it in the long run, in your opinion?

All said and done I will still be saving a few hundred than buying an export Mesa, which is great. I just want to do it right!

Cheers,
genome

I'm willing to bet you that you can get that transformer from Mesa direct and save more $$/££. I think the decision to swap it out is personal from the standpoint of ... 'when do you foresee that you will need to swap the transformer back?'... Are you going to be in the UK for the next 3+ years, then I think its worth doing.

I'm not planning on moving, but you never know what might turn up. What are the risks involved in an internal mod?

I already have no warranty, but I was prepared for that. I'm worried about the resale value, and if a mod that isn't done right, would it affect the sound of the amp?

It shouldn't. its not a signal chain mod. The boards in the amp are designed with euro x-fmer contacts. It should be a simple for a qualified repair shop to remove one power transformer and replace it with another.

my express schematic has the export wiring diagram included. should be standard.

Replacing the transformer is £410 minus labour.

A 1kva step down is £200 max for an isolation transformer.

How does these look?

Auto transformer... cheap, british built, lighter option:
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/american_120v_voltage_converters/13-US1002.html

Isolation transformer, a lot heavier though, look difficult to carry around
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/enclosed_isolating_industrial_transformers/19-WM1110.html

Or a way more expensive option:
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/conditioning_balanced_power_supply/46-BPS1512.html

You don't need an isolation transformer, an auto is fine. You also don't strictly need 1KW, 500W is enough - although more doesn't hurt.

If you want a 240V transformer for the amp, you need to look at other sources than Mesa. They deliberately keep the prices high in order to discourage importing like this and protect the rip-off mark up that the UK distributor applies.

Latest posts

Back