What Is Your Favorite Mesa 212 Combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Bill

Reaction score
What Is Your Favorite Mesa 212 Combo?

From the late '50s until today, the 212 combo has been a really popular amp choice. So which Boogie is your favorite in the 212 combo format--and why?

Maverick, Heartbreaker, Nomad, DC-10, Trem-o-verb, F-Series, Express, Stiletto Ace, Royal TransAtlantic, Lonestar Classic, LS Special, Electra-Dyne...?

Definitely some Twin Reverb killers in there; but which ones do you get hot for?

Or..., if you think 212 combos are only for idiots with more brawn than brains, tell me why your 112 combo version is better. How many of you that use a 112 combo also pair it with an extension cab?

Bill

Tremoverb.

Because for me, it just sounds better than any other amp I've ever used. It's not a Twin Reverb killer because if you want a Twin Reverb sound then you want a Twin Reverb, and the Tremoverb does not exactly duplicate that sound. But it does have a great clean sound of its own that I *prefer* to a Twin. It's also extremely versatile and will at least get close to the general sound (if not the exact tone) of a huge number of other amps. And its basic tone is outstanding.

And yes it does weigh 100lbs. You get used to it. The good thing about it is that it has good wheels, side handles (don't even think about lifting it with the top handle, that's for steering it when it's on its wheels :)), and if you do have to lift it, the even weight distribution and smooth edges with no sticking-out knobs that dig into you in awkward places make it actually less of a bear to lift than a Twin.

I'll only use Heads. 1x12 in one hand. Head in the other.

I got into MB, probably due to gear lust from my younger years.

I don't really have a great answer. My favorite 'Boogie' is the Kittyhawk Quattro, who I came to understand that Boogie sued out of existence because they were "copying". Now THAT was a great sounding unit. My second choice would be the Mesa voicings on an ADA MP2.

Unfortunately, I really haven't yet found a 'real' Mesa that gives me enduring satisfaction. A cheap Fender Blues Deluxe would bring me more joy, I think.

Hollis said:
So what are you using now Tommy_G?

Studio Preamp into any kind of power amp you care to mention. Meh. Thats the Ch2C+ circuit. Clean Channel...Meh. That's ok, I have other gear, and I've outgrown 80's glam. No biggie. It may have had its day but i missed it.

An "Andrew Mod" Formula Preamp into the heartbreaker effects return....That sometimes makes me smile, if you have the tone controls set just exactly perfect. The clean is very warm and round and "Sweet" as it should be. Ch3 gives that ethereal swirl effect when everything is cooking. Ch2 is muddy and inarticulate. That preamp has potential, but didn't before the mod. Every person with a Formula who is fanatical about their tone and who knows how to hold a soldering iron did the Andrew Mod, because the bass (on the ld channels) flubbed sooooo bad that it was a virtually unusable piece of gear. Why do we need to do mods to the amps of a 40 year old company's products? Bias the F'ing preamp tubes right, already. Over the course of its life, I probably rotated 30 preamp tubes into that preamp to find a combination that improved the tone. And you wince everytime, because the tube sockets are mounted on a flimsy PCB that bends every time you pull or push. Do that 30 times, and tell me if you still own a functional Formula Preamp.
I think those units were pretty close to $1000 new. Ugh.

Mesa Nomad 100 Head, I sooo want to love that design. Its soooo close, yet sooo far. I just don't get it. Great sounding clean, with no feel. If you don't have Ch2 at super high gains (eg. 1:30+), its inarticulate - if you can say with a straight face that OTT gain even can be considered "articulate". If you have Ch3 any more than the signal just poking through (eg. cutoff), its tonal mush comes on pretty fast. No body=no tone. I'm convinced most of the problems are in the NFB loop. Note the big "mod" threads around that amp. It'll get there soon - if you want to take a $1300 head and turn it into a $500 modded head, or keep it the rest of your life as a boat anchor, or if by some miracle, modded Nomad amps start becoming the rage of every pro musician.

Mesa Heartbreaker. Love the platform. It sounds best as clean as you can make it on the preamp, and if you have power tubes that push nice. You can't use an MC90 with acceptable results, and that was stock - not enough character in a C90. The less gain, the more tone with that amp. So much for the brilliant idea of switching in an extra triode for high gain tones....With the exact right tubes in the preamp & power amp, and a non MC90 speaker, the Love Channel Lo Gain is pretty good impersonation of a high output Fender with aggressive lower mids. Its a stiff feeling twin. But it sounds acceptable. Lust Channel Lo Gain is acceptable, sometimes I like it better than Ch1 Lo, but you have to think of the 'british' Lust channel as stiff feeling Bassman, not Marshall, to get your head around it. The marketing doesn't live up to the reality. Overdrive some EL34's and you get o.k. Hi gain Brit tones, but the Love channel falls apart. Nomatter what you do to it tube or knob-wise, the Heartbreaker isn't sweet, because its too punchy in the low mids. It melts your face with sonic punch. You feel like you've OD'd on brain numb pills after you play that amp at the volumes you need to hit tone. I'm serious. The Physiological aspect of the tone will shorten your life. Its called the Heartbreaker, because it may just blow your heart apart. On the gain channels, it has to be cranked to about 10,000 dB so that the harmonics from everything vibrating in the room makes its dark tone disappear, and then at least you feel like you're in a pleasant sounding military situation, or an noisy industrial plant.

Ok, some of allvthat is an exaggeration exactly in contast to the over the top positive rhetoric Mesa uses in their product manuals and brochures.

The thing I like about Mesa is that they offer a lot of channel switching. Great concepts, poor tone, or at least very difficult to find the magic formula to hit paydirt. I've tried so hard, invested so much $ in Mesa stuff, and I'm still not there. Of course it's all 'vintage' stuff. You know, the *last* run before the new one.

I get very bitter about my Mesa stuff. I spend most of my playing time trying to figure out how to mod them, whether it be tubes, eq's, gain structure, or voicing.

Boogie Bill said:
Or..., if you think 212 combos are only for idiots with more brawn than brains, tell me why your 112 combo version is better. How many of you that use a 112 combo also pair it with an extension cab?

:lol: Yeah, I always thought Mesa had only one 212 combo, the Backbreaker.

Seriously, though, I've almost always owned at least one Mesa 112 combo, typically Mark series, currently a Mark V, and yes, I regulary pair it with a Thiele 112. (Or a 2x12 cab, or a 4x12 cab, but that's not what you asked.) Is it better than a 212? Hard to say, you can't buy a Mark V as a 212 combo. But even if you could, I wouldn't.
The 112 fits in my bedroom. A 212 wouldn't. I can lift the 112. I've carried it to the fifth floor. A friend once carried it to the sixth floor (elevator broken, under repair) while I carried the Thiele (and my other gear). No idea how that would've worked out with a 212 combo. :shock:

The bottom line is, any combo bigger & heavier than a Mesa 112 would be infeasible for me personally. 212 combos look impressive, though.

Must've been a good day.

Switched my Nomad tubes to Yellow, and the amp caught just enough power tube crunch to get Ch2 working nice. The amp is as loud as hell, but Ch2 is sounding much better on low gain settings. P...T....L....finally.

Heartbreaker sounded great on the Lust channel with the EL34's. The love channel gain was a bit washed out in the mix.

Tremoverb all the way.

Extremely versatile.

Loves pedals in front like the BB, RC etc.

Loves FXs in the series loop (must mod to series).

Loves extension cabs.

I love Tremoverb so much I bought a second one.

There's an awful lot of deep love for the tremoverb by guys that have them....I wish I would have tried one out when I had the chance. My thoughts were: Tremolo, what are we in the 60's...pass.

And now I am beginning to detest preamp gain, and loving power amp gain. So now I'm in the 60's.

Another vote for the HB.Such a great amp!All those tube/recto combinations did it for me.
Lone Star Classic was a close second when I was checking out amps,

I love my ol' Maverick. Insanely versitile amp. Seems to sound great no matter what you play. One of the few that will not break your back too! Mesa has make a bunch of great 2x12's so there is no ONE best.

Tremoverb all the way... I wish I could've tried one out... I love Incubus and Soundgarden... the tones Mike Einziger and Kim Thayil got out of those amps just rule. Well, I'm going for the Road King since I'm not much of a buyer of used items...

mesa009.jpg

Heartbreaker it does what I need . does it very well .

VERDICT:
Lone Star Classic 2x12.
MOTIVATION:
It cuts through the mix and sounds awesome in a band context, for funk, jazz, country, blues, and rock. It's clean channel is far superior than any other amp I have ever tried. It's chimey and warm character is just so sweet. I actually like this combo better as the combo without running an extension cab with it. I have played it in small clubs, pretty big theaters and large open air stages, and the sound is just unbelievably pleasing in all environments.

Owned a Mav since '04. Did a ton of research before settling on that model and it's been a real work horse. Previously I owned a Mk III (another great amp) which I ran through a '70's Marshall straight cab w/ g-30's. The Mav for me is pretty much a plug in & play amp, straight forward w/ the tone controls, and a nod to the vintage w/ it's tan covering. And yes, I can do everything from jazz to punk on that thing, no shortage of good cleans or dirty and everything in between. YMMV of course.

Norm

Back