Mesa not going to NAMM this year...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This doesn't make much sense, Mesa is one of the biggest high-end amp manufacturers out there. Unless they have nothing new to announce and figure, why bother.

I'm quite happy with Mesa's current lineup, not to mention their discontinued models; so I don't mind Mesa missing NAMM.

The owner of a local guitar store told me... no joke. Personally, I am bummed. The Mesa booth is like home at NAMM for me. I always spend a lot of time there and a couple other close G.A.S enablers. I will still stand in the corner of that hall and have a moment by myself. :(

Considering that the new Mini Recto got all the word of mouth they wanted and then some (actually leaked a bit early before they were properly ready, if I remember) on the net without going anywhere near NAMM, why would they really need to any more? This is the 21st Century. It's a nice day out for the public, but I can't imagine they need it to generate sales. Its not like the old days where they needed to show off the new products to the trade so the dealers would order some.

I'm not in the US so NAMM is not an option anyway, I'm in the UK, but I used to go to the London Guitar Show. To be honest a day of eating overpriced junk food in a hall where you literally can't hear yourself think, let alone what the gear sounds like, lost its attraction when it became possible to listen to any new equipment you want, and actually have a chance of hearing what it sounds like, on YouTube...

Sorry, maybe a little cynical, but true.

I agree, I don't think MESA uses NAMM for sales.

I remember Randall Smith in an interview discussing the Dual Rectifier, calling it an anti-Boogie amp and a different approach to the "Boogie" amp sound. Although very successful in sales he claimed it was probably two years too late being introduce to the market. But he said he will not put out a product until he is extremely comfortable. And I think even his "lunch pail" line of amps are a bit late to the market but like typical MESA amps has all the "bells & whistles". :D

NAMM is being RIDICULOUS with pricing- I think Boogie is WISE to spend that money elsewhere- website, demos, what have you- they dont need NAMM. I am pretty sure Gibson boycotted NAMM before as well....NAMMs loss.

Yep, unfortunately, NAMM exhibits at a convention center are "brick and mortar".
And we all know where that's going...

Laskyman said:
NAMM is being RIDICULOUS with pricing- I think Boogie is WISE to spend that money elsewhere- website, demos, what have you- they dont need NAMM. I am pretty sure Gibson boycotted NAMM before as well....NAMMs loss.

"Namm" is being Ridiculous with pricing.. I think you've got that backwards..........

NAMM needs Mesa more than Mesa needs NAMM. I say that as a person affiliated with GES. The current fees and regulations to build a booth and run it are ridiculous.

There were a few notable absences, Mesa being one of the bigger ones. Several people I spoke to at NAMM believe in about five years there will be little left of it. Blame the Internet, and (nothing political intended) the unions.

In addition to the record business, the internet killed product catalogs... the first sign, which bummed me out. If all the company is going to do at NAMM is demo their product and hand out product information, both can be handled on the internet efficiently and cheaply. Those of you that have attended NAMM in the past and come back to your hotel room with a bag full of new Mesa, PRS, Marshall, Gibson, Fender, etc. catalogs to take that first NAMM sanctioned dump... it's an experience. I will miss NAMM when it is gone.

Really wish I had read this board before going to NAMM. Not having Mesa there was a real let down. I really enjoyed talking to the amp designers last year and having folks like Andy Timmons around to chat with. A couple of Mesa folks did remind me that NAMM's booth construction prices were ridiculous, so I'm sure that was a factor. Of course Mesa could afford it, but it's like overpriced airport food; it just feels bad. Let's see what next year brings.

The basic purpose of NAMM to a manufacturer is to attract dealers to purchase your goods.

Mesa is particular about who sells their products, for the same reason BMW is particular about who deals their products:
(A) They want the best possible customer-facing team available
(B) They do NOT want to oversaturate a market with dealers so that they fight each other.

As it stands, I think there is already a line of dealers waiting to get a Mesa dealership.

I would venture to bet that this, along with the exorbitant cost of space at the Anaheim Convention Center, is why Mesa has stopped showing up.

Latest posts

Back