New 1*12 Cab Advice...Newbie to Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceantracks

Reaction score
I'm going to start recording live amps at home, and I'm looking for a good speaker bottom that will work well with various heads. One of the first heads I'll get will be the new Mini Rectifier, but I also do country, pop, etc, so will be using other low wattage heads with this speaker cab, which will be walled off in a closet with a mic in front of it.

I'm looking at the 1*12 Wide Body Mesa Cab, and also 1*12 Theile cab, and I don't know what the advantages to either would be.

I play a PRS, but will also be using a Strat with this. I'm looking for the most versatile bottom for my particular situation.

Thanks!
Tom

don't overlook the 3/4 back 1-12 cab, which has an open, deep non-directional sound.

benjamin801 said:
Have you considered the Mini Recto 1x12 that it's supposed to be paired with?

Yes I have, but as I said, the mini is not the only head I'd be wanting to use, I'm looking for something that will do many styles well.

58boogie said:
don't overlook the 3/4 back 1-12 cab, which has an open, deep non-directional sound.

I agree with this suggestion. Wide design and pretty versatile. I have a Thiele with a EVM and though I like it for a lot of applications I prefer pairing it with an open back cab when doing country. You may feel different though. Thiele is not as wide as the 3/4 back.

oceantracks said:
Yes I have, but as I said, the mini is not the only head I'd be wanting to use, I'm looking for something that will do many styles well.

I use one of the old open-back, narrow 1x12s with the EV (see sig for picture), and it sounds great clean or dirty. It probably wouldn't handle super-detuned chunk, but it handles metal in E or drop-D just fine, and if you're playing djent on an 8-string, you probably aren't a 1x12 type guy anyway. :mrgreen:

And they're available around $250 used.

Back