Using a Mark V live direct to the mixing board?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner

Reaction score
The Mark IV had a recording out jack that my friend used to go direct to the mixing board instead of micing the amp's speaker. I thought it sounded great. I have a Mark V and love the amp. Unfortunately, I am in a situation where we cannot have any stage volume, it's all direct to the board. I have considered putting the amp in a back room off the stage or using an isolation box but I would rather not do that if there were another alternative, like a box that could be used similar to the Mark IV recording out. I'm sick of going a gig where I can crank the Mark V up on stage and then go to my POD X3 Live at the no stage volume gig. Is there anything out there? I would hate to spend a bunch more money for the Dual Rec Pre Amp.

actually in order for this to sound somewhat decent you will need some sort of speaker simulation though, perhaps go for a dummy load with speaker sim out or something? i know there are a few around

ya, you'll need some sort of speaker simulation and a load box. i personally dont have any experience with these, but ive heard great things about the Palmer speaker simulators, which double as a speaker simulator and a load box. you plug your speaker output into the Palmer, and the line out of the palmer into the FOH. it also has a "thru" jack so if you decide all of a sudden that you want to use an actual cab with it, you just plug it in.

http://www.palmergear.com/pga04.shtml

I'm trying to do something similar, with a Pod X3 Live except into a recording console (roughly the same thing). I'm not concerned with silent recording.

Soooo...Could I go from the slave of my Mark V, with the speakers plugged in to combat any load problems, and straight into the "guitar in" on the Pod with cab simulation, or am I going to blow the friggin' Pod up by doing this? Ha!

It all depends on your budget and space constraints.

I would be weary of the Palmer units, as they have given some forum members some trouble (over in the rack area.) As previously mentioned, you'll need a load box and a speaker simulator. The up and coming popular company, from what I've seen, is two notes. They make a pedal sized speaker simulator (using impulse responses) that allows you to change the cab simulations on the fly. Traditional speaker simulators use a set of fixed values to reproduce a few sounds, whereas with IRs, you can reproduce any cabinet you can get ahold of. Two notes also makes a rack mount load box with the speaker simulator inside.
I have personally thought about getting a load box, then connecting the line out of the amp or attenuator to a torpedo cab. To me, that prevents the speaker simulation from being tied up in the attenuator, and allows the attenuator to dissipate the watts.

FWIW, Alex Lifeson used palmers live, so they must be pretty solid, but at almost 700 for the pdi03, that's about the same cost as a hot plate and torpedo cab.....

Back