Help Changing Speaker in Thiele Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krcassid

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the V30 that came in a used Thiele cab w/ an EVM-12L. I can't figure out how to get the old speaker out! I've taken off the grille and undone the 4 screws attaching the speaker to the front baffle. It wouldn't budge. So, I took off the back only to realize that there are several baffles in the cab. I've removed every screw I can find (except corner protectors). That baby is in there to stay! I'm thinking that the speaker is screwed from behind into the front baffle but I can't get to it.

Any hints how one removes a speaker from a Thiele cab?

Thx!

There should be a foam/rubber gasket between the speaker basket and the baffle board. Sometimes the speaker can seal to the gasket and all you need to do is break the seal.

To break the seal, stick a flathead screwdriver under the edge of the speaker basket and pry it up. Try to avoid damaging the gasket as you'll probably want to reuse it at some point, just ensure you pry it gently in the event that someone glued the speaker in place as you don't want to bend the basket.

If the basket is glued in place you can use fishing line to cut through it. Stretch out a length of it, wind some up in each hand to act as a handle, then work it back and forth in a sawing motion.

Thx! It was in there so good that standing on it from the back (I weigh 250) didn't budge it. I finally got it out with a Stanley pry bar. It was stuck in there with an adhesive seal/ gasket of some kind that was as tough as glue but not prone to cutting. It looks like this was done by Mesa as it looked like a perfect install (no signs of previous removal). Celestion Vintage Series G12H 30w 70th Anniversary edition.

Does this differ in any way to standard V30?

krcassid said:
Celestion Vintage Series G12H 30w 70th Anniversary edition.

Does this differ in any way to standard V30?

Totally different speaker with a completely different sound.

The V30 demo starts around 0:16 and the G12H demo starts at 1:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acguJjsgDg

Necro bump - i wanted to replace the C90 in my newer theile cab with a V30, as i just prefer V30s. Mine is the current model. Saw this thread and got a little worried - I know MEsa tends to have good seals in their cabs. I decided to give it a shot today. Turns out at least on the newer theile cabs, the speaker comes right out once you unscrew it. No adhesive to mess with. I just removed the front and back of the cab, then unscrewed the speaker and came out pretty easily.

Sounds great with the V30 by the way!

Latest posts

Back