Roadster vs. New Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I was about to pull the trigger on a Roadster when the new Dual Rectifier came out.

The new Dual Recto has much better cleans than the old and to my ear has better high gain riffing than the Roadster. Unfortunately I cannot play both in my own band setting so I would be taking a leap of faith either way.

I do own a Mark V also.

Has anyone played both? What are the Pro's and Con's of each one?

That's one thing I don't like about my roadster is the clean channel. I've tried everything to clean it up but I still get distortion from it. I need to find a mod to clean this up.

The Roadsters are very nice heads. They have more options and sounds in them than the new Duals have, with the fourth channel and the tweed and brit modes on the cleans. The voicing is a little more aggressive than the older 3 channel heads, but I think the new Duals are very aggressive as well. I was going to get the Roadster/Mark V heads as my new rig, but when I played the new Dual Rec alongside both the Roadster and Mk V, I chose to get the new Dual Rec because it suited the sound that I was
looking for better.

The new Dual Recs have a good clean, and the voicing of channels 2 and 3 are a little smoother than on the older 3 channels. I don't know for sure, but I would assume the re-voicing of these new heads were done after the circuitry of the Roadsters were completed, so, their sound might be more different now than it was before. When I played the Multi-watt dual alongside the Roadster, I liked overdriven sounds of ch2 and ch 3 on the Dual Rec better than the Roadster's CH3 and Ch4 when set up the same way. If you want a little more flexibility then I would say go for the Roadster. If you don't need all of the extra features, the new Dual Rec has some of the Roadster's options like Tube Tracking and 50/100 watt modes on each channel, and is even more flexible than the older heads were. Either one would be a nice addition to your arsenal, it's just a matter of preference and what you need as far as channels and sounds. On a side note, with Winter NAMM around the corner, I do wonder if a Roadster 2.0 is in the works with the re-voiced gain structure of the Reborn Rectos. That would be cool.

-AJH

Hendog said:
I was about to pull the trigger on a Roadster when the new Dual Rectifier came out.

The new Dual Recto has much better cleans than the old and to my ear has better high gain riffing than the Roadster. Unfortunately I cannot play both in my own band setting so I would be taking a leap of faith either way.

I do own a Mark V also.

Has anyone played both? What are the Pro's and Con's of each one?

The Dual is more aggressive sounding and while it is more versatile than ever I still find it to be more of a ROCK/METAL than anything (since it lacks reverb and has such an aggressive voicing). The new rectos also seem to be smoother sounding than the old duals yet still very aggressive. The cleans have more top end and ring out better than the older duals (more character).

The Roadster is darker sounding than the Dual and has a smoother/less aggressive/saggy Recto voice. The cleans of the Roadster are much smoother/not so in your face like the duals cleans.

IMO If you play ROCK/METAL/Occassional Blues the Dual Rect will do you just fine. If you need versatility and something that can do a wide variety of music you will want to go with the Roadster. Both undoubtedly great amps. It's just a matter of your personal needs and preferences in an amp.... :)

You know I much prefer the pushed mode on the duals over the britt mode on the roadsters, only thing is you will loose a clean channel with the dual if you use the pushed.

MesaENGR412 said:
The Roadsters are very nice heads. They have more options and sounds in them than the new Duals have, with the fourth channel and the tweed and brit modes on the cleans. The voicing is a little more aggressive than the older 3 channel heads, but I think the new Duals are very aggressive as well. I was going to get the Roadster/Mark V heads as my new rig, but when I played the new Dual Rec alongside both the Roadster and Mk V, I chose to get the new Dual Rec because it suited the sound that I was
looking for better.

The new Dual Recs have a good clean, and the voicing of channels 2 and 3 are a little smoother than on the older 3 channels. I don't know for sure, but I would assume the re-voicing of these new heads were done after the circuitry of the Roadsters were completed, so, their sound might be more different now than it was before. When I played the Multi-watt dual alongside the Roadster, I liked overdriven sounds of ch2 and ch 3 on the Dual Rec better than the Roadster's CH3 and Ch4 when set up the same way. If you want a little more flexibility then I would say go for the Roadster. If you don't need all of the extra features, the new Dual Rec has some of the Roadster's options like Tube Tracking and 50/100 watt modes on each channel, and is even more flexible than the older heads were. Either one would be a nice addition to your arsenal, it's just a matter of preference and what you need as far as channels and sounds. On a side note, with Winter NAMM around the corner, I do wonder if a Roadster 2.0 is in the works with the re-voiced gain structure of the Reborn Rectos. That would be cool.

-AJH

Resurrecting this topic form the grave!!

Any more thoughts?

I think reverb is a big plus on the Roadster.

Any more tonal observations? I'm between the two.

Get the Roadster.
It's everything the Reborn Recto is with reverb, a 4th channel, slightly less scooped voicing, and better cleans.

Back