How do I run 2 16 ohm cabs with my Triple Rectifier??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
On the back of Triple, I have 5 speaker connections: One 16 ohm, two 8 ohms and two 4 ohms. Can I run two 16 ohm 4x12's?? If so, how can I do it? My soundman said I could run them in the two 8 ohms because that will equal 16 ohms. Is he right???? Can I run two of them, and how? :?

your sound"guy" was an idiot. plug both 16 ohm cabs into the two 8 ohm jacks. when you paralell two speakers together, you get half the impedance of one, not double.
ex: two 8 ohm cabs would make 4, two 4 ohm cabs would make 2, and theres not many amps that can handle a 2 ohm load, so be careful!

I run mine in by coming out of one of the 8 ohm jacks into my top cab, then from the top cab down to the bottom one. It's safe to run the next step, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

vulture2600 said:
your sound"guy" was an idiot. plug both 16 ohm cabs into the two 8 ohm jacks. when you paralell two speakers together, you get half the impedance of one, not double.
ex: two 8 ohm cabs would make 4, two 4 ohm cabs would make 2, and theres not many amps that can handle a 2 ohm load, so be careful!

How was he an idiot....he said the exact same thing you just did.... :?

By plugging two 16ohm cabs into 8ohm parallel jacks you'll halve the impedance, which is what both of you just said.

With the marshall stereo cabs they have either 16 ohm ins or 4ohm ins when running in mono which is the best way to hook up a triple in this scenario ?

I may be buying a 2nd marshall in the next couple days and need to know which outs - ins to use.

thanks

Thanks everyone, that sure helps me out. I'm looking forward to pushing 2 cabs with my recto. I've only been pushing one 2x12 for the last 4 months, so this will be a big step up. Thanks again!! :D

vulture2600 said:
hook them both into the 8 ohm jacks on the t-rec and use the 16 ohm
jacks on the cabs

Another question about this...

Does this halve the volume/output from the amp or does it kinda double it since your running 2 cabs at the same power ?

I realize the wattage doesn't double but essentially the output or percieved output should no ?

mrdylan said:
Another question about this...

Does this halve the volume/output from the amp or does it kinda double it since your running 2 cabs at the same power ?

I realize the wattage doesn't double but essentially the output or percieved output should no ?

simple answer, you will be moving more air, so yes.

I have a solo 50 II (3 outs; 1 8ohm, 2 4ohm) and the manual shows how to hook 2 eight ohm cabs up by running one 8 ohm cab into one 4ohm output, and the other 8 ohm cab in to the other 4 ohm out put. So, I imagine this would relate to you running one 16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm out and the other 16 ohm cab into the other 8 ohm out - Like (if I'm understatnding right) the sound guy said.

I'd personally check the online manual for the connections, and if you cannot find them, call a tech.

Back