Traditional VS Standard Mesa Recto 4X12's ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traditional VS Standard Mesa Recto 4X12's

• Traditional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard (oversized)

• other ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrdylan

Reaction score
Traditional VS Standard Mesa Recto 4X12's

I am curious of what everyone thinks the differences are and which the majority here prefers please list your style as well.

please post even if you have not tried both and list what you like and think about the one you own (have owned)

Thanks

Dylan

I prefer the o/s cabs for their deeper bass response. Some people say they are loose or boomy, but I have not had any probs with them. I play very-hard rock/traditional metal, tuned no lower than Eb. For radically dropped tunings, 7-strings, or baritones, I agree the smaller cab would probably be tighter sounding.

between the two Id pick the traditional. The smaller cab does give it a tighter bass response regardless of your tuning, this is pretty important for people playing more modern metal and hardcore.

I actually dont even like the traditional sized one, because I frankly dont like vintage30 speakers by themselves for distortion. Mixed in with Gt75s (like a Bogner Uberschall cab) they sound amazing though.

With that said, these are my favorite cabs, which I find for metal go better with my recto than any mesa cab:

VHT fat bottom - the ultimate for metal

Marshall1960 - the original and still champ

Bogner Uberschall cab - see above

Genz Benz G-flex - super punchy

Well I have the option of going with a Marshall 1960B to go with my top for a nice price or put a little more cash out and try to get a Mesa I can get a couple right now for a decent price but they are also slants so I am trying to decide what to do here.

no soul said:
between the two Id pick the traditional. The smaller cab does give it a tighter bass response regardless of your tuning, this is pretty important for people playing more modern metal and hardcore.

I actually dont even like the traditional sized one, because I frankly dont like vintage30 speakers by themselves for distortion. Mixed in with Gt75s (like a Bogner Uberschall cab) they sound amazing though.

With that said, these are my favorite cabs, which I find for metal go better with my recto than any mesa cab:

VHT fat bottom - the ultimate for metal

Marshall1960 - the original and still champ

Bogner Uberschall cab - see above

Genz Benz G-flex - super punchy

There's definitely something to be said for Marshall cabs. I was fortunate enough to have been able to acquire a pair of them for a really nice price. For just a bit of spice, I have two V30's and two Greenbacks in each cabinet.

I've never had a chance to try the Mesa, VHT or G-flex cabs. But I've heard that Rivera's sub-woofer (Los Labottom?) is pretty cool.

redmax61 said:
There's definitely something to be said for Marshall cabs. I was fortunate enough to have been able to acquire a pair of them for a really nice price. For just a bit of spice, I have two V30's and two Greenbacks in each cabinet.

I've never had a chance to try the Mesa, VHT or G-flex cabs. But I've heard that Rivera's sub-woofer (Los Labottom?) is pretty cool.

Im not partial to subs, since most of my experience with them tells me they are either just going to give you a big thump (which is cool if you are actually on stage with it..) or mud, but I have heard neither is the case for the Rivera cab of which you speak. Rivera is just pretty **** expensive for what you get IMO, but I guess thats true of all the brands mentioned in this thread (maybe save marshall?)

i love my 1960A it does everything i need it too, no more, no less. but as no soul said, its the original and still champ. :) agreed

Back