6505+ VS Tremoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
Hey guys,
currently i have a 6505+ head and a mark IVA.
I've been gasing to try a Tremoverb for quite a while and now I may
have the opportunity to score one, but I'm wondering how much
different the gain structure will sound compared to the 6505+?
My Mark IV is not going anywhere I love that amp,
but I was wondering if the 6505+ and the Tremoverb
sound different enough to actually make it worth my while to go for it?
Any one here ever have the opportunity to run these 2 amps side by side
and compare them?
I primarily use the 6505+ with my 7 stringer's and when I need a somewhat "Marshally" type of tone.
thanks

The 6505 is as different from the Tremovevb as it is different from the IV. The 6505 and the Tremoverb are not very similar at all if you ask me. They are very different amps.

theroan said:
What are you hoping the tremoverb can offer that the 5150 cant?

Besides a akick *** high gain lead channel (which the 6505+ does really well) is maybe some versatility?
the clean on the "+" is definitely better thatn the straight 5150 but it still sucks compared to my mark IV or the Lonestar clean.
I think the "roadster" may actually be the amp that I'm looking for.
I love my Mark IV but sometimes I want a thicker meaner more agressive rhythm sound (which the 6505+ does )
and I miss not have some recto growl at my disposal when I want it.

Every time I play thru a roadster I fall in love with it. I've never played thru a Tremoverb

If you want the rectifer growl AND versatility, the Roadster is your amp...no question about that.

Eric

Ok, having owned both amps and owned a Roadster for a while I have this to say. If you are interested in the type of distortion that a 5150 or 6505 get, then a Roadster is definitely the way to go. The red channel on a Roadster is Dual Rec Bliss. The reason guys like myself left the Roadster or other Boogies are not for high gain issues. Roadsters are fantastic. I play Trem O Verbs because they give me options in the studio that Roadsters don't do as well that are not "metal" related. I can do what a Roadster does on my TOV, but not the other way around. The advantage to having a Roadster is the channels. Live you can't beat having 4 channels AND a solo boost. Thats a no-braniner and is the reason why I am getting one again for my live rig.

6505 and Dual Recs are completely different amps. They are both high gain amps, but they shouldn't be compared to each other in my opinion. 5150/6505 amps do the chug thing well. They are ridiculously scooped in the mids and have very abrasive highs in my opinion. They are as difficult to record on the high gain settings as any Recto set on the Red channel because of the amount of lows, highs and the LACK of mids. This makes an engineer's job very difficult. If you like to chug and dont do much else, a 6505 is less expensive and an option for a lot of players that do metal or rock. If you need your tube amp to do a lot more then just have a "good clean and dirty" then the Rectos are the way to go. They all do a lot of different things and are very versatile.

When you see Killswitch Engage, and the guitar players in P-Funk using the same amp, you know the thing can do a lot more then just clean and chug.

What does the TOV give that the Roadster doesn't?
oh and thanks for all of the info in your post.
I'm not much of a chugga chugga guy, I'm much more of a shredder (wannabe) I play a lot of lead
but I do play some 7 string stuff (nevermore, Dream theater etc) so there is that to take into consideration too.
I play a lot of fusiony stuff as well (Greg Howe, Kotzen,Govan). the 5150 II is useless for that type of playing. the Mark IV is great for that type of stuff.
I'm starting to wonder if I'd be happy just with a Roadster (do I need the IV as well)?
with a clean boost and an EQ in the loop I should be able to get a good singing lead tone similar to a IV yes? No? Can the TOV?
thanks for any input

vitor gracie said:
Ok, having owned both amps and owned a Roadster for a while I have this to say. If you are interested in the type of distortion that a 5150 or 6505 get, then a Roadster is definitely the way to go. The red channel on a Roadster is Dual Rec Bliss. The reason guys like myself left the Roadster or other Boogies are not for high gain issues. Roadsters are fantastic. I play Trem O Verbs because they give me options in the studio that Roadsters don't do as well that are not "metal" related. I can do what a Roadster does on my TOV, but not the other way around. The advantage to having a Roadster is the channels. Live you can't beat having 4 channels AND a solo boost. Thats a no-braniner and is the reason why I am getting one again for my live rig.

6505 and Dual Recs are completely different amps. They are both high gain amps, but they shouldn't be compared to each other in my opinion. 5150/6505 amps do the chug thing well. They are ridiculously scooped in the mids and have very abrasive highs in my opinion. They are as difficult to record on the high gain settings as any Recto set on the Red channel because of the amount of lows, highs and the LACK of mids. This makes an engineer's job very difficult. If you like to chug and dont do much else, a 6505 is less expensive and an option for a lot of players that do metal or rock. If you need your tube amp to do a lot more then just have a "good clean and dirty" then the Rectos are the way to go. They all do a lot of different things and are very versatile.

When you see Killswitch Engage, and the guitar players in P-Funk using the same amp, you know the thing can do a lot more then just clean and chug.

kmanick said:
I'm not much of a chugga chugga guy, I'm much more of a shredder (wannabe) I play a lot of lead
but I do play some 7 string stuff (nevermore, Dream theater etc) so there is that to take into consideration too.
I play a lot of fusiony stuff as well (Greg Howe, Kotzen,Govan). the 5150 II is useless for that type of playing. the Mark IV is great for that type of stuff.
I'm starting to wonder if I'd be happy just with a Roadster (do I need the IV as well)?
with a clean boost and an EQ in the loop I should be able to get a good singing lead tone similar to a IV yes? No? Can the TOV?
thanks for any input

!??!????

Why not simply get a mark IV or a mark V if that is what you need? Just sayin'

YellowJacket said:
kmanick said:
thanks for any input

!??!????

Why not simply get a mark IV or a mark V if that is what you need? Just sayin'

He has a Mark IV already

~Nep~

Yes I 've already got a mark IV.
I find myself hardly ever firing up the 5150 II anymore.
vitors statement " I can do what a Roadster does on my TOV, but not the other way around. "
is what I'm asking about here.

This is gonna be a long post. I hope it helps.

There are not many guys who have been TOV owners since when they where first released. I got mine new in the store in '96 and have had it as my main rig. I have only "not owned one" for 2 years. In that two years I got a Roadster.

Starting with the cleans.
The TOV's cleans sit at a higher range to my ears then the Roadster's. There are plenty of highs on the Roadster but I think they where going for more of a Lonestar "type" of clean. It's a "warmer" slightly rounded sound. The mid frequencies are what turned me off about the Roadster's clean channel and settings in that. It is in a lower range to my ears then the TOV's. It also scoops a lot of your sound out to me like an old Twin, where as the mid knob on the TOV is more tasty and yields to brighter cleans with more top end attack. I know that there is a bright cap on the TOV's cleans but it's the actual mid knob that turns me on. Lastly, the Roadster's clean channel has way too much low end for me. For work, my money is in the R&B type sounds. I do a lot of percussive stuff with my cleans. I get paid to get the sounds a strat gets but have to be able to switch mid-song to a rock tone like a Gibson. The TOV's clean sits perfectly in the mix with all my guitars. I have only had one guitar sound bad through it and it wasn't the amp, it was the pickups. I replaced them and it was fine. I just found myself turning knobs all the way off or up all the way on the Roadster to get out frequencies or boost what wasn't there, and with my TOV everything is almost all at 12'Oclock. The only thing I adjust is the treble with the different rooms.

On a side note about the Mark cleans, I have had great success using a producer's Mark IV in the studio for cleans. He liked my tones so much that he jammed on my guitar through his amp for 30 minutes after we tracked. It was really funny. It's as if he didn't realize his studio amp (the Mark IV) could sound like that. He had a Roadster there, a pre-500 Recto (he said it was like #107 or something...) a Mark III Colosseum, a studio .22, and the Mark IV. I didn't have my TOV so I used his Mark IV and loved the cleans.

Channel 2 on the Roadster.
Best channel! My favorite mode on the channel is the Brit mode. However, here again, I was turning the gain and mids up all the way to get more out of it and think thats not a good thing. Your amp should adjust to suit your needs accordingly. If you are turning stuff all the way up, when you need a little more it aint there. I ended up getting a one-off custom pedal in Nashville that effectively gives me what I was looking for in the Brit mode on channel 2 of the Roadster. Its a gain box that allows an adjustable amount of your clean to come through like what a Tube-screamer does but instead of the gain being smooth and rounded and warm, this one has more of a crispy high end thing going on like an old Marshall cranked up. It's clear and tight and has enough gain for me. I actually like it more then channel 2 of the Roadster and have used it effectively in the studio. It was pricey but worth it.

Chanel 3 and 4 are no-brainers. If someone where to say, "The Roadster is tighter then the old Dual Recs", or "Has more highs" or whatever...That is an easy thing to remedy with my TOV. Just turn the treble up a little, or move the mic closer to the cone. If people thing the opposite, "Roadsters have more low end" then I can just boost my lows a little. I try to keep it close to 12 O'clock when recording so I have room to get more or less on my TOV. The bottom line is it's a Recto. TOV's are gonna track close to Roadsters on the orange and red modes. I have no opinion on which is better for high gain in the studio. They all do well with my guitars including my seven string.

TOV's BLUES MODE! This is the big killer right here. This is the only amp that Mesa makes/made that has a sound like this. No Mark amp can do what this mode does. It's as if a Mark IIc+ and a Recto had a love child. I have tried all the older Mark amps, and all the Rectos except the brand new ones and nothing does what this can do. Recto's have notoriously scooped out mids even on the Orange mode. The Blues mode on the TOV acts like Mesa left all the big gooey mids in there, and gave you the squishy lows that older Mark amps are known for (Think Carlos Santana) but gave you more gain like a Recto. Lastly, the presence knob on this mode has a HUGE curve allowing you to go from a completely muffled tone to almost a piercing high end. It's REALLY responsive. It lets you get some modern high end in the sound to cut a little. Lonestars don't even come close to the way the gain is. It's my favorite sound in the amp. The problem with the blues mode is that it has so much frequency coming through that it's easy to make the tone really muddy. you can't really do anything percussive with it but it's perfect for lead lines and fills out your high notes beautifully. I can easily get modern fusion style leads and Santana type sounds with more gain on this mode. And that is what pays the bills for me. My dream Mesa amp would be the TOV's clean, Recto 2nd channel for high gain stuff with it switchable from Red to Orange (Vintage Hi-Gain) and Channel 3 would be just the Blues mode. I would die and go to heaven on a rig like that.

So that's my ranting and raving about a TOV doing what a Roadster can (in the studio) but not the other way around. I would just like to re-itterate my point about live usage being a no brainer if I had to pick. Roadster hands down. I would have to rack my brain a bit on my lead tone for this group I'm in currently, but 4 channels is no joke. I do use my TOV but I suppliment the sounds on the records of the artist with some boutique pedals. It works well enough. For my Rock/Metal stuff, I would choose a simple pedal free set up with just some delay in the loop and maybe a comp pedal for the cleans with a Roadster head. For me to use TOV's live on my stuff (which doesnt make me money yet) I would need two of them. That's a very difficult rig for live use. I tried it, it sucked. LOL! I would do a Roadster for my record (live) any day.

P.S. I am thinking of getting a CE FET Dream pedal. There are some great sound clips of it. Anyone have one? I also looked into an Ethos Overdrive and have one on order.

Hope all that helps.

94Tremoverb (the guy with that as his user name), feel free to chime in here.

Awesome post thanks for taking the time to write it up !!!
I guess I need to get my hands on a Tremoverb and give it a test drive.

If youre getting board with your 6505+ the sell and get something else. You can always get another one.

Then again the rectifier and the 5150 are both soldano knockoffs of the SLO preamp...with some minor differences. The mesa lets more signal back to the preamp in a way is flubbier (can tighten up if need be...) than the 5150.

I really don't get it. The 5150 is supposed to be a fairly mid heavy amp. Scooped? I don't know. I like it with the mids on full to be honest and pressence dialed down. The bass mid treble are after the distortion like the graphic eq is on the mark IV. More or less like a marshall.

ya, right now I'm on my 4th one :roll:
there is something about them I do like :p
and I don't find the 5150 II mid scooped at all, just the opposite
very mid heavy.

giorikas81 said:
I really don't get it. The 5150 is supposed to be a fairly mid heavy amp. Scooped? I don't know. I like it with the mids on full to be honest and pressence dialed down. The bass mid treble are after the distortion like the graphic eq is on the mark IV. More or less like a marshall.

Thats my point. I replaced my 5150 long ago with my TOV. If it was a mid-heavy amp, you wouldn't need to run your mids all the way up...which is exactly how I was running mine, and how the guy who bought it off me runs it to this day (Mark-Guitarist for Milwaukee art rock band "The Felix Culpa")

If you play a 5150 side by side with something like a Carvin Legacy, you can hear how scooped out it is. Now, Legacys are not the most mid-rangy amps, but certainly have more mids then a 5150 or the red channel on a Recto.

Needless to say, they are just my opinions on sound/amps. I am definitely not trying to start a debate. Just talking about my experience. I really enjoy the blues mode (my point of bringing up the whole scooped thing) because of the massive amount of mids but it makes doing rhythmic things very difficult on higher gain settings. On a positive note, the gain on that mode (speaking of the blues mode on a TOV) is structured in such a way that you can get a fantastic alternate clean sound and I have run it that way sometimes. It dials down beautifully.

Scooped or not, it's just my opinion. There are a slew of rock/metal/hardcore bands that use the 5150 line and record and make money. It's an awesome sounding amp for what it does.

Latest posts

Back