Slave Out ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedsticle

Reaction score
Just read through some old Guitar mag's and found the issue where they show Hammet's Rig....Basically I'd like to know what's going on at the Triaxis, Dual Rectifier part of the signal.

The Triaxis signal I get....It's just going out to a noise gate and then into the GCX Dual Line Mixer and out to the Mesa 400 amp.

The Rectifer is using the Slave out and then into the noise gate, and into the Line Mixer, and out to a Mesa 400. He has a speaker out going to a custom load box. Soooooooo......the slave out is bypassing the Power Amp section in a way?

What would have been the difference if he just used the output on the amp instead of the Slave Out?

tedsticle said:
The Rectifer is using the Slave out and then into the noise gate, and into the Line Mixer, and out to a Mesa 400. He has a speaker out going to a custom load box. Soooooooo......the slave out is bypassing the Power Amp section in a way?

What would have been the difference if he just used the output on the amp instead of the Slave Out?

That is the mildly updated version of the Van Halen I trick. Load on the speaker output, slave to a stereo power amp, many speakers driven. Slave out on a Boogie amp captures the preamp and power amp sound and presents it in a line level format. 8) Eddie's Marshall required a bit more trickery.

So a Power Amp sound is going to go through another Power Amp? I guess I'd have to hear and see it to really understand this...

From the IIC manual:

"The Slave Level control and Slave Output jack located on the rear panel of the amplifier give you a direct
output feed which faithfully captures the entire sound of the amp and preamp and can be regulated to
properly match anything from a mixing board to a power amp to another Boogie for a linked up
arrangement. Although a few mixing boards (mainly Yamaha) won't properly accept the Slave Output
signal and cause distortion, an absolutely noise free recording can be made with most other mixers. Set
the amp normally. Start with the Slave knob off. While playing, turn it up to provide sufficient signal for
your power amp or Line In on your mixer. Higher Slave settings and lower Master settings will result in
lower overall noise. Always run the Boogie with a speaker or load resistor (8 to 20 ohms, 50 watts) if you
are using the Slave Out. A Pre Amp Out-Pwr Amp In jack is located on the bottom of the chassis and
provides access to the junction of the preamp and the output power amp. With it, another Boogie can be
linked up (Slave Out of the first amp to Pwr Amp In of the second), or it can allow you to use the Boogie
as a preamp only."

So if my band has a pa, I can run slave out to one of the mixer channels so I can be heard through the house system via a hard line connection while still hearing myself through my amp's speaker almost like a monitor? If that's the case, how different is the sound from being miked? Is slave out like a DI box in that way?

BoogieDown said:
So if my band has a pa, I can run slave out to one of the mixer channels so I can be heard through the house system via a hard line connection while still hearing myself through my amp's speaker almost like a monitor? If that's the case, how different is the sound from being miked? Is slave out like a DI box in that way?

Similar to a DI box, except that you will get the same signal that your speaker is getting, except its line level, which means it's suitable for a mixer, etc. It should be nearly identical to your "actual sound", barring any colouration that your speaker adds to the sound. So yeah... plug it into the mixer!

I just did it right now, slaving my MKIV into my RK... sounds fuckin' insane. I've never done it before... COOL ****!

So you went Mark IV slave out-->RK Input.....and use a load box on the Mark IV and connected speakers to the RK?....

AHhHHHHHhhhh.....still confused!

tedsticle said:
So you went Mark IV slave out-->RK Input.....and use a load box on the Mark IV and connected speakers to the RK?....

Amp 1 Slave out > Amp 2 effects return. Both amps have speakers plugged in. I can dig up the EVH setup, but it might be a couple of days.

That would be cool.....This is something I'd have to see like I said before though. Hopefully I get to try it someday.

JOEY B. said:
tedsticle said:

Amp 1 Slave out > Amp 2 effects return. Both amps have speakers plugged in. I can dig up the EVH setup, but it might be a couple of days.

This is right. Both amps still have a load on them (in my case, speakers). It sounds confusing, but basically, think of it like this: one amp is passing it's signal to another amp. The 2nd amp, instead of deriving its signal from a guitar, is now deriving its signal from another amp.

If you wanted to ONLY hear the sound from the 2nd amp, you would need a load box on the first amp to eliminate any sound from it. Otherwise, as in my case where I have speakers plugged into both amps, you WILL hear both amps at once... but what's wrong with that? :twisted:

BoogieDown said:
What kind of cable should you use for amp slavery (lol), speaker or normal instrument?

Use normal instrument cable. The signal is a line-level signal (suitable for mixers, PAs, hand-held recorders, etc) and is a lower voltage signal than the one that passes through a speaker cable.

Here, I made a shitty little picture to illustrate the setup I'm using. Both amps have loads connected to them in the form of speakers.

Hopefully the notes in the image convey what is going on. It's really quite simple! Check it out:

slave.jpg

Really cool you guys. Thanks for that information both of you Joey B. and Mrd. I have a Hotplate, and 2:90 power amp, and 3 cabs, now I just need a working head :D My Marshall has been broke for quite awhile. If i fix my Marshall, I wonder what sound I could get with Gtr-->split to Triaxis and Marshall-->into GCX Dual stereo mix-->2:90. Put the Hotplate on the Marshall as my dummy load.

tedsticle said:
Really cool you guys. Thanks for that information both of you Joey B. and Mrd. I have a Hotplate, and 2:90 power amp, and 3 cabs, now I just need a working head :D My Marshall has been broke for quite awhile. If i fix my Marshall, I wonder what sound I could get with Gtr-->split to Triaxis and Marshall-->into GCX Dual stereo mix-->2:90. Put the Hotplate on the Marshall as my dummy load.

Rotary switch on the Hotplate to "LOAD" for the Marshall. Get ready for some serious knob turning and ear fatigue. 8)

Hey everyone just signed in. I know this an older forum but, when using my slave out to run a wet signal since my dual rectifier has a parallel effect loop ,I noticed that when using a load box on the mesa then slave out to a blue voodoo I lose a lot of tone vs when I use two cabs wet and dry. Just wondering why when I use a load box it effects my slave out.

Killerbz said:
Hey everyone just signed in. I know this an older forum but, when using my slave out to run a wet signal since my dual rectifier has a parallel effect loop ,I noticed that when using a load box on the mesa then slave out to a blue voodoo I lose a lot of tone vs when I use two cabs wet and dry. Just wondering why when I use a load box it effects my slave out.

I'm using a load box on my JP2C, then using the slave out to a 2:90 and dual 1x12s, i didn't notice any tone loss, it's been a while now, did you find the issue? did the head have a problem?

Latest posts

Back