RoadKing Settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are mine (off the top of my head)

Channel 1 > TWEED > 4x6L6 > Tube Recto Tracking
Gain : 12:00
Treb : 2:15
Mids : 10:00
Bass : 11:30
Pres : 11:30
Master : 1:00
Reverb : 10:30
Loop 1 : on - Boss Chorus
Loop 2 : off

Channel 2 > BRIT > 2xEL34 > Tube Recto Tracking
Gain : 3:00
Treb : 2:30
Mids : 12:00
Bass : 10:00
Pres : 9:30-10:30
Master : 11:30-12:00
Reverb : 11:30
Loop 1 : off

Channel 3 > VINTAGE > 4x6L6 > Tube Recto Tracking
Gain : 2:30-3:00
Treb : 1:00
Mids : 2:00
Bass : 9:00-10:00
Pres : 10:00
Master : 1:30-2:30
Reverb : 10:00-11:30
Loop 2 : on - Ernie Ball Vol Jr > Boss DD-5

Channel 4 > MODERN > 2x6L6+2xEL34 > Diode Rectification
Gain : 1:30
Treb : 1:30
Mids : 12:00
Bass : 11:30-12:00
Pres :10:30-11:15
Master : 11:00-12:00
Reverb : off

I don't own a RK right now (I'm close to making the purchase, but I'm not 100% certain yet). Regardless, I've spent countless hours messing with several different RKs in the past months. Your settings look very good.

CH1:
I especially like the addition of the Chorus effect on channel 1. That channel must really shimmer. I'm curious to see what your CH1 sounds like with "Clean" instead of "Tweed".

CH2:
Nice!

CH3:
Looks like a nice lead setup. I'm curiuos what it would sound like with a slightly lower presence (maybe 8:00 - 9:00).

CH4:
Get ready for some Metallica!!

What are your Master and Solo set at for personal indoor playing, and what are they set at for playing live?

Live
Master : 12:00
Solo : 12:30

Rehursals
Master : 11:30
Solo : 12:00

Not much different from our stage volume - we have a huge rehursal spot.

I like the bouncy/elastic feeling of the TWEED setting. I drop it down to 2x6L6's for recording though... this sounds AMAZING MAN! Though, its not ennuff kick for live.

Channel 3's Presence control is kinda high, I will mess with it some more and see how it sounds... keep in mind I have stock pickups in a Schecter (Duncan Design) so a little more helps for clarity where the pickups lack.

Channel 4 is going to be trying out the Master Class settings found on PetrucciForum.com and I will let you know what works out of those.

Rock on - Be sure to print out every setting you get from your sources and try them in a very quiet room. Be sure to crank it - this is not a practice amp. And ask the sales associate to bring a manual that you can read - it will help you understand how the amps EQ is setup and how it will react.

Got any other ?'s : email me @ [email protected]

I've owned my Road King for about 1 1/2 years and tweaked the everloving crap out of it in that time...here's what I've settled on this week :D :

Channel 1:
Fat, diode, 4 6L6's
Channel Volume maxed
Presence 1:00
Bass 11:00
Mids 11:00
Treble 2:00
Gain 11:30

Channel 2:
Brit, tube rectification, 2 EL34's
Channel Volume 12:00
Presence 2:00
Bass 12:00
Mids 12:00
Treble 2:00
Gain maxed

Channel 3:
Modern, Diode, 2 EL34's + 2 6L6's
Channel volume 9:00
Presence 12:00
Bass 9:00
Mids maxed
Treble off
Gain 2:00

Channel 4:
Raw, Tube, 2 EL34's
Channel Volume 11:00
Presence 3:00
Bass 12:00
Mids maxed
Treble off
Gain 3:00

Master Output is to taste...for live apps, it is set to noon, for practice it is set to about 9:00, 10:00.

I keep a Boss MIJ (circa 1983) GE-7 in effect loop 2 on all the time. As you can tell, I don't like the Treble knob in channels 3 & 4...the GE-7 helps me shape the mids and bring back in the highs to my exact taste. For effects (again, this week ) I'm using a TC Electronic in Loop 1.

My amp is a tad darker than most as I'm using a mix of JJ12AX7's and EH's in the preamp slots.

Head over and pop these settings into the database:

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/tone-settings.html

Ned

I recently purchased a RK head and RK 4x12 cab. I'm having trouble getting that "palm muted tripple rectifier heavy metal" metallica-type sound. I've tried looking at settings on this website, as well as the JP settings, but I haven't had any luck. Anyone have any suggestions for attaining that sound without any effects?

Here are mine

Channel 1 > TWEED > 4x6L6 > Tube Recto Tracking
Gain : 1:00
Treb : 12:00
Mids : 8:00
Bass : 1:00
Pres : 1:00

Channel 2 > BRIT > 2xEL34 > Tube Recto Tracking
Gain : 4:00
Treb : 4:00
Mids : 11:00
Bass : 11:00
Pres : 1:00

Channel 3 > VINTAGE > 2xEL34 > Tube Recto Tracking
Gain : 2:00
Treb : 10:00
Mids : 9:30
Bass : 11:00
Pres : 3:15

Channel 4 > VINTAGE > 4x6L6 > Tube Recto Tracking
Gain : 2
Treb : 9:15
Mids : 10:00
Bass : 10:00
Pres : 3:30

MASTER & OUTPUT are to taste

1. Do you ever engage the effects loops without anything plugged into the loop just so you can use the Solo and Master controls?

2. I'm trying to get that heavy metal Tripple Rec / Metallica distortion/3D Palm mutting punch sound out of my Road King. I found this setting sounds awesome when the master is set ultra low (8:00), but it's too quiet. When I crank it up to even 9, it sounds like crap...the bass is terible, and there is this buzzing sound. I'd really appreciate it if you could plug in these settings and let me know how it goes:

Ch 4.
All Loops Off
Loop disengaged
Tube Rectification
4x6L6
Spongy
Presence: None
Gain: Full-on
Treb: 11:30
Mids: 10:30
Bass: 1:30
Mode: Modern

By the way, I'm using the closed back portion of the RK cab for this. I'm determined to get that awesome distortion without a pedal. Have you had any luck?

On my DR Solo head I have tried engaging the loop on without any effects and turning the send level on the back up, with this you can run your channel volumes up and use the master to harness that power. I did'nt really notice enough of a difference, so I don't assign my effects loop to either channel. But with me it was'nt so much gain that I was looking for, I think there is plenty of gain on tap without turning your loop on! Which brings me to your 2nd question, try turning the gain down! Also get your presence control into the picture! But most important, turn that sucker up! :twisted: Oh yeah, try the silicone diodes for rectification and the variac to bold :!:

I definately second JBird... having that much gain really makes the whole amp fuzzy/buzzy. And its going to be really hard to control at stage volumes.

And yeah, for that metal / metallica sound, you gotta get that RK cranking! Mesa Amps aren't what they are known for at bedroom levels. They are a breed which needs to be opened up ALOT!

And the DIODE and BOLD switch should tighten up the low end rumble.

Lower the gain, bold, diode, and crank that b!tch. :twisted:

Jerry

Another vote for lowering the gain. I understand that somebody posted John Petrucci's setting somewhere and his gain was dimed. The only thing I can think of is that his Road King isn't stock...it would have to be modded for the gain to be dimed and the tone not ending up like poo. The only mode in channels 3 & 4 that I can get away diming the gain is on the "Raw" setting.

Keep that gain below 2:00 on vintage or modern and get the power into the tubes. The louder the volume, the more the amp tightens up and gives that distinctive Recto roar. Like InvernessJerry pointed out, the Diode and Bold will help tighten it up, too.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I currently have a loaner RK head that Guitar Center gave to me until mine is built. I wonder if there's something wrong with it. On Ch 1 the thing breaks up and sounds like crap when the master is only at 11:00. My little Marshall VS65R combo amp can go louder without breaking up!! Do you guys think it's the head or maybe the 4x12 cab? Do your RKs break up that easily? It doesn't even sound like "good" breakup...more like distortion from blown speakers.

:D :D :D I fixed it!! Turns out something related to my bloody Footswitch is defective. when I unplug the king kontroller and use manual switching from the back the distorted speaker-blown sound goes away and the amp kicks my ***!!! WOW! This thing is a MONSTER! Sorry, but I'm just so happy right now I can't get the smile off of my face. This amp IS my holy grail! ...now to just get the footswitch working.

Glad to hear you're up and running!!! The one drawback to the RK is that there are sooooooooooooooooooooo many switches that if you accidently hit the wrong one, your sound turns to crap.

Here's a trick that I do...write EVERY setting down for each channel on a 3x5 card (front of amp and back). Give it a once over just as you're setting up on stage. Believe me, there is nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out why one channel's volume isn't working or why an effects loop won't turn off. You'll go crazy until you realize some little switch got bumped during setup.

Latest posts

Back