Anything I should know about Duals?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganboySB

Reaction score
This guy on Ebay says this about the Dual he's selling, "This is a dual rectifier from the early 90's. Supposedly the rectifiers from this era are more desirable due to them being more "hand built" than they are now".
I'm about to buy my very FIRST mesa which will be a Dual Rectifier... any common knowledge I ought to know about them? Such as "most people prefer JJ's in their dual than the stock tubes"? Or, "Yea the earlier built DR's are SOOOO much better than the new ones". Or, " Yea the 3 channel DR's are SOOOOOOOOO much better than the 2 channel DR's". Know what I mean...really would help with my first mesa purchase being a successful one thx.
Ken :)

Over-all, they're all going to sound like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and there's going to be quite a few people that won't be able to tell much of a difference. I liked my '95 Tremoverb head better than my '94 Tremoverb combo and my 2003 Triple Rectifier, but I liked my 2004 Rectoverbs distortion better (when ran through a cab) than my Tremoverb head. But I liked them all :? . That was Kind of confusing, wasn't it?

I usually record several of our shows a month and try to compare my tone with different amps and or guitars, and to be honest they all sounded so close that the only way I could tell them apart was from my typed in notes about the show that says what amp I was using.

Some people say the first 500 are warmer, some just say that about the 2 channel ones and some people say the 3 channel ones are more agressive and they like that better and some say you can make the 2 channel just as agressive and the 3 channel just as warm by messing with the EQ or changing tubes.

I don't think you can go wrong with any Dual IMO, but maybe I'm not as picky either?

I have a 3 channel, dual rec that I bought straight from the boogie factory with custom work (grill etc), and I must say that rocks. I would not give it away for a million dollars. The vintage mode is the best for nice leads and it built like a tank. I also heard many people talking about the clean channel on the new 3 channel has better head room, and just an overal better, cleaner channel. I play in a progressive rock/fusion band and the tone is heavy and nice and round/full. I never played a older dual rec, but like tge other posts say people will complain, and to truly hear the difference is tough. :twisted:

My first Boogie was a 3 Channel DR. I love it and don't regret the purchase at all. I think any one you choose will put a big 'ole grin on your face.

SteveP said:
My first Boogie was a 3 Channel DR. I love it and don't regret the purchase at all. I think any one you choose will put a big 'ole grin on your face.

I had a 3 channel head. Traded with a guy for a 92 2 channel and couldn't be happier.

MichiganboySB said:
This guy on Ebay says this about the Dual he's selling, "This is a dual rectifier from the early 90's. Supposedly the rectifiers from this era are more desirable due to them being more "hand built" than they are now".
Now that's full of baloney. Somewhere during the Mark II era MESA started using a solder machine for the circuit board. Because all of sudden the price dropped and what was usually at least an 18 month and as much as two years wait to get one completed was now less than a year.

But then again he did say "more 'hand built' than they are now" so that E-Bay seller would have to explain that. :?

yeah..they pwn!!!!
seriosuly though-DR are amazing. i have a 1994 DR it's bliss. It's got such a fucking fat wall of distortion. Bottom line, they have HUUUUGE COJONES!!!

if you feel comfortable buying from ebay,get the early 2channel,, then compare with the 3 channel, they both will rock your *** off,,,or save your money and wait for a pre500 s/n!!

Gosh old thread brought back to life 5 months later lol. I couldn't tell you the difference between a 2 channel and 3 channel but I'm happy with my modern 3 channel Dual. I ended up going with EuroTubes "my favorite kit package" for it and using this Avatar 4x12 with V30's and G12T-75's. Ultimately I'm concluding that the way your guitar is setup makes all the diff in the world with regard to tone etc... and concentrating on that.
Ken

Latest posts

Back