Speaker Replacement in LSS (Redux)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackbob

Reaction score
A simple question, really: How hard or easy is it to replace the stock speaker to (for instance) a Celestion Gold? From some of the posts it looks straight forward and some make it seem far more complex. I am only going to do this myself if very far towards the "easy" side of that spectrum. Thanx!

It's so easy to do the actual swap. Take off the two boards on the back, they just need unscrewing. Take out the reverb tank - it's held in place with a black strap which is held with a single screw. You don't need to do it, but take out the power valves. Last thing you want to do is catch those with the speaker.

There are 4 nuts holding the speaker in place. Unscrew those, unplug the speaker lead and lift the speaker out.

If you're okay with a soldering iron, de-solder the speaker cable, but take a note of which colour lead connects to which terminal.

Solder the speaker lead to the appropriate terminals that you noted above and reverse the procedure above. Don't overtighten the nuts that hold the speaker in place, hand tight is fine.

Any questions just ask!

I've got a Celestion Gold in my LSS and it's perfect for it!

Thank you. Now I just have to get over the fear of soldering my tongue to a terminal or some-such. But it sure seems that the feedback on the Gold has been uniformally positive over the stock 15 that the LSS ships with.

The most important thing is to make sure that you don't drop hot solder on the speaker itself. I've got a heatproof, flexible mat that plumbers use when soldering. Cost me a couple of quid in a hardware store.

Other than that, there's nothing else that can go wrong that can't be fixed by desoldering and doing it again.

Thank you for the positive encouragement. I see you're in the UK. I'll just bring it over after the speaker comes in and I'll sport the pint while I ask your assist with the solder!

Bit of a trek from South Carolina, but always welcome the visit...

....AND THE PINT!!! :D :D :D

fox5150 said:
The most important thing is to make sure that you don't drop hot solder on the speaker itself. I've got a heatproof, flexible mat that plumbers use when soldering. Cost me a couple of quid in a hardware store.

Other than that, there's nothing else that can go wrong that can't be fixed by desoldering and doing it again.

I used folded over kitchen paper under the terminals which saved the day when the solder dripped. The only other thing is to make sure you have a soldering iron with enough watts. My 16 watt iron was not enough to solder the very thick wire between amp speaker plug and speaker. Get a 40 watt (minimum) iron.

Latest posts

Back