What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRocksUSA

Reaction score
Being a long time metallica/dream theater fanboy I always knew I had to get my hands on a rectifier, but I can think of 2 specific DVDs that made me really need it

1. Cunnint stunts - James' tone in the very beginning when he starts riffing "bad seed"

that tone blew my mind!

2. Petrucci's rythm tone on "live at budokan" is simply amazing.

I decided on a 3 channel dual recto

what about you guys 8)

Incubus - "Science"
Creed - "Human Clay"
Godsmack - "Awake"
Disturbed - "The Sickness"

...to name just a few.

Metallica all the way!

When it came down to it, it was either a Marshall Mode Four or a Bogie Rectifier. The Recto won hands down.

+Mike+

I was first inspired to go Boogie by Mr. Petrucci's tones - Images & Words really worked for me. I'd really put the idea to the back of my mind, considering the price of Mesa in the UK, until I found and tried a Mark IIC combo in a local music shop. Needless to say, I loved it and bought it.

Me playing it. :D It helped that my old amp was giving me trouble and I wanted something reliable. Oh and it sounded great too.

I took lessons from a fusion player in Augusta GA who used a pair of dual recs for gigs. This shattered the "Mesa amps only do metal" myth for me. I also like some of John Petrucci's tones, and he's used Mesa for years. Also, I have owned some Line 6 modelers and I often found myself using recto models with the gain set low.

My first Mesa product was the Vtwin pedal. I put it in front of my Bassman 50 and loved the sound. I live in an apartment, and it was overkill in both volume, size, and it was very difficult for me to transport. I wanted something with a similar sound but smaller.

I took my Parker Nitefly to a guitar store and tried the F-30. I found all the tones I was looking for so I purchased the amp. I think the F-50 would have probably been a closer match to the sound of the Bassman/Vtwin rig, but I liked the F-30 cleans even better. It is still overkill for my apartment, but it's easier to transport and takes up a lot less space.

I purchased my F-30 over a year ago and have not felt the desire to try out any other amps since. 8)

1. hetfield
2. hammett and burton (think i saw a boogie cabinet in his rigg...not sure which heads he used :oops: )
3. hetfield
4. clutch
5. cannibal corpse
6. hetfield
7. soundgarden

tried my f-50 in GC a year or so ago, bought it and never looked back once. its everything i love in an amp in one neat simple package.

Trial and error search. I went to GC with the intentions of buying a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. Wound up with a LSS 1X12. Great breakup, but not enough clean headroom. I took it back for Fender Twin Reverb RI. Plenty of clean headroom, but the breakup with a TS-9 still sounded artificial. Took the TRRI back and got the LSC 2X12.

All the tones of the Fenders I wanted and the tones of a Mesa too. The LSC covers the rock, blues, country, alt country tones that I wanted. I get puzzzled by all the tube and speaker switching that goes on here, but whatever floats your boat. I get o lot of positive feedback from players I respect regarding the tone of the LSC.

+1 to picnic's post.

I play jam band style, rock, blues, and R&B.

This is an ideal amp for my two needs:
#1 - TONS of delicious clean headroom
#2 - Every so light overdrive

The tweed setting was just icing on the cake for when I need it!

The LSC was the only amp that could meet my needs and tasty tones.

all my friends played with marshalls, I want something louder, meaner, more aggresive and even more louder. So I ended with Mesa =)

ChrisRocksUSA said:
What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?
Voices in my head. :shock: ..............then it happened again and again and................

"An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess" - Mark IV

"Suspended Animation" - Road King

I bought my first mesa product (20/20) because I needed a rack-mounted amplifier & wanted to go back to a tube power section. The 20/20 was the only thing I could find at the time.

Then my ADA MP1 melted in a fire (the 20/20 lived), so I bought the Triaxis because I needed a wide variety of sounds & was used to a midi rack.

Eventually, I stopped being concerned about sounding just like other people (no more cover band gig), and discovered that I really liked the Mark I settings on the Triaxis the best, but still couldn't get "the" gorgeous clean sound (I also really f**ked up my back, had surgery, and decided I would never again move a 4x12!)...

so now I own an LSC! Things are simpler, smaller, and sound better.

I owe Kirk Hammet and James Hetfield the honor of being the first to turn me on to the Mesa tone. Also, there was a local Metallica cover band in my town, and I knew the lead guitarist from school. He used a Triple Rect, and his tone always blew me away.

Then, in 1997 I discovered Dream Theater and John Petrucci's silky tone.

I wasn't in need of a new amp until 2004. Even despite all of my Mesa-inspirations, it wasn't until I discovered the Road King that I became a member of the Mesa family.

Guitarzan said:
Brad Gillis - Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil". 'nuff said.
That was a Mesa?... :shock: OK! time to give that another listen.

Had money to waste. Needed a new amp, something I could grow with. Eyed Mesa/Boogie. Ordered a Road King.

Now a RK2 owner.

Plus!
Hand made in the USA!
Supporting a local business
It's only called the Tone Farm!!!

I have this tone I hear in my head, and it's based largely off these bands;

Nirvana
Metallica
NOFX
Sabbath
Soundgarden

I originally started off with a Rectifier as that's what was recommended, and it got me so close to the tones I was hearing in my head yet could never 100% nail them.

The thing is, most of those bands never used that amp...

Nirvana - Studio Pre
Metallica MkIIC+, MkIV, Triaxis/Stratagy 400
NOFX - MkIII
Sabbath - MkIII Collesium 300
Soundgarden - Dual Rectifier

One day I came across a MkIII for sale and it was nailing every tone I had in my head...bought it, and have never been happier.

A friend of mine back in the 80's had one of the wicker grill Mesa combo's and although not the best player, he got the most monster tone with a BC Rich and the Mesa. 8) That memory kept creeping back when I went amp shopping and as I went thru amp after amp, it was painfully obvious that I was going to end up with a Mesa.
PS - ALL my favorite guitarists play Marshalls (or Soldanos) and I still play a Gary Moore/Michael Schenker style....but I love my Boogie!!!
Actually I can't name anyone that plays a Boogie that I actually listen to :?

Latest posts

Back