Metal Tones from Nomad 100 Head???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potus2028

Reaction score
Hey there - I could use some input from the Nomad owners here...

Just bought a Nomad 100 head - I'm playing an Ibby RG1550 with a DiMarzio D Sonic in the bridge through a Recto 4x12 cab. Drive tones on channels 2 and 3 are not waht I expected, after some clips I had heard. Just not edgy enough, not enough top end bite. I'm looking for more.

I've already done the "clipping the snubbing caps" mod, and I have replaced the preamp tubes with a tone kit from Doug's Tubes. Both helped a bit, but not enough.

My thoughts at this point are:

1) a good OD pedal in front of channels 2/3 should get me into nicely hot rodded Marshall territory...not bad.

2) a good Distortion pedal run through channel 1 to get an all out metal tone...better.

3) both, for versatility sake.

4) EMG's

5) Sell the head and get something that sounds like what I'm looking for...

Thoughts? If anyone out there wants it for what it is, feel free to make me an offer, before I start spending more money....

Thanks.
Gerry

I had good luck with a Tube Screamer in front of channels 2 and 3, but it still wasn't what I really wanted. In the end it turns out I'm a Mark series guy and was running in circles trying to make my Nomad sound like one. For what it's worth, Monsta-Tone can mod your amp a bunch to make it tighter and more DC sounding. [among other things] He's worth contacting if you're thinking about going that route. I traded mine before I could send it to him though.

-dave

Thanks for the input...I've been back and forth with him about that already - shipping costs are really the problem there...FL to NM and back on top of the cost of the work...Ugh.

Lwant to say also that I have been playing around with all 3 channels a lot, and I like the backed-off, gritty, bluesy tones I get out of it...I was having a lot of fun with that last night. and I found a dozen different tones across all three channels. I just ALSO need something to SLAM with...so.....?

Please keep the thoughts coming, guys...

I've had good experience getting a fast tight tone out of the Nomad when using the 3rd channel, and throwing an OD in front of it. The trick is to pull back the Channel 3 gain when doing so. Past a certain point on the gain knob, an OD stops having much effect. I've had a good tight metal tone out of channel 3 with the gain at noon, an OD pedal, treble at 2, mids at noon, bass at 9, and presence at 1.

Can you give me an idea of what/who this sounded like? I get the feeling it's going to be a Zakk-type sound, which would be fine - I'm just trying to get a point of referrence.

Thanks.

Nomad100HD - I'm open to just about anything. I'm good with a soldering iron, etc., so if you can tell me what to do and provide pics (NOT schematics - I don't read that language!) I'm game. PM me with your email address and info on the mods...

I use a TS-10 and a BSAIB2 (modded) on my board. The trick is to (as mentioned above) keep the gain down a bit. I run mine at 10:00 to 11:00 on the amp. I also don't use much distortion out of the pedals, kind of a blend of the two. I use a loop box so I can switch them in or out, depending on what kind of tone I'm going for. If I were you, I would bring the amp to a music store and play around with a good selection of pedals. You should be able to find something that will get you what you want to hear. My BSIAB2 gives me a modern metal tone. I've also used a RAT2 with good results if the distortion is set real low.

Joe

potus2028 said:
Can you give me an idea of what/who this sounded like? I get the feeling it's going to be a Zakk-type sound, which would be fine - I'm just trying to get a point of referrence.

Thanks.

I cannot, unfortunately, as I wasn't looking to cop any one particular band or guitarists sound. I was just fooling around for sh!ts and giggles when I discovered the afore mentioned sound. If it helps you get any better idea of what it might sound like, the OD I was using was a stock Boss SD-1, axe was an Ibanez RG5EX1 (cheap indonesian verson of a MIJ RG) with a stock Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. I run my Nomad through a Peavey XXL 4x12, which is probably gonna sound different than your Recto 4x12 (definately not as much low end, anyway.)

potus2028 i've not done these mods myself, they were recommended to me by my amp modding friends on ppwatt.com when i get a chance i'll take a pic and make a how to.

Ear and Koreth-

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of an MXR Wylde OD...I've had two or three over the years, and sold them to fund other things. I only ever ran it in front of an ADA MP-1 in one modded form or another. I've always loved it. I like that its true bypass also, and not very expensive. I'm thinking that should get me a nice and heavy tone with easilly jumpy pick harmonics.

Nomad100HD - Any idea what to expect from these other mods? Looking forward to your pics and how to...

Thanks again all!

well the coupling cap mod will give you punchier bass i'd expect, and the other will give you a global presence aka an actual presence control.

nomad100hd - still anxiously awaiting the info on those additional mods.

Has anyone had experience with a tube od/dist pedal in front of the Noams, like a V1 Bottle Rocket, Ibanez Tube King, Tube Driver, etc.? I'm thinking a high-voltage tube pedal would add some nice staging to channels 2 and 3...thoughts?

This thread bewilders me a bit as I have to rein in my ch 3 on my Nomad 55 to keep things from getting TOO crazy -- especially on my guitars with "hot" pups. I did, however, see need to add a few rack devices in my loop to give me what I wanted. The first thing Nomads need, IMO, is a good 10 band (or more) graphic EQ. I know the 100 has a built in 5 band, but I haven't had much luck with Mesa's graphic EQs, and my MXR works much better. A BBE Sonic Maximizer helps much too.

And with a Nomad, you want to set the masters on all your channels to desired volume with the "overall master" as low as possible. This results in each of the three channel masters being as high as possible, given your desired volume.

All I know is that my Nomad is stronger on high gain settings than the Mark III I used to own.

i found the opposite true set your channel masters low and your over all master higher. I do thing a sonic maximizer is a must. sorry not had a chance to do the mods yet.

The Nomads have plenty of gain for "the metal" bone stock for sure, but IMHO, it gets too messy and inarticulate past 12:00 on the dial if you run the master and channels volumes low. I've found the same thing as nomad100hd. If you run the master at about 12:00 to 1:00 there is a sweet spot there where the amp breathes fire. It gets way more articulate and touch sensitive, but setting the levels on each channel is a little trickier because the amp behaves different. This is what probably turns folks off about these amps but I like it because there are some huge tones in them for those that like to twist the knobs. I suppose it's kept me from getting bored and buying a bunch of different amps :roll: .

Joe

I’m just wondering ... why you would want to mod a Mesa to sound like a Marshall? It’s way easier to just buy a Marshall. They are **** near giving away DSL and TSL models on Reverb and Guitar Center.

If you want to keep the Mesa but get a more British tone, the first thing you would need to do is switch to EL34 power tubes (huge tonal difference from 6L6s). Make sure your amp has the ability to be re-biased for the EL34s (mine has a switch on the back and they strongly recommend only using Mesa Boogie branded tubes in matched sets).

For comparison... I have a JCM 800, a Bugera 6262, a Blackstar HT100, a TriRec, and a Nomad 100. I play them through Carvin(s), Bugera, and B52 4x12 cabs (I switch them around but mostly I play through the Carvin cabs because they have really great tone regardless of the amp ... and you can pick them up for next to nothing for a celestial loaded, all plywood, made in California, quality cabinet).

I love the Marshall when I’m playing classic rock and 80s metal... but it is a one trick pony and I still have to use OD pedals to get an 80s metal tone (like Ratt or Motley Crue). It has tube rectifiers in the power supply, which make it feel much looser and “vintage” than a modern Marshall amp with a diode rectifier.

Most of my serious metal head buddies all love the Bugera 6262 because of the tight tone and insane gain levels with everything set to 5. It goes from hot-rod crunch machine on channel 1 (early Van Halen/AC/DC type tones) to melt your face off insanity on channel 2 (most gain I’ve ever heard from an amp). It also has SEVEN 12AX7 preamp stages... so no mystery there. It has four EL34s and solid state rectifier, so it is really tight and punchy.

Personally I think the Blackstar has better sound than the Marshall for that tight British tone. It is kind of a hybrid tube amp. It has two 12AX7s and four EL34s, but most of the tone actually comes from digital circuits... not old school tube pre & power amp circuitry. It kind of reminds me of the Marshall AVT series amps, except it has a tube power section. It’s (in my opinion) a more compressed sound, and way easier to control your tone because everything in the digital circuitry is very linear. It is a great all around amp (like the Nomad) but less “breathy” and “snarly”... a bit flatter sounding (like if you used a compressor pedal in front of the preamp and another one in front of the power amp). This is my go to amp for noodling around at the house.

The rest of my metal head buddies love the TriRec on the 3rd channel with the mids scooped and the gain cranked. It basically sounds just like Dimebag Darrell. This is a great amp for metal tones, and channel 1 and 2 can clean up whenever you’re not melting faces. The Bugera 6262 still trounces it for highest gain, but the TriRec has that American Metal sound (courtesy of Mesa preamp design, and 6L6 power tubes) that has become increasingly popular over the last few decades. I also like being able to choose the type of rectifier... I use the pure tube on channels 1 and 2 (looser and less compressed feeling) and the solid state on channel 3 (tightens it up so the higher gain doesn’t sound muddy). By comparison the Bugera has less tonal variety and requires more control from the guitar (rolling off the volume) to change up the tone.

The the Nomad has my favorite tone because it feels grittier and more snarly. I got a Mesa for that very reason. It just feels raw and aggressive even at lower gain levels (it is basically a lower gain version of the which was purchased after the Nomad). This is my second go-to amp, but mostly because the tone is not as linear as the Blackstar. It has the same problem the Marshall has in that it sounds best in a very specific settings range (each channel has a sweet spot) and outside of that spot it doesn’t track linearly... so any adjustments have to be very fine and tested out before making any serious changes. I have each of the channels set in a specific way, and then try to make adjustments with my guitar instead of changing my amp settings.

As for getting metal tones from the Nomad: I do feel like I get more aggressive tones out of it when I’m playing a guitar with hot or active pickups. I also have a 10 band EQ on the front end; and a 10 band EQ, BBE, and an MXR compressor in my effects loop for shaping the tone to fit whatever I’m playing. I can leave the tone knobs at 5 across the board, use the 5 band built in EQ for a boost when I play leads (the solo boost only adds a touch of gain and just doesn’t feel like a big enough boost), the BBE for some sparkle and fuller bottom end on the clean channel, and the 2 EQ pedals for further tonal shaping. The compressor tightens everything up when I need to. I just use the EQs and compressor sparingly.

I suppose (in my opinion) you would be better off trying a few different amps rather than modding the circuitry on your Nomad. It was designed to fit a specific niche market and British tone metal really wasn’t the target audience. If you like Mesa, the rectifier series are good (I’d avoid the roadster 4 channel though), and the Mark V has an “extreme” voicing on it’s 3rd channel that sounds just like a rectifier series on the highest gain setting. I have seen the Mark V 90 watt heads for $800-$1200 on Reverb, and Guitar Center; and rectifier series heads for $500-$1500 depending on the model.

Good Luck!

Back