Triple Rec FX loop question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdylan

Reaction score
Hi again If you read my thread over here I explain that last night I finally got around to tryin the POD XTL in my loop return http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399

Today I played with it some more and noticed that switching between channels totally changes the sound though the channel controls on the front of the amp do nothing.

I noticed because by default my Triple seems to start in the 2nd channel where as last night I had it on the clean channel from playing through the front first. My clean channel is much lower in volume than my 2nd and 3rd channels so it startled me at the same time haha.

How is this ? I mean it is supposed to bypass the pre amp stage so how would switching the channels make a difference but yet the knobs do nothing still. can anyone here explain ? Does this mean the Pre Amp tubes are used then as well ? Upon reading in the manual it just states that the channel 2 and 3 select switches will be enabled and nothing more.

:?:

I assume you are using the XTL as a preamp and hitting the Triple in the loop return for power only. In the amp, the fx loop comes between the tone stack and negative feedback loop before the power amp. If you have the ch2-3 set to modern, you eliminate the neg feedback loop and the amp will be MUCH louder, just like it is when switching form vintage to modern using the head's own preamp. Also, if ch2 or 3 (whichever you use) is set to modern, the presence control wont work either, only master vol.

Note this is my perception of how it works, gained by listening and experimenting. Although I have a fairly decent understanding of what's going on in there, my field of expertise is more about "How to use your Triple to knock down buildings and sound good doing it".

Amp-circuitry guru's please chime in if I'm way off base here.

Is it using the pre amp tubes then ?

It's easy to perceive a volume boost as sounding better and in this case I had a hard time determining if I liked it better which way should I be running it plugging straight into the FX return? the manual says to put the voicing to vintage (I think) which I am about to try but from your ears or experience which have you liked best ? there are alot of possiblities here now having the 3 channels once again change the sound so drastically.

These things are quite a amazing really.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but can't you just disable the amp/cab modeling portion of the POD XT Live and use it for FX? Thus leaving the Recto sound intact!

from what im gathering, heres the problem:
he has his guitar plugged straight into the XTL, and the XTL
plugged straight into the fx return on his T-rec.
solution: plug your guitar into the TRec input, then the
fx send jack into the input of the XTL, and the output of the XTL
into the FX return of the TRec adn turn all amp modeling in the XTL.
the tube buffered fx loop should prevent signal overloads to the XTL.

hehe I WANT to use the XTL as the preamp for home use because the Triple can not go low enough and sound decent enough to use at home (I have 2 kids).

My triple sounds like crap untill it hits a certain volume jump (it is way too low and then suddenly it is far too loud) so using the XTL as a pre amp I have more control over the volume and can actually use my Triple in my house it really is that loud.

The triple is so loud that even at rehearsal i have not been brave enough to take the master above the 9:00 range with the channel volume at around 10:30 - 11:00 and even with this I drown out everyone and back it off to around 8:00 or so.

Another thing is that using the XTL as FX only you can only use time based effects so no chorus,flanger wah wah etc because it is a parallel loop.

mrdylan said:
hehe I WANT to use the XTL as the preamp for home use because the Triple can not go low enough and sound decent enough to use at home (I have 2 kids).

My triple sounds like crap untill it hits a certain volume jump (it is way too low and then suddenly it is far too loud) so using the XTL as a pre amp I have more control over the volume and can actually use my Triple in my house it really is that loud.

In this scenario, I think I would go with ch2-Vintage as a power amp. Maybe you could also try an attenuator like a HotPlate. If you're trying to get balls-out amp tone for quiet practice at home, maybe you could try a pair of headphones with the XTL.

screamingdaisy said:
mrdylan said:
Is it using the pre amp tubes then ?

No, the feedback loop is part of the power section. In vintage and raw it's engaged, but it's removed when in modern.

What the hell is a feedback loop in regards to the rectifier? And what exactly does it do?

NoGlassNoClass said:
mrdylan said:

In this scenario, I think I would go with ch2-Vintage as a power amp. Maybe you could also try an attenuator like a HotPlate. If you're trying to get balls-out amp tone for quiet practice at home, maybe you could try a pair of headphones with the XTL.

Well I can't afford anything else right now and this is working really well I was more less curious about why the channels still worked I wasn't complaining about problems I think a few of you have taken my post the wrong way.

using the XTL as a pre amp is working rather well

Back