Give up Lonestar to get Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjs1962

Reaction score
I just played a Mark V and I'm very impressed, to the point where I'm thinking I want it. I've got a Lonestar 212 combo right now and would be getting a Mark V head and some sort of cab. Thing is, to really afford to get the Mark V (and keep peace at home) I'd probably have to give up my Lonestar in the process. You guys who've been able to try both side-by-side, do you think I'd miss the Lonestar if I replace it with a Mark V? Can the Mark V come close to the tones the Lonestar gets?

fjs1962 said:
I just played a Mark V and I'm very impressed, to the point where I'm thinking I want it. I've got a Lonestar 212 combo right now and would be getting a Mark V head and some sort of cab. Thing is, to really afford to get the Mark V (and keep peace at home) I'd probably have to give up my Lonestar in the process. You guys who've been able to try both side-by-side, do you think I'd miss the Lonestar if I replace it with a Mark V? Can the Mark V come close to the tones the Lonestar gets?

Yes, as a point of reference I am not a fan of the Lonestar.

You can get Lonestar tones out of the Mark V but not the other way around.

Do it!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

I got to check out the Mark V ( and granted it is only at stores, for a total of 2.5 hours) and I would honestly wait a while. I liked the LSC clean with a couple of pedals if front for variety, and really made it cool for different situations.

Thanks for the replies! I actually got the dealer to let me try the Mark V in my studio so I could crank it and compare it to my other stuff. After a couple of hours comparing I have come to the conclusion that while the Mark V is very cool it won't do the sounds the Lonestar does. I was running both amps through the same speakers (a pair of Mesa C90s in a open back cab) and no matter what I tried I couldn't get the Mark V to match the clean and drive channels of the Lonestar. The Mark V could get into the ballpark but just wasn't as rich and "vintage" sounding. the Mark doesn't take pedals as well as the Lonestar either.

All that said, I was really impressed with some of the Mark V sounds, including the clean, which, while not the same as the Lonestar clean I've come to love, was still very nice in it's own way. So unfortunately the Mark V won't replace the Lonestar for me, but it sure would make a great addition. I just need to save up some more cash so I can afford to have both! :D

I haven't heard a Lonestar in person so I can't give you real advice, but if you want the most versatile amp I have ever played, the Mark V is the way to go because it can go from crystal clear clean to ultra dirty piss off the neighbors distortion loudness...I imagine either is great depending on your style, I prefer the latter...

Back