trem-o/rect-o verb vs dual and triple recto distortion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a triple rectifier and my favorite setting for distortion is the vintage setting on channel #2 with the gain all the way up (I never use the "modern" setting). How does the distortion compare on the trem-o-verb or rect-o-verb to ch #2 on my rectifier? Do the "xxxx-o-verb" amps have less gain or are they basically the same? The reason I'm asking it I'm looking to get a less powerful amp (150wts is way too much for me) but I don't want to loose my tone since this is the BEST sounding amp I've ever heard. I've been thinking of a dual recto, but the reverb option would be nice too!! Ultimately, the Road King would be what I'd want, but I can't afford another $750 for one. Just curious is anyone has played both or actuall have a dual/triple rectifier and a xxxx-o-verb amp they can do a side by side comparison. Thanks

You might want to take a look at the Single-Rec as well. 50 tube watts is still a LOUD amp, and might be a good route to travel for vintage tones as it's a lot easier to drive into output tube distortion. IMO the rectoverb is not as "in your face" as the dual/triple, but it's still a member of the same family.

Actually, I'm not looking for vintage tones, I'm using the "vintage" setting for my main distortion sound for playing stuff like Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Metallica, ect..... I'm just not a big fan of the "Modern" settings, it sounds too sizzley to me where the "vintage" mode sounds warmer with close to the same amt of gain. I thought about a single recto, but if I'm going to go from a 3ch amp to a 2ch amp, I want to gain something (reverb) in long run.

I think I'm going to wait and save my money this year and maybe about mid-summer I'll have enough for a Road King head, or maybe I can find someone with a Road King combo that'll trade me for my triple and my genz benz. I'll be gaining a channel and getting reverb at the same time along with the option of using EL34's for a different sound if I want. Yeah....... I think that's going to be the best thing I can do, I know I'll end up with one in the end so I might as well plan on it :lol: and maybe I wont go through as much money this way loosing it in swaps and sales for other amps.

Actually, I like the way the Rectoverb does the Vintage mode, and whats more is the Raw mode on this amp! I think it'd be right up your alley, nicest cleans too with the option of pushing em!

+10000

I have the Rectoverb seris 2 head with the raw channel, 50 watts. This thing is friggin loud. set the master at 9 and the channel modes not about 9 and you tap it any higher and it'l rip your head off in a bedroom :twisted:

Now to put a band together so i can play it in some larger halls!

The clean channel is amazing on these amps i think because of the reverb, adds a lot of dimension and depth. very nice amp. and i think it looks better then the chrome plated duals and tripples :x

I had a Rectoverb, it didn't have the raw setting, but I thought it sounded very good. I ended up having to sell it, but it did a great job, and I really wish I wouldn't of sold it!

I'm loving my rectoverb so much. Had a quick phonecall with mesa tech support today and the tech was very helpful. No being put on hold either. Seems I need to get a line level shifter box for my pedals in the effects loop. Now to find one of those my rig will be back in top shape :twisted:

Well, there are differences all throughout the history of the Recto series. The newer Single Rectifiers (Single Recto Series II and Rectoverb Series II) have a revamped clean channel and that will effect the other 3 gain stages that aid in makeup of the distortion the preamp is producing. They still sound like a Recto and everything, but they will be different from what you're hearing right now with your Triple Recto. It will be subtle.

The Tremoverb's Tremelo circuit loads down the preamp signal and causes that amp to have a cleaner vibe. Also, if you have the 3 channel Triple Rectifier, it will sound a little different compared to the Tremoverb.

If I were you and I was really wanting to step down from a Triple Rectifier and wanted Reverb as an option, I would head straight for a Tremoverb. If you want to bring a Tremoverb down to 50 watts, pull two of the power tubes and one of the Rectifier tubes and you have 50 watts, but it will still sound different compared to a Rectoverb or Single Rectifier. Another thing is that 50 watts is still going to be very loud. You could throw the T-verb in the Spongy Mode and bring her down to about 35 watts with 2 power tubes and a Recto tube pulled.

The only thing that I thought that sucked about the T-verb was that the Clean Channel shifts to Vintage High Gain on Channel 1 via the Mini Toggle and the Modern Red shifts to the Blues mode on Channel 2 via the Mini Toggle. If I remember correctly, you could still clone the Red Channel to Vintage with the Channel Cloning options on the back of the amp.

My hands are tired from typing. I wish you luck brother and I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Dale

Back