The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: nomad mods
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:43 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks to the people who have posted in this thread. I have a Nomad 45 which I have spent some time modding.

I have done the mud mods - PI plate caps removed and the FX loop cap swapped to 47pF. Preamp low pass output cap removed
Crunch and Lead reverb return resistors are paralleled with 100k resistors to get it loud enough for my taste. I experimented with the reverb send stage in case those diodes were clipping but it didnt make a difference, didnt explore further.

Now - there are some good mods to be made to channel 3 to make it significantly less mid-scooped and give it less bees.
Short the 1k resistor in series with the V3b 0.47u cathode cap
The 680k treble peaker resistor sounds much better at smaller values,I settled at ~390k (680k and 1M in parallel) for a good modern sound. 470k sounded good too.
This was combined with reducing the value of the gain pot - i used a 220k resistor across the existing wiper and ground. The wiper resistor tightens up the lead channel a bit, reducing the treble peaker resistor brings out the mids.

Here is what I ended up with. The lead channel sounds very close to the dual rec now. Crunch channel isnt substantially affected. I call it the Bees mod :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12