what are the fillmore speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
I did a quick search and found no resolution, so im gonna ask :)

the 2009 price guide says that there are celestion C90/V30 and Fillmore C90/V30 are there any differences, are they completely different manufactures... if so who is fillmore, and why aren't they prevalent now? (all i know of is clestion, eminences, and EV.. oh and a bunch of small little botique speaker places that make copies)

I can't speak to the diferences, but I'm guessing the "Fillmore" model relates to the concert halls of the 60's and early 70's, namely the Fillmore East and West. (they've been closed for some time.) This model probably has a feel and sound reminiscent of the period when the Fillmores were THE place to see concerts performed by the classic bands of my youth!

I recall seeing something about the Fillmore speakers somewhere, but I can't remember where, and I don't recall what it was about. All I can remember is that I heard of them...lol

I'm sure it didn't have to do with the Fillmore theaters.

Hi gang:
Can I speculate?
I remember the first ads I saw for the Lonestar amps. They were touted as having specially designed 'Filmore' speakers in them. This was way before I ever saw or heard a Lonestar. I think the 'speculation' made by one poster above is correct; that the 'Filmore speaker' was supposed to sound something like the speakers 'USUALLY' encountered at the 'Filmore'.
With bands of the ilk of the Jefferson Airplane, Big Brothere and the Holding Company (etc.) the predominant amps were Fender Twins WITH JBL speakers.
I think the original intent of Mesa was to produce an amp and speaker combination which would draw from that 'sound lineage'.
Somewhere along the way from development to final production they 'went astray' of that goal.
The end result was that channel-2 was 'muddied up' and a 'dark-sounding speaker' (the C90) was incorporated into production amps.
A fellow poster (BobL) has mentioned his speaker search which ended in his recommendation of Weber California speakers (with the aluminum dust cap) and original JBLs. I wholeheartedly concur with his choices. I have made similar tryouts and have found that his speaker choices result in a sound that reminds me of the halcion 'Filmore Days'!
I wish Mesa would 'unveil the 'Filmore speaker'. Knowing their expertise; it was probably a really good speaker!
I think a 'marketting decision' (wanting to appeal to a broader base of potential buyers) resulted in the 'bumping' of the 'Filmore' speaker and the 'muddied gain' of channel-2 (as issued stock).
Cheers: Charles

dmcguitar said:
I did a quick search and found no resolution, so im gonna ask :)

the 2009 price guide says that there are celestion C90/V30 and Fillmore C90/V30 are there any differences, are they completely different manufactures... if so who is fillmore,
Not sure if anyone answered this, but I'm curious. Check out the link.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Accessories/Speakers/Speakers.html

Sure enough, there are 2 distinct C-90's.

Nope, the jury is still out on this one. I've googled Fillmore speakers, and i wind up right back at my post ahahhahha.

there were earlier lonestar posts, and one mentioned that mesa was going to switch to fillmore from celestion because celestion was going chinese. I can't find any evidence to support of refute this.

I wouldn't be posting in a 4 year old thread except that this http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Rectoverb_25/Rectoverb_25.html#gpm1_5 was just announced on MB's website.

Fillmore speakers? They really don't want us to know where they get their OEM parts from, do they?

I believe the Fillmore speakers were supposed to be released with the orig LSC, but never came. The owners manual mentions them, but the amps all shipped with C90s. Interesting they are again touting this strangely mythical speaker with the RV25...

What I think I know about this subject is that Fillmore is Boogie's in-house label. So far as I know they do build their Powerhouse line of bass speakers in house and the idea was to expand production to guitar speakers as well. No idea if this was Boogies actual plan or if it's what the internet machine thought they were going to do.

On the other hand, I know they've been prototyping speakers with other manufacturers. I've talked with a guy who used to work for WGS who said they made a bunch for Boogie but weren't able to achieve whatever it was they were looking for.

The new Fillmore FM75 is apparently being made by Eminence, which I suppose crushes the idea that Fillmore speakers were going to be made in-house. Or maybe Boogie tried but wasn't able to capture what they wanted either and decided to seek outside expertise.

Who knows? I know I don't.

mesaboogie6L6 said:
These --> http://mesaboogie.com/news/2013/11/mesa-boogie-fillmore-75-speakers/

Odd they are "introducing" these about a decade after they included them in the Lonestar owners manual.

I guess they didn't think it would take 9 years to complete the speaker R&D project. Listening to the Rectoverb 25 clips, you can really hear how the speaker doesn't sound fizzy at all. It's actually kind of bizarre since I'm not used to hearing something like that come from a guitar.

In my experience, "warm" tones can be difficult to work with in a band mix. Sound great by themselves at lower volumes, but once an amp gets to the level where it starts to naturally compress AND then add drums and bass...

screamingdaisy said:
What I think I know about this subject is that Fillmore is Boogie's in-house label. So far as I know they do build their Powerhouse line of bass speakers in house and the idea was to expand production to guitar speakers as well. No idea if this was Boogies actual plan or if it's what the internet machine thought they were going to do.

On the other hand, I know they've been prototyping speakers with other manufacturers. I've talked with a guy who used to work for WGS who said they made a bunch for Boogie but weren't able to achieve whatever it was they were looking for.

The new Fillmore FM75 is apparently being made by Eminence, which I suppose crushes the idea that Fillmore speakers were going to be made in-house. Or maybe Boogie tried but wasn't able to capture what they wanted either and decided to seek outside expertise.

Who knows? I know I don't.

We never planned to produce speakers in-house - but to have them custom made to the sound we were after. Thanks!

YellowJacket said:
I guess they didn't think it would take 9 years to complete the speaker R&D project. Listening to the Rectoverb 25 clips, you can really hear how the speaker doesn't sound fizzy at all. It's actually kind of bizarre since I'm not used to hearing something like that come from a guitar.

Mic position.

screamingdaisy said:
YellowJacket said:

Mic position.

Eliminating the high-end fizz associated with the current V30's was a major goal in the development of the Fillmore 75. Thanks!

I probably sound pessimistic but I really want to give these speakers a go.

Are they going in the Recto cabs? And when will they be available for individual purchase?

I probably sound pessimistic but I really want to give these speakers a go.

Are they going in the Recto cabs? And when will they be available for individual purchase?

Whether I'm playing clean or distorted stuff, I am a big fan of the Vintage 30s that Mesa uses in their cabs. I just don't see the Fillmores being able to compete with the Vintage 30s.

That being said, I look forward to trying out a cab with Fillmores. :)

Latest posts

Back