Mesa distortion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardocasm

Reaction score
I've been researching Mesa's because I love their sound and I'm getting ready to buy a new amp. I haven't been able to try one yet (because the nearest dealer is a few hours away and I haven't had time to make a trip out there yet), but I think the dual rectifier is what I'm looking for. Since I haven't been able to play one yet, I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Can the dual rec. get a distortion like this : http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/huckit/Blue%20clip%20distortion.mp3

I donno. There's so much modulation on that guitar it could be alot of amps, but it doesn't really sound like a Rectifier to me. A Recto can get that heavy (and heavier), but I wouldn't know how to get it to sound like that.

Ohhh....a DR can do that easily.....you'll be amazing at how horrible it will make that clip sound....that one souded like a line 6 or something of the sort....wait for the recto and you'll see.

Yeah, the DR can do that easily!! The thing about a DR though, it's not a real tight low-end, but it's the most musical distortion I've ever heard and one of the most aggresive too! Don't get me wrong, the DR has plenty of low end, but it doens't have a real "tight" low end. I have a semi-hard clip on my site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com , go to Road King clips and the top one is all DR in the Vintage mode (rhythm and lead). Not quite as heavy, but I wasn't going for a real heavy tone either.

If your not sure what your looking for, do some research into what gear some of your favorite players are using! I mean, I hate to admit it, but Wes Borland's tone on the 2nd Biscuit album crushed me, after I saw him playing Rectifiers, I had to have one! That and Nickelback's tone, they seem to caress some great recorded tones out of they're Recs!

I've been doing a bit of research, but I just wasn't sure exactly how heavy the amp could get without the studio treatment. I got to mess around with a dual for a bit yesterday and I have to get it.

I've been doing a bit of research, but I just wasn't sure exactly how heavy the amp could get without the studio treatment.

You serious??

Trust me... I only have my gain on 6 or 7 (to help articulate chords)... and it's HEAVY.....

SOMETIMES, I'll push my modded TS-9 in front of it to get REALLY nasty.. and I mean... NASTY....

If you're fretting about not having enough gain... .Rest assured my friend.... You'll have plenty of gain to spare!!! :D

Back